main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anthony Daniels blames the prequels and George Lucas

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SW Saga Fan, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scum

Rebel Scum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 20, 1999
    Just noting a trend here for this particular forum from back in the day. Of course there will be people even older than me that might like it as much or more than the OT.
    You'll have to admit though that for this group the average fan will probably not put it on par with the OT.

2. Rebel Scum

Apr 20, 1999
    Oh yeah forgot to add that. While he is right and I agree with him, it's quite low to come out now that Lucas is not involved anymore and "bash" the prequels.

3. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I'm almost 26 and I'm now working as an engineer in transportation and traffic with responsibilities. Even if I've passed a long time ago that period of recklessness, I still do like the saga as a whole, whether it is the PT or the OT. You seem to forget that it has been 10 to 15 years since the PT was released and now a lot of the children and teenagers who have watched it have now grown up and are no longer prepubescent boys and girls.

heels1785 and Bazinga'd : Maybe this is a thread to follow. I hope I won't regret for having created it.

4. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Oh, I know. I don't doubt that the JCF is more prequel-friendly now than back then. I just had to speak for my demographic for archival purposes here:p

You know, I've always really wondered about that. Perhaps for middle-aged people who consider themselves really "die-hard" or "extreme" fans, that is true. (And I quickly discovered once joining the JCF that, while I truly love SW and always have, a lot of people around here are _way_ more into SW than I am in terms of their level of collecting and other activities.) But among the more "casual fan" and/or general audiences demographic, I'm not so sure, though you may be right (as differences in imdb scores seem to suggest).

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. Rebel Scum

Apr 20, 1999
    I am stuck in a time warp as far as TFN is concerned and anyone born 1990 onwards is prepubescent to me :p

In any case this is my point basically. People that grew up with the PT and having watched say TPM aged 7 might not find JJ Binks as annoying as oldtimers do.

6. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Rebel Scum I don't want to be picky here, but that's not funny...

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    We're getting pretty much entirely off track here, guys. Let's not necessitate a mod get involved and we can just talk about Daniels and our thoughts on what he's said

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It is strange to hear him say that, but if he is on record about the other films, then it isn't completely out of the blue.

There was plenty of support back in the day. It grew over time, but it was there. And a good chunk of us were already adults when TPM came out.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    You know, Daniels, if it was that bad, then please give all your money you made off of it to charity.

Andy Wylde and podjazd like this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Those of you who decided to enter the thread with the intent of derailing it, please review your posts carefully - they have been edited, and you have been warned. No intention of taking this any further, please just carry on responsibly.

mes520 and Thoix Heoro like this.
  11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It wasn't that big of a bash he gave to the PT. However, Lucas didn't have to cast him in all three PT films so I'm not sure I would be that critical. Lucas basically paid for your retirement Anthony. Just be glad he invited you back and bask in the glow of the SW legacy and endless paychecks.

12. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Daniels is entitled to his opinion but I'm also entitled to not respect his opinion. I actually lost some respect for him here. He should know better than to preach the false talking points of the PT having no real sets and being totally CGI. And heck even if the PT was totally CGI it wouldn't make them bad films. CGI is just a tool like practical is. Shame on you Daniels.

Andy Wylde and podjazd like this.
  13. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Anthony Daniels said before that he didn't enjoy working on the PT as much as the first ones, and found TFA to be a return to form. I'm sure he enjoyed working with the legacy cast again alongside the new ones. From what I'm hearing, TFA set was a far better working environment than the PT sets were.

Stop. You used the "Justice Warriors" line before - wasn't funny or appropriate then, isn't funny or appropriate now. It's baiting, pure and simple, which is not allowed.

14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it's not any criticism, it's relentless sarcastic remarks that they were the worst movies of all time from the people that dont like them

Andy Wylde and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  15. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    My mistake!

16. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    It must be nice to live in that delusional world. I have never seen one PT fan on this forum or any other attack anyone that simply doesn't like the PT. It's the ones with the condescending viewpoints that look down on others that enjoy the PT are the ones the "PT Warriors" have a problem with.

Also not okay to bash OT fans in here. We respect everyone.

Andy Wylde and Thoix Heoro like this.
  17. Mandalore The Ultimate

Mandalore The Ultimate Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2015
    What if it really is his opinion? Not everyone who dislike the prequels are following the crowd. But I would like him to explain further.

18. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    For me at the least, in this article from The Guardian, Anthony's tone towards George Lucas and the PT has changed from what it was, 3 years ago, when The Phantom Menace was released in 3D. Back then, he was praising George for being very innovative and to improve technology of film-making (I'm reading in his lines on the video below that he was also praising George's idea to use CGI in the making of the PT even if he doesn't mention it explicitly) when The Phantom Menace premiered on 3D in the video below at 3:44 :

What might have happened in 3 years? Is this another attempt to repeat "Practical effects here! Practical effects there!" in order to sell the new movie?

Don't get me wrong when I created this thread, I like very much Anthony Daniels! He always makes me smile when he talks on the screen because I always have the impression that it is C3-PO talking. He was the perfect choice for C3-PO and I don't see anyone else taking his role in future Star Wars movies.

19. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    I was just watching the ROTS special features last night and you can tell Daniels enjoyed working on the film and seemed very emotional(as at that time ROTS seemed to be the final film in the saga). Something has certainly changed over the years. I think the current marketing talking points of the TFA has a lot to do with it.

EDIT: Found the clip

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Honestly, I laugh if someone criticizes the OT. Laughing is much healthier than getting upset about it. This is really getting absurd as a conspiracy theory that Disney is asking people like Daniels to take a swing at the PT. Especially when he criticized Disney in the same interview. And if someone criticizes the OT and I agree, I won't deny it or defend it just because I'm 'upset' about it.

TX-20 likes this.
  21. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    That's easy to say since the OT hasn't been bashed as much as the PT has in the mainstream media and on the internet. It seems to many only the PT is allowed to be criticized everything else is off limits. And its quite weird how in the featurettes for the PT Daniels seems to having a good time. I think its foolish to deny Disney may have something to do with him spouting out such lies.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. StarKiller81

Nov 19, 2014
    Well, as a fan I can understand it though. In the sense I enjoyed the prequels when I first saw them but then they lost their appeal with each passing year. Of course there are still some things I like about them but they just didn't stand the test of time for me.

23. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    Exactly you have no issues with the strong PT criticism because you share those viewpoints I assume. You are certainly entitled to your views as are the other fans that just simply didn't enjoy the films. The problem comes into play when the media and some OT purists push the false belief that they are universally hated films and insult those that enjoy the films. Especially since most PT fans are also saga fans that love all 6 films.

Andy Wylde, podjazd and Thoix Heoro like this.
  24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    To suggest this counts as actual content is something I extremely disagree with. To be clear, I am not slamming the people who made it, thinking less of it because it's for younger people, or saying it's bad. What I'm saying is that, yes, it is technically Star Wars PT stuff, but none of that (as far as I know) is canon. Now, I know canon is not the be-all end-all, but this is not the same kind of serious, legitimate PT content we got under GL.

25. StarKiller81

Nov 19, 2014
    I wouldn't care if the OT was ripped to shreds. That wouldn't affect my love of it. And honestly, how many people really believe the PT is universally hated?

TX-20 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.