main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT 'Anti-Cheese' and 'Mature' edits now absent from YouTube.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Heroic BB-8, Jan 23, 2016.

1. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    good, we dont need people who dont like the PT in the first place chopping out good and special parts of the Episodes anyway!

Slicer87 and Tonyg like this.
  2. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    I hope Disney doesnt crack down on youtubers like Marcelo Zuniga (HD star wars clips).

3. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    While I don't really support the decision to take them down, it makes sense. They're posting the entire movies on youtube with pretty minor edits. Star Wars has actually been pretty lenient in regards to keeping up reviews and fan-edits of the films. That being said, if they try to take something like the Plinkett reviews down, then there'll be hell to pay (though that seems relatively unlikely as the makers of The Force Awakens seems to have wisely taken its criticisms to heart).

4. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    Well, I watched all of the "new editions" of those spliced movies for two reasons:

1) Because TFA was coming out and I wanted to re-watch the Saga before seeing the newest addition

2) ...Because I didn't have the movies with me and was too lazy to find a full and complete version somewhere else

Bonus: Curiosity!

Anyway, I love the full editions of the movies, cheese and all but I was still interested in seeing how others would have altered it. Knowing YT would take them down eventually, I watched all of them. I didn't care one bit for the edited or "Mature/Anti-Cheese" editions of AotC or RotS (the latter especially hurt my soul since it is my favorite)...but in all honesty...

...I really did feel that most of the edits did improve TPM. I've always had the most problems with that (and of course, RotJ) so seeing the edited content actually worked for me. Sure, I wouldn't replace viewing the movie in its entirety with the chopped version, but it was good too see how the movie would have been improved with some edits.

I wouldn't mind a bit seeing a similarly edited version of RotJ. Lord knows it would reduce my problems with that film.

All in all though it IS best that they've been removed!

Deliveranze likes this.
  5. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

What did TPM edit replace? The voices of Jar jar and aliens?

6. Sith_Smuggler

Jan 9, 2016

From what I remember (and I watched two different TPM edits):

1) Limited Jar-Jar's screen time and also changed his lines, took out his annoying "comedy" moments, made him more serious and his statements less grating

2) Alien voices were completely changed and their lines redubbed

3) Many lines the characters speak were removed or edited to be shorter

4) I think the Gungans in general had modified voices and changed lines (and their scene were cut short)

5) Some cut scenes were added in to give more background

6) For one edition the Midi-chlorians scene was entirely cut - the other left it intact (the latter of which I preferred, I've no problem with that)

7) Anakin's dialogue was totally spliced to make his acting better and his lines better

8) All "cheesy" lines were removed or heavily edited

9) Padme's decoy was cut entirely in both versions, I think

That's all I can remember though!

7. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm glad you enjoyed this, but this sounds....like the saddest possible version of TPM I can think of, personally. ;) But hey, that's just me. We all already knew I was weird.

darkspine10 and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  8. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    Typical TPM edit. Crap as always just like your Waifu...

9. Sith_Smuggler

Jan 9, 2016

What? What waifu?

10. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

Its a meme joke....Old meme but it checks out..

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  11. Sith_Smuggler

Jan 9, 2016

Oh, okay. I know "Waifu" but I don't know the meme...lol.

12. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The worst part of most of these edits is the butcher job it does to John Williams' score. If you don't have a decent background in sound design... just don't try it.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Apparently not since I'm literally watching a fan edit of AOTC on YT right now. And it has over half a million views. First such edit I've ever watched. Wanted to reintroduce my non-fan wife to the history of the Clone Wars before we try to watch the animated series, and this edit is much shorter and covers the basics needed. She's seen each SW film only once, enjoyed them all, but doesn't recall a lot of them. She literally has no idea this edit isn't the original.

Don't agree with a lot of the cuts, but this edit does improve the love story, especially by adding in the should-never-have-been-cut Naberrie family scenes. In fact I enjoy AOTC Padme for the first time with this cut, thanks to the restoration of some of her deleted material, which was some of the best, most human stuff George shot for her.

I'm not a PT hater, but that trilogy does suffer from some rather puzzling editing choices. I firmly believe the first two especially could've been far better edited.

14. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016

While I'd like to see some special edition/director's cut of AOTC exactly with those family scenes included (and nothing excluded), I completely understand Lucas decision. This movie (actually my favorite gem of the Saga) suffers from too much hate because of the pace (is too slow, you knoooow), the love story that 'makes it too soapy' and so on whining. I understand why Lucas decided to show the love story form Anakin’s point of view and it works completely fine for me. But I think the audience is ready now for these extras to be included in the movies.

15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I can't decide which one is last in my bottom two, AOTC or TPM. But the issue I have with it definitely don't land in the "too slow" category. I actually love the last 40 mins, but if anything I think the deep flaws of the movie are not having deep, well executed enough "slow" scenes.

16. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Lucas discussed that he is always concerned with having a steady moving pace that doesn't bog down. He also stated that the PT is mainly Anakin's story.

17. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    I have seen some bashers say they longed for the days when SW was cool, mature, critically acclaimed, and aimed at adults rather than children.

That time never existed.

18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

A lot of people have rewritten TESB (a phenomenal film, yes) as a dark, mature, brooding, adult film in their minds. They really, really seem to think it's not just dark by SW standards, but by greater film standards.

It's not even the darkest of the SW films (that would be ROTS).

This is along the lines of people who swear that Rouge One is a gritty war film in the vein of a Saving Private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket.

19. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    Some of the people I mentioned in my earlier post are major fans of the Expanded Universe -- some got into SW through the books -- and claim that the books are so much deeper, darker, more mature, etc. than the movies. I don't agree, I think the books are terrible and pretend that death, torture and misery are synonymous with maturity and depth.

20. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Well, they were pretty much posting entire films without what they deemed "terrible" on YouTube. I think it is extremely disrespectful to GL to post those videos and claim they are "superior" to a film that took 3 years to make, with tons of money put into it. It is fine to make your own edits to the movie and have it as your own, but to put it on YouTube for millions to watch is theft.

If LucasFilm and/or Disney is responsible for the removals, I'm glad they're finally taking a stand against them. It's about time.

trikadekaphile likes this.
  21. OmitWandKenopf

OmitWandKenopf Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2015
    Actually it IS a dark by "film standards".

At any rate, I don't really like any of those "copyright laws" to begin with (I think they should be changed or abolished altogether), I have no problem at all with fanedits that claim to "improve" originals (if criticizing movies is acceptable then this is too), and this is kinda annoying because I was gonna check out these anti cheese ones before they got taken down.

But, whoever posted them on YT and nowhere else, should've known this was likely to happen, and mirrors are probably gonna be popping up everywhere anyway - so it's not a big deal really.

22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

No, it isn't.

Requiem for a Dream
    Black Swan
    Seven
    Blue Velvet
    A Clockwork Orange
    There Will Be Blood
    No Country for Old Men
    Blade Runner
    Donnie Darko
    The Road

TESB is "dark" in the way Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is "dark"; by kiddie standards. It is dark for this particular, child-friendly series, but by greater film standards? Laughable.

JoshieHewls likes this.
  23. OmitWandKenopf

OmitWandKenopf Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2015
    Add some camp / levity here and there, remove the "nihilism" and the two are pretty comparable.

24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    [​IMG]

25. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    "Anti-cheese" and "Mature" versions of Star Wars are...well, not Star Wars. Sounds like folks are wanting versions of the movies that never existed. Movies that weren't inspired by cheesy Saturday matinee serials, for instance.

Slicer87, Tonyg, ezekiel22x and 2 others like this.