main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anthology vs SE

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by MatthewZ, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I have the 4-Disc Anthology is there any major differences between that and the SE versions? Am I missing anything worth having?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Unfortunately, you're missing out on quite a bit.

3. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    Reposted from another thread:

A New Hope

i) The Final 25 seconds of The Moisture Farm (Previously titled The Robot Auction) are cut.
    ii) Approx. the first 30 seconds of Attack of the Sandpeople (Previously titled Land of the Sandpeople) are cut.
    iii) The second half of Tales of a Jedi Knight and all of Learn About the Force (approx. 3 minutes of music in all) are absent.
    iv) The bonus track Binary Sunset (Alternate) is not present, neither are the five original takes of the Main Title that can be found at the end of the SE disc 1.
    v) The first 20 seconds of Imperial Cruiser Pursuit (Previously titled Blasting Off) are cut.
    vi) The 2 minute long cue The Stormtroopers is not present.

The Empire Strikes Back

i) 10 seconds of The Ice Planet Hoth (Previously titled The Imperial Probe) are cut.
    ii) The 3 minute cue Vision of Obi-Wan is not present.
    iii) The entire 4 1/2 minute track The Imperial Probe / Aboard the Executor is not present.
    iv) A 2 second cut was made to Escape In the Millenium Falcon (Previously titled The Rebels Escape Again).
    v) The last 1 1/2 minutes approx. of Arrival on Dagobah (Previously titled Crash Landing) is not present.
    vi) The 3 1/2 minute cue Mynock Cave was not included on the Anthology set, despite it's earlier (truncated) appearance on the original Empire soundtrack.
    vii) The second half of The Training of a Jedi Knight (approx. 1 minute of music) is not present.
    viii) The cue Imperial Starfleet Deployed, which runs for approx. 1'15, is not included.
    ix) The entire 3'46 track Betrayal at Bespin is absent.
    x) The entire 2'37 track Deal With the Dark Lord is absent.
    xi) A 40 second alternate segment of Carbon Freeze was not included.
    xii) 10 seconds of The Rebel Fleet/End Title (Previously titled Finale/End Credits) is cut.

Return of the Jedi

i) The following cues do not appear in any form on the Anthology:
    - Tatooine Rendezvous (4'03 approx.)
    - The Droids Are Captured (1'17)
    - Bounty For a Wookiee (2'50)
    - The Pit of Carkoon (1'00 approx.)
    - Alliance Assembly (2'13)
    - Speeder Bike Chase/Land of the Ewoks (9'38)
    - The Levitation/Threepio's Bedtime Story (2'46)
    - Jabba's Baroque Recital (Source Music) (3'09)
    - Jedi Rocks (Source Music) (2'42)
    - The Lightsaber (1'36 approx.)
    - Victory Celebration (2'30 approx.)
    - Ewok Feast/Part of the Tribe (Source Music) (4'02)
    ii) Approx. the last minute of Han Solo Returns is the original version written for the film, instead of the segment of the concert piece Jabba the Hutt that appeared on all previous releases.
    iii) Only 3 1/2 minutes is included from the 8'51 cue Luke Confronts Jabba/Den of the Rancor/Sarlacc Sentence on the Anthology (The track entitled Fight in the Dungeon).
    iv) Almost 3 minutes of music for the cue Obi Wan's Revelation (which was written to follow on directly from The Death of Yoda) are absent.
    v) A slightly different version of Shuttle Tyderium Approaches Endor (Previously titled Faking the Code) appeared on the Anthology; the film version is presented on the SE.
    vi) The 10'40 track Brother and Sister/Father and Son/The Fleet Enters Hyperspace/Heroic Ewok is cut down to about 6 minutes of music on the Anthology (the tracks Heroic Ewok/The Fleet Goes Into Hyperspace and Brother and Sister).
    vii) Approx. 2 minutes of The Battle of Endor 1 is cut.
    viii) Approx. 1 minute of The Battle of Endor 2 is cut.
    ix) Approx. 2 minutes of The Battle of Endor 3 is cut.

Overall you're looking at 20 minutes missing from ANH (if you include the 5 Main Title takes), 22 minutes from TESB and around 57 minutes from ROTJ.

So, yeah... ;) For completeness, you can't beat the SE's. Sound quality is a different matter though. For some reason, the 2-Disc SE of ROTJ doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the Anthology, and the SE of TESB has some mixing problems (most of the orchestra is mixed to dead centre in the stereo field on the majority of the tracks) that the Anthology doesn't have. The SE of ANH is very good quality though, and also corrects a l

4. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Thank you.

I had no idea it would be this much.

I might have to pick up the new box set then. Driving across country next year....they'll come in handy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.