main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT 'Anti-Cheese' and 'Mature' edits now absent from YouTube.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Heroic BB-8, Jan 23, 2016.

1. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002

My understanding is they weren't even talking about a rough cut of the entire film. They were talking about a rough cut of the Duel of the Fates reel. And they apparently fixed it or at least alleviated whatever problem they were talking about. And in my opinion Duel of the Fates is one of the best edited sequences in the entire saga. Conversely, I have a problem with the way Battle of the Heroes was edited. But thankfully after TFA I dont obsess much over it anymore.

TomClaydon likes this.
  2. SmallTatooineSun

SmallTatooineSun Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2016
    Other than TPM, which Ii saw when it came out, my first exposure to II and II was fan edits on you tube. I ended up buying the blu rays after realizing I liked them. I kind of feel bad for watching them illegally, but they got my money in the end. :) The thing I liked best about the fan edits was the change in the Neimoidians.

3. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Im fairly open to fans editing specific reels and then posting them, but editing the entire movie and then posting it is uncalled for.

I have also just discovered the phenomenon of fans doing remakes of classic video game from the 80s. I gotta admit, that's pretty awesome. Check out this one fan who is doing a remake of Castlevania 1 (1986) with state of the art graphics. He just recently got a cease and desist order from Konami so he cant continue the project (it looks like he only has levels 1 and 2 complete) but someone from Konami UK is trying to get him a license so he can finish it. Cool stuff.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Fan edits of films and fan game remakes are quite often significantly different, though

It costs a lot more to make a video game than it does to edit a film. Making a game is creating something from zero. Fan edits are taking something already complete and slightly modifying it. The main problem is money. Some people will often request crowd funding to remake a video game (and frankly, I'd love to chip in a dollar or two for a CV1 remake lol) but then it becomes a legal issue of making money using a title they don't own. Edits usually only need a program that's either free or not really that expensive, and that's all that needs to be invested other than time

heels1785 likes this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I fully support fan edits and their availability as long as no profit is made and credit for the ownership of the property is cited in the edits. Also would be against any public exhibition like at a convention,etc unless permission was obtained from LFL.

Other than that,I think they are a permanent part of fandom and will continue to thrive. Lucasfilm had a traditional live and let live policy as long as money wasn't made and public exhibitions weren't carried out without permission. This is the policy Disney would be wise to keep.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  6. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Exactly. If I remember, Lucas himself held a "Star Wars editing contest", giving all the materials needed to everyone. Even before his selling of Lucasfilms, he allowed everyone to have their own each individual expression.

Disappointed in Disney's business decision.

ShaneP likes this.
  7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Not surprised though. Disney has always aggressively defended their brands.

8. Kamdan

Kamdan Jedi Knight

Oct 21, 2013