main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anti-EUer here, willing to give it another shot, needs help!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vaderbait, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    "Once you become a basher you can never go back."

Hey, even Vader made his redemption... :D

Why not give him a chance ?

Actually, I long thought EU was crap, although I didn't bash it, since it was the EU that turned me into a full-time SW fan - if you know what I mean by that : 'crazy enough to post on this forum - and be able to bash things, although I don't think I bash anything, but that's another story and this sentence is getting really long so I think I will stop it here' ;).

EDIT : And I really hope you're serious about this giving the EU a chance, Vaderbait, otherwise I'll make sure you catch what you're baiting... And believe me it'll hurt ! ;)

2. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Yes, God forbid I was actually...anxious to get some of the books...and I actually felt....disappointment...when the library was closed!

Maybe I should stop before I get sick. :p

3. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    EDIT: Double post.

4. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

It's funny, in the mid-eighties I was kind of bored with Star Wars since there was not much new available. I still liked it, but I had read all of the novels, had most of the comics, then two things happened in 1987- I went to California and took the Star Tours ride and the RPG was released, that seemed to rekindle my interest in and I hit a sort of Star Wars renaissance, which re-captured my interest again and forever. The Zahn books hit like the Death Star's super laser and ignited a great many others interests as well, then Dark Empire, video games and more novels started coming out, more RPG material, more video games the Special Editions, even more video games, new movies, and finally the new RPG which brings us to here.

The Expanded Universe got me back into Star Wars. How could I ever dislike something like that?

5. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I recommend reading The Essential Chronology before even looking at an NJO book. It gives you a nice background in your hated EU.

6. Jedi_Knight_James

Jedi_Knight_James Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2001
    I suggest that you read:

The Thrawn Trilogy (5 STAR*****)
    Vector Prime
    Onslaught
    Ruin
    Hero's Trial
    Jedi Eclipse
    Balance Point
    Conquest
    Rebirth
    Star by Star :D :D :D

7. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    All these new ppl who joined the NJO bandwagon. Start with the older 90's era books. You should read:

Thrawn Trilogy:A very good trilogy and the best as so far
    Courtship Of Princess Leia
    X-Wing 1-4,8,9, then I,Jedi for all the Rogue Squadron stuff and then 5-7 for the Wraith Squadron and hunt for Zsinj
    Hand Of Thrawn Duology
    The New Rebellion
    Jedi Academy Trilogy
    Tales From the Empire and Tales From the New Republic

Then tackle the NJO

AVOID AT ALL COSTS :Crystal Star and any Hambly SW books

8. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Yeah, Children of the Jedi I did not get one page of it and didn't know what was happening, I thought the pages had been Jumbled up, but sadly the book was just plain BS.

9. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    Well, I couldn't find the Thrawn trilogy, but I did find the entire NJO set, so I just took out Vector Prime and Onslaught. I'm about halfway through with Vector Prime right now...and I must say, it is rather dull. I'm honestly trying to get into it, but it reminds me of the first book in the Star Trek: Invasion! series, "First Strike", which all in all, was fairly dull.

10. mr.binks

mr.binks Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1999
    Ok, Vaderbait, as a dedicated EUer (who also hates most of the EU) I have a few sugestions. *waves hand*

READ THE DARN THRAWN TRILOGY.

Many a basher has read the trilogy, but nevertheless, Zahn's books are pretty much the core of what the SW books are all about. If you don't like 'em you'll have a negative attitude about the rest of the EU and it's not even worth starting.

That said, here are the core novels:

Heir To The Empire

Dark Force Rising

The Last Command

Skepter Of The Past (boring, but necessary)

Vision Of The Future (Heck yeah! Definition of good complicated EU. Not a good SW movie)

Vector Prime (hardly engrossing, the TPM of the NJO. Without Jar-Jar)

Balance Point (Deppressing, but worth the read. Especially if you want an explanation of the Vong or like Jacen)

Star By Star (Good. The essentiality of really great Star Wars. Amazingly lacking in all the flaws of the EU. Yet, **** happens, and if you're starting to like any of the characters you'll probably weep.)

Have fun. ;)

11. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    Actually, I kind of like the anger in Anakin in Vector Prime (though as I've learned from bashers all around that delving into the dark side happens A LOT), I like the way its being written. Jacen sounds a little too preachy, I mean, he's only 16, not a Master. I like the Han Solo "teenagers" routine, though.

12. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Many a basher has read the trilogy, but nevertheless, Zahn's books are pretty much the core of what the SW books are all about. If you don't like 'em you'll have a negative attitude about the rest of the EU and it's not even worth starting.

I didn't like Zahn's books and I don't have a negative attitude towards the rest of the Expanded Universe.

I'd recommend that you read the Zahn books, but also read the all 9 of the X-wing books, I, Jedi; Anderson's Jedi Search trilogy; some of the Tales books; then maybe Dark Empire I & II; then Tales of the Jedi comics now available in trade paperback.

13. mr.binks

mr.binks Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1999
    Exception taken, K_N.

I neglected to mention the 'fanboy' X-wing series (Which I happen to enjoy) because they aren't important to the EU. Corran is a sweet Jedi and Rogue Squadron kicks some major ewok, but Rogue squad tends to sit around in the background painting skips and eyeballs on their X-wings there is no Saga behind them.

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "You've taken your first step into a larger world."
    -Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi

Really, all taste is purely sujective. For example, I'm one of those strange folk who actually liked the Black Fleet Crisis. In hindsight, it's like a beta test of the NJO.

I'd suggest that you check out the Essential Chronology first & foremost. In the back of the book, it gives an index of sorts to say what EU material was the source of any given timeframe. Therefore, you can use the EC to give you a general overview of the history, and you can then pick up any given EU story to get more details.

Like I said, everybody has their likes & dislikes. For the record, here's some of mine:

Loved it:
    Prequel-era EU in general - the Star Wars ongoing comic series (especially Prelude to Rebellion, Outlander, Emissaries to Malastare, & Darkness) Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, the Darth Maul limited comic series, Jedi Council: Acts of War, and Cloak of Deception are all great. I haven't read the Jedi Apprentice stories though.

Also good are the Thrawn Trilogy, Brian Daley's Han Solo Trilogy, and the Tales of the Jedi Comics (especially Dark Lords of the Sith) A caveat about the TotJ stories: They're written by KJA, so they have some of the super-duper Force powers that I & many others find to be craptastic.

Liked it:
    I, Jedi was a pretty good revision of the dissapointing Jedi Academy Trilogy (more on that later). Vector Prime, Star by Star, and the Dark Tide Duology are good NJO-era stories. Splinter of the Mind's Eye & the Black Fleet Crisis are good ones too. Golden Age of the Sith falls in this area also.

Ho-Hum:
    The Hand of Thrawn Duology seemed like a Zahn Ego Project IMO. Too much revision of past EU. For example, people credit Zahn with Luke's spiritual discoveries that actually began in the BFC. Also in this catagory are the Young Jedi Knights stories, but then again, I'm not a teenager, which is who these books are written for.

The Jedi Academy Trilogy I found disappointing for many reasons. There was a particular point that was being made in the first book that never got explored to my satisfaction: the "haunted" look that Luke had, because he was overburdened with the weight of all that he knew. It was a look that Luke realized in hindsight that Ben had when they first met. I was looking forward to reading about the burden that Jedi Masters must bear, and instead I got super-duper weapons, idiotic military "geniuses," and a character that was hinted at being potentially more powerful than Luke Skywalker.

Another ho-hum story IMO was the Jedi vs. Sith series. I think they tried to cram too much story into a 6-issue comic. I think it would've gone much better if DHC went the route of the DLotS/Sith War/Redemption story arc. That would give us a prelude, a conflict, and the aftermath.

Arrrgh!:
    Balance Point, Edge of Victory Duology, the New Rebellion.

Get My Torch:
    Darksaber, Planet of Twilight.

There's also a bunch of stuff that I've not read, like Courtship of Princess Leia, Children of the Jedi, the AC Crispin Han Solo Trilogy, the Crystal Star, and so on.

There you have MY opinions. Best that you form your own. Check out the Essential Chronology and go from there.

15. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    OK, I gave up on Vector Prime. It just didn't interest me. Onslaught was the same way (granted I only read the first 30 pages, but after 3/4s of Vector Prime, I don't want to waste my time). I'll still give the Thrawn books a try, but it the future for me as an EU fan looks bleak to be honest.

16. GUARDSMAN

GUARDSMAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2001
    Since Vector Prime was the first star wars book I read I thought I should comment on this. I thought the book was ok, but not great. I was really confused on a lot of things going on so after I finished I started to read EU that came before it. So I read all of the Xwing series and liked every book. Then I went for the Thrawn Trilogy which I thought was really good, only problems I had with it is most of the parts with the good guys in it, mainly because I wanted to read more of Thrawns victorys and past. If you haven't read the Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley I suggest you get that because it shows Han Solo at his coolest. After that I have like 4 stand alone books the enitre NJO up to date, a couple graphic novles like Crimson Empire which I thought was really good, and of course to fill in the gaps I have the Essential Chronology. I suggest going to some big bookstore and flip through the Essential Chronolgy to see what you like in it.

17. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Courtship of Princess Leia is a MUST-READ. I honestly think it's the best SW book I ever read.

Also, read the Dark Empire comics trilogy. Action-packed.

And although it may not qualify as EU, read the classic trilogy novelisations-they may not be the most interesting reads, but they'll give you a whole new aspect on old stories.

18. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    I've read CoPL... [face_plain]

I did like the Crimson Empire series, and did enjoy those Han Solo books. I guess now there are too many characters, and the familiar ones are too different. I thought a lot of the running around peopel did in Vector Prime to be kind of....pointless.

19. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    classic trilogy novels are now officially EU, according to the Official site.

20. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

That must be driving the Purists nuts.

21. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Really, all taste is purely sujective. For example, I'm one of those strange folk who actually liked the Black Fleet Crisis.

Hey, Merk, I'm one of those people too. :D Although I still haven't read book 3. Gonna be coming up on that in the next couple of weeks...

22. SSJ_Smoke

SSJ_Smoke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2001
    Black Fleet Crisis seemed a little to technical took away from the regular EU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.