main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT 'Anti-Cheese' and 'Mature' edits now absent from YouTube.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Heroic BB-8, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I actually think the reverse is true.

Different strokes I guess!

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It's been my understanding that there's a difference in the way Lucasfilm has treated fan works based on the movies, and re-edits of the movies themselves. The former was allowed (and, at Celebrations, commended), provided that the makers didn't profit monetarily, and it was made clear that it was a fan-made production, and not an official entry in the series.

I don't know if Disney, which is notoriously zealous in guarding its copyrights, takes a stricter view of the situation.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  3. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    The problem with 'fan edits' is that each one, while they may offer new slant on viewing the film, is just another personal statement on what 'works' in the films for them.

I watched some of the 'mature' edits, and some of the changes were interesting, but occasionally there would be a strange feeling of something missing, and I would think - 'hey wait a minute - why did you take that bit out - I really liked it !'.

Whenever there is a 'what is your favourite moment in the PT?' post, I am amazed that for almost every scene there is a fan as well as a detractor. Someone mentioned the lack of the picnic frolicking scenes. Well I like them - and have no problem with them in AOTC, so a 'fan edit' is basically saying - 'no you are wrong, so I'm taking them out for you.' In fact, somebody has to be the one to tell the people what stays and goes. So who should it be? No - not you of course, someone wise and powerful. [face_devil]

Besides, it's a trivial matter to edit a film at home these days if you are that serious - so do your own and be done with it. Youtube is all about clicks and diverting traffic to YOU - so Star Wars with it's black hole strength click attraction seams fair game for those million plus worth monetizing view numbers.

Mmm. I can't make any original content amazing enough to attract the worlds' attention, I guess I could borrow someone else's.

Now, what's popular right now ...?

4. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    The target audience of fan-edits of the PT are people that don't like the GL versions. Why are you taking it personally?

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  5. SeventySeven

Jul 18, 2002
    I'm not taking it 'personally'. People love jumping on this idea of people being personally affronted round here, there is that word for it - 'butt hurt', a nice catch all to call out people crying when they shoudn't - see especially P.T. fans *** sigh ***

Anyway, if you are taking part in a conversation and have an opinion you are ispso facto taking it 'personally' unless by that you meaning bubbling about it.

My example was how editing is subjective, wether GL or anybody else does it. I quite like the mature edits, but as I said I realised that scenes I maybe thought were actually OK from the point of view I have to second guess from the editor, were missing. Fine if other people like them.

However my point about copyright I stand by. If you have a love hate relationship with something so much you can't just move on, make your own personal copy for home. Don't expect a free ride on somebody else's work just because you can use the scissor tool on an editor.

Cryogenic, Ezon Pin and Collin Tongue like this.
  6. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Glad those pieces of garbage are gone from YouTube. Now people can watch the real thing.

7. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Those should be removed as well.

Larsonator likes this.
  8. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Whatever. LFL certainly lost no money on them from me. I've bought the OT in various formats many times over the years, and own the blu-ray collection too. If LFL put out something of the quality of the de-specialized editions, I would buy those too. But the de-speciliazed editions are generally distributed as torrents anyway.

9. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    I must admit that I downloaded the de-specialized editions a while ago and, despite owning several officially released versions (including the 2006 theatrical bonus discs), they are now my go to versions of the OT.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Best not to, I think. Ideally one should err on the side of caution
    Once it's out for home video, as always, clips are fine obviously

It's interesting how fan edits can stay up for so long, and yet I recall this one video of the I-VI all being played at once in different panels being up for hardly a week, if that. I wonder what the standards here are....

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Best not to, I think. Ideally one should err on the side of caution
    Once it's out for home video, as always, clips are fine obviously

It's interesting how fan edits can stay up for so long, and yet I recall this one video of the I-VI all being played at once in different panels being up for hardly a week, if that. I wonder what the standards here are....

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Right. And with Disney being more stringent on copyright than Fox and Lucasfilm alone, it isn't surprising that there's a crackdown.

As I understood it, Lucas didn't mind the edit itself, but he took issue with it being done for profit. The person behind the edit was selling them and others were doing the same. It was shortly after that that Lucasfilm announced the whole fan film contest and what not.

Right. If I ever get around to doing it, I have a fan edit of what I would to do "Highlander Endgame" that would merge the different cuts together. But I would never sell it, much less advertise it on Youtube.

Seagoat likes this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    darth-sinister sounds kinda like the two fan edits I did for the last two Hobbit movies. I liked them as movies but as adaptations they fell a bit short for me. So while my edits do make them closer to the book, I definitely don't claim I made a better movie than Peter Jackson (my second favorite film maker period), or sell it for profit. It's made purely for my own enjoyment, since I'm a huge fan of Tolkien's books.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  14. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    The de-specialized OT is only available to the general public via torrent and has never been available on a public Youtube channel except via special invitation to private collectors channels. The collectors prefer this as well, so you are on the same page as the purists on this one.

Kind of a win/win. People that want the Original OT get it, and the people that don't want it, don't have to accidentally run across it.

