main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anthology: News and Rumors (General Discussion Welcome)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    If it's during the summer then... D23?

D23 Expo seems like the next best time to announce a new movie since it didn't happen during Celebration.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think we need to stop being so hung up on conventions and events - many of the big announcements in the past few years have happened on random days in the middle of a random week through starwars.com and Twitter.

PymParticles likes this.
  3. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I mean we got everything at celebration as predicted so maybe this isn't right if it is in the summer it probably would be at d23 or comic con one of the two.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The Han Solo movie also got announced during the summer, and it was on a totally random day on the official website pretty late at night. Just because there are summer events happening doesn't mean that's when they're going to announce it at one of them. I'm actually leaning towards the "random day online" thing. They have a pretty good track record of announcing films after they've hired a director, instead of putting that cart before the horse. When they announced Lord/Miller on the Han Solo film, the official website's article went up a few minutes after the major Hollywood trades reported it. I'm guessing we'll see that this time; they'll announce it because they kind of have to take control of the information that'll be going around.

Jonipoon likes this.
  5. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015

yeah its always a nice surprise too, I really want an announcement for anthology and what they are doing after this ST.

6. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
  7. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I've never seen this source for anything before, so I don't know how reliable it is. Let's assume for two seconds that this is true, as it could potentially mean a few things.
    1. Some time ago Bob Iger (I think?) said that they already had a screenwriter working on the third standalone. Either this means that Sam Esmail is taking over the project, or...
    2. ...This is completely unrelated to the film that was discussed some months back. Meaning, either this would be the fourth standalone film, or this is getting bumped up to third and the other film (which is almost certainly the Boba Fett film Josh Trank was working on before being let go) got bumped back again or scrapped entirely.
    Again, though, that's presuming that this source is reliable and their information accurate.

Gigoran Monk and GregMcP like this.
  8. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    Simon Kinberg said last year that he was working on a script for a Star Wars spinoff. I still think that was for Boba Fett and that we'll be getting the Boba Fett movie in May 2020. Then we'll see Han Solo 2 in 2021 and probably Obi-Wan in 2022.

I think everything for Boba Fett is ready to go except for the final contract negotiations with the director. Once the director is set in the next couple of months, I think we'll get the announcement.

I bet they'll hope the Kasdans and Lord & Miller come back for Han Solo 2. This Han Solo concept is perfect for several films where Han can go off on various self-contained adventures. I don't think they'll want to wait more than 3 years between Han Solo films, so I think we'll get Han Solo 2 in May 2021. They'll probably announce Han Solo 2 during the summer of 2018 after the first Han Solo movie comes out.

The Mr. Robot writer is great at creating suspense during quieter moments, which would be perfect for an old Obi-Wan film on Tatooine. They probably are just getting around to hiring the writer to crack that story, and then they'll approach Ewan McGregor once they have a rough script that they're comfortable with. The Obi-Wan movie then would probably get released in 2022.

GregMcP likes this.
  9. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    As I've said before, it makes more sense for them to make the Obi-Wan movie before they make the Boba Fett movie.

The reason for why is simple - you can always find a new actor for Boba Fett, but you can't find someone to replace Ewan McGregor (who isn't getting younger, although I KNOW people have pointed out how young he still looks countless of times).

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  10. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    Most people who want an Obi-Wan film want an older Obi-Wan film. Alec Guinness was almost 60 in ANH. Ewan is only in his mid-forties. They have plenty of time for an Obi-Wan film.

B3 and Taylore like this.
  11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Ewan McGregor is a guy not short of work.
    The timing of the film may revolve around finding a free 6 months.

B3 likes this.
  12. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I would personally like to see story-based spin offs rather than character based ones. An Obi-Wan spin off would be fine but beyond that, have all new character set etiher MANY years prior to the PT or MANY MANY years after the ST where the Force is "rediscovered" during hard times.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I think that kind of concept is more suited for a full trilogy-length arc rather than a standalone spin-off.

