main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT 'Anti-Cheese' and 'Mature' edits now absent from YouTube.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Heroic BB-8, Jan 23, 2016.

1. PoorRebel

PoorRebel Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2017

I think that's just fair for them to do - and fair for people actually owning all Prequels to get the no-cheese editions. They're much easier to watch... :">

2. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    How about we leave editing to the editors of the feature films themselves? And then if you don't like the end result you could, like, just not watch the movie.

Slicer87 likes this.
  3. PoorRebel

Mar 14, 2017

Well, only if the editors stop editing their movies over and over again afterwards themselves ... :"p

4. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    There's a stark difference between the artist editing their own work after the fact, which happened long before Lucas did it with Star Wars, and unhappy man-children believing they can do a better job butchering another artist's work.

5. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    Yeah, I know! I'm always baffled by the unhappy man-children who hate the prequels but keep watching them. Why? Why even have copies to keep watching?

It's a highly amusing irony that their (perhaps former) idol, Plinkett, actually shelled out money to see TPM in its 3-D release -- even though he knew how much he hated the movie, and he was putting yet more money in the coffers of George Lucas, a man he loathes. If you told that to the unhappy man-children, they chose to ignore it.

Lucas has always edited the SW movies after the fact, beginning with the original (and whoever's-sock-you-are, PoorRebel, don't tell me those changes "don't count" -- they're changes), and as JoshieHewls pointed out, he's hardly the first artist to do so -- and not just in the medium of film, either.

6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I love fan edits (if they're well done). The Magnolia Fan edits were great. I see nothing wrong with them as long as they're not trying to make a profit off of them. Heck, sometimes it's an improvement.

Darth__Lobot and TomClaydon like this.
  7. PoorRebel

Mar 14, 2017

There is this making of the prequels video where Lucas himself realizes that the editing of Phantom Menace was a mess and he couldn't change it anymore because everything was so intertwined ... So if the Artist himself acknowledges that it's a pile of a mess, I'm all for giving some "child" a chance to cut it better. And in case of the anti-Cheese, it completely works for me with all the slap-stick and endless senate blabbering politics gone... :"D

8. OmitWandKenopf

OmitWandKenopf Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2015

These kinda fanedits are made by people and for people who think there's enough good stuff in the movie to "salvage" - that's why it's a fan edit, and not 2 hours of a black screen.

But those were cool tho

TomClaydon likes this.
  9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    As long as people aren't making money, edit away. Tech is at the point where you can do it. I really don't see it any differently than a mixtape or playlist.

I just saw that there's a Neon Noir edit of the PT. I started watching it and lemme tell you, so far it's so damn good. And not just a "lemme edit out the parts I don't like", which is so pedestrian, but it reinterprets the material bears something new. That kind of creativity is always welcome to me and it does NOT replace the original PT.

Darth__Lobot, MrMojoRisin and DrDre like this.
  10. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    That's not what happened at all. They viewed a rough cut of the film. Not the final cut. There was plenty cut from that edit (I'm assuming Anakin's bemused cutesy line after returning to the Naboo hangar is one of them).

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Let's try not to get into the realm of bashing, guys

Criticism's fine, but we're going a little further than that. Don't wanna end up with a thread lock

JoshieHewls likes this.
  12. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    **** these edits.
    If you don't like the prequels, then don't watch them.

13. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    What's with this man-children meme? Is it necessary to berate other fans, even if you disagree with their opinions? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

TomClaydon, DarthCricketer and jaqen like this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  15. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Oke, that's it for me. I'm sure many here will be pleased, but I'm leaving the PT board.

16. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    DrDre: I would much prefer if you didn't. Though I find myself not always agreeing with your opinions, your rebuttals are always well thought out and respectful. We don't need an echo chamber here, just reasonable discussion, which you yourself provide.

I know I'm guilty of the "man-children" comment myself, but please know it wasn't directed at folks on this board. There are people elsewhere who feel like they didn't get their way with these films and act like children, and that's who I'm referring to. Not folks with genuine criticisms.

DrDre likes this.
  17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree with those sentiments, but it's ultimately his choice.

Let's try to get back on the topic at hand.

DrDre likes this.
  18. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    I guess I overreacted. Sorry guys and girls, it's been a busy week. I appreciate the feedback JoshieHewls and heels1785. The discussions here are always interesting and full of passion.

jaqen, JoshieHewls and heels1785 like this.
  19. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    Awesome to hear, man. Sometimes I gotta walk away myself, give the forum a break. Hell, give Star Wars a break. Fandom can make being a fan not so much fun sometimes.

DrDre likes this.
  20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

The presentation of the clip often takes on some characteristics of fan edits/fan fiction. I love how it was an official bonus feature on the DVD, repurposed into some sneaky "gotcha" footage. [face_laugh]

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They should have been removed for copyright alone a long time ago. I don't care if they are edited or not it's still taking away revenue and your not supporting the official release. So no loss to me.

22. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013

Yep, RLM cherry picked and reedited that bonus feature clip into a negative story they wanted to tell completely out of context. Afterall, Stokkia and his buds circlejerk about what a great editor he is (not kidding, he really does). I like the inter cutting for the Naboo battle in TPM and never found it hard to follow or confusing.

23. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    The reason Disney/LucasFilm takes down these edits is because you are still seeing 95% of the Star Wars Prequel movies for free, it doesn't matter how much they edited, it's still the Star Wars movies, and you are cutting into LucasFilm's profits, even if they aren't monetized. It's a copyright issue, not about the fact that these are edits.

Slicer87 likes this.
  24. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    I don't think these edits should be available on youtube. Like many already stated, your sharing 90% of the films others worked hard to create. I don't have a problem with fans sharing edits, if they don't sell them, and if they own the official releases.

25. TomClaydon

TomClaydon Jedi Knight

Sep 19, 2012
    As many people have said here these fan-edits shouldn't be allowed on YouTube, however, i think if someone owns the movies and wants to play around with them for personal use that's fine. I've seen parts of a couple fan-edits and they were actually really cleverly done, not just removing scenes shoddily but rearranging and making something new. I can speak from personal experience that when I'm editing something from a film or television show it's not because I think I can create something better, but that I want to create something unique about the thing I love. For instance, i recently finished an edit of TPM where I cut the film to be more centered on Qui-Gons POV, the Jedi and the whole chosen one story, a sort of Jedi Journals type retelling. It ended up being around 50 minutes long and actually works pretty well. Sure some people do these fan edits to crap on the prequels but I personally do it to experiment and learn and properly understand the structure and pace of a film and see what I can come up with as an aspiring editor. It's such a blast getting to watch sequences countless times whilst editing

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.