Heroic BB-8 and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

In my case with "Highlander Endgame", it's just better than watching both the Producer's Cut and the Early Cut on the Region One DVD back to back. That and certain editing choices work for what was intended, but it would be a lot better getting the whole picture.

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    Oh ok I take back what I said then. I thought they were uploaded to YouTube like the fan edits of the PT were. I'm perfectly fine for those to have access to unaltered OT via torrent if they wish. Though I have to say I wish Lucas thought of releasing a special box set for Star Wars that includes the OOT and SE's. SW is the one franchise that deserves the best box set treatment.

17. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm still stuck on this...I don't get the idea of Star Wars without "cheese". Like...why? And how?

Star Wars IS cheese. A big, delicious, gigantic ol' chunk of cheese. Do the people editing out the "cheese" think Star Wars is actually cool, or that it was actually cool at one point? And that editing out certain parts of a given episode will make it cool again and, therefore, the viewers themselves will also be cool by extension? Because...I think I have some bad news for those people. ;)

18. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    I think these ppl that do these edits wanna pretend that SW are some deep arthouse flicks or something lol. SW is is suppose to be cheesy and fun that was Lucas's intention from the start. There is plenty of cheese in the OT and there will be more cheese in the ST. It's Star Wars take it or leave it lol.

19. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    Keeping the OOT off Youtube helps ensure that only the highest quality version propagates rather than low - def YTD versions.

20. Collin Tongue

Collin Tongue Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2016

I know, right?! I really dug the anti cheese cut when I watched it, the editor was very clever in making the whole movie far more enjoyable with his subtitles.

21. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    i expect that on this very forum one would have trouble swinging a dead cat without hitting someone of the opinion that Star Wars is cool.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  22. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    Months ago, out of curiosity, I started watching the one that edited all 3 prequels into one movie. I was like yeah ok to some of the stuff, at least in that it was showing the best/most important parts. Then in AOTC they added in the deleted scenes of Anakin hanging out with Padme's family and edited OUT the tusken slaughter confession. I was like SERIOUSLY? and stopped watching at that point since i realized then that the editor actually did not have a good grasp on what was important and what wasn't

23. Collin Tongue

Collin Tongue Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2016
    I agree with that, I don't like the special editions changes much I prefer the original films unaltered from 1990's cgi(Han stepping on Jabba's tail, Greedo shooting first, things like that)

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  24. SeventySeven

Jul 18, 2002
    Exactly. I watched the beginning of the mature 'ROTS' - I just fancied some Star Wars in bed on my phone, and they had cut out R2D2 versus the Battle Droids. I mean come on? R2D2 finally gets a baddass fight scene in what was at the time the last movie ever, and you cut it out? Oh that makes you really mature and cool NOT WATCHING ROBOTS FIGHT! Look at me refusing to watch it.

Well let's get rid of the torture chamber in ROTJ, oh and the mouse droids on the death star - what the h@ll are those doing on a planet destroyer - and that's the funniest joke ever when they squeek away from Chewie right? Maybe there is a way of getting rid of the bickering C3PO walking in front of the invading stormtroopers in ANH, or R2D2 fighting with yoda in ESB. Pure cheesy 80's muppetry.

When I was young watching ESB in the cinema I mentally, as a hyperactive youngster, edited out mostly everything once Luke was on Degobah and the Falcon was in the asteroid tunnel. The sequence Lucas was afraid of had begun, and the metal elephant bit was over.

I grew older and eventually appreciated it. Until I went to college during the uncool Star Wars days when I pretended to only like the films 'ironically' as a bit of 70's kitsch. Then as a proper adult I liked them again.

Another thing, back then films played for five years before coming on t.v let alone video. Every viewing had to be paid for. When the VHS arrived they were poor quality often on small screens compared to todays digital masters shown on hi def big flat T.V's - yet they were valued artifacts. Now everybody not only demands as quickly as posible the films for themselves in the best quality possible, but get on cutting them to bits, literally and metaphorically - laughing at them on youtube, appropriating them for thier own means and expect to be allowed to act as if they own them wether they intend to treat them with respect or trash them.

Society is very different, spoiled - puffed up with a decadent sense of self entitlement these days.

Huttese 101, Cryogenic and Mnhay27 like this.
  25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I have a movie you guys might be looking for then, it's called The Lord of the Rings.

Cryogenic likes this.
  26. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Oh man, you are so right!

I for one have never understood where people get their sense of entitlement from, what makes them think they have some kind of god given right to own HD versions of the unaltered OT, and why they feel justified in bad mouthing Lucas for not giving it to them.

This might come as a bit of a shock to those people but NEWSFLASH: George Lucas owes you nothing and you never had any right to demand anything from him!

Every time you paid to see the OT in the cinema, you saw it. Every time you paid for a VHS or laserdisc you got it. Your "contract" with Lucas was fulfilled. And just because you want him to sell you his art yet again in yet another format doesn't mean you have the right to demand it or try to paint him as a villain when he doesn't give it to you.