Avnar and Taylore like this.
  14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Yep-that's what I had in mind! :D

PymParticles likes this.
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

It's hard though when all of the story arcs are in the Saga as of now. You would have to start at Film 1 and then go from there, negating the purpose of the spinoff or stand alone concept.

Honestly, I hope they do other trilogies and don't just restrict that structure to the Saga films.

16. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016

Given the success and awesomeness of Rogue One, I'm all for one-and-done films that are story-based. Trilogy structures can be limiting, IMO. Individual films can more easily swing for the fences.

my kind of scum likes this.
  17. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Sam is so exciting for a director his work goes there, and its great he confuses the audience but in the best way. I personally would be so so excited to hear he's actually working on a stand alone SW.

18. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Wait. Sam?

19. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Sam Esmail, the Mr. Robot guy, as per this dubiously reliable (I am being very generous here) article that was posted a bit higher up on this page.

http://omegaunderground.com/2017/04...-esmail-might-pen-star-wars-anthology-script/

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I've never heard of omegaunderground but I'm going to believe this report because it confirms my greatest wish. So Obi-Wan movie is definitely happening now! Yay! :p

Jonipoon, Baron_Papanerd and B3 like this.
  21. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
  22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_dancing] Young Obi-Wan!!!!!!

23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    That's right, give in to hope, set yourselves up for disappointment... The more excited you get, the more sorrow and rage I have to feast on when a Boba Fett film is announced instead.

[​IMG]

24. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015

or young obi

25. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I mean... this is almost certainly going to be the film Josh Trank was working on, considering they said that it was simply pushed back from its intended 2018 release and not outright cancelled and it would probably be released in 2020. We've had confirmation twice now that this was a Boba Fett film. Logic would dictate that this is the movie that would be announced this summer for a 2020 release. I would bet money this is what gets announced (I'm not actually going to, I don't have cash to throw away like that, don't @ me), and I'd be flat out shocked if it's not. I would willingly eat so much crow.

On the flip side, we've had no indication that an Obi-Wan film was happening. Literally none. And no, rumors on a website along the lines of "We've heard that this might be an Obi-Wan film possible maybe" do not count. Gareth Edwards has said he'd like to see it, sure, but JJ Abrams has said he want to see a Knights of Ren spin-off, and it's not like that's going to happen. But the fact of the matter is that whatever film they're releasing in 2020 has been in some form of development for years. We know for a fact that it has a screenwriter attached, meaning at least one draft is sitting around somewhere. They're also probably close to locking down a director if they haven't done so behind the scenes already, because they've yet to announce a film without a director attached; they haven't been putting the cart before the horse with these movies, save for Episode VII because that was sort of a unique situation.

You don't have a screenwriter, a script, and a director all on board without at least calling your star actor and making sure he's free to do the movie when you'd need him to do the movie, and Ewan McGregor has said more than once that he hasn't received a call and no one has spoken to him about it. Unless he's brazenly lying about it (and I doubt that since he once got frustrated when asked the question for the 80th time saying he doesn't want to make it seem like he's fishing for work and he's simply commenting on the fan desire for such a film to happen), it's not happening. He's the first person you would call, maybe the second if you want to give him a script to look at first, and he hasn't gotten a call. Best case scenario: this movie happens eventually, but not in 2020. Worst case scenario: it's not going to happen at all, and this is what I'm leaning to.

I swear to god, this movie has been the weirdest case of "I really want this to happen so I'm going to believe it's 100% happening for sure even though all signs have pointed to it not happening." The only reason this even frustrates me is because there are so many fans that are building this up in their heads as a sure thing, and as soon as the Boba Fett film (or literally anything else) is announced instead, they're going to be up in arms screaming, "Why are they making this movie instead of my Obi-Wan film?!?!" as if it's something they're entitled to and were promised. And for the next two years we're going to see eighteen thousand posts like "Am I the only one that wants an Obi-Wan movie instead of this?" until the movie comes out and everyone loves it and moves on to complain about the next non-Kenobi standalone film.

Rant over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.