main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Antibiotic Resistance Hysteria Thread / Meat Is Murder Thunderdome

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Only "Vile Women".

2. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    A friend of mine used to have hysteria but then he got an ipod.

Boba Nekhbet and heels1785 like this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    But if I had to wash my hands before and after every single time I go in a patient's room instead of using hand sanitizer most of the times and washing when that gets a little gunky or when I have a patient with C-Diff, I'd never get anything else done but washing my hands.

4. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    One of the things that makes humans more awesome than monkeys and the other apes is that we can throw. We have thick criss-crossed bands of fascia running through our bodies that can allow us to hurl objects at speed. Monkeys hate that ****. They're pretty handy at close quarters but - if they've encountered throwing before - they'll run the minute you bend down to pick up a rock. You'd think a brilliant strategist would figure that out.

Oh, and I have a beef with blaming beef. It's the way beef is farmed that's the problem. Occasional restaurant visit aside, all the beef I eat is organic (no antibiotics, no hormones) and sustainably farmed (grass fed on land that has been arable for the last 2000 years or so, fed on locally produced silage in winter). In fact, I'm eating a lot more devon red these days because they're hardy enough to be kept outdoors through the winter grazing on the moors. Zero deforestation, almost no transportation involved, no contribution to antibiotic resistance.

The lesson here is that cows are delicious and vegetarians are insufferable: find a way.

Milk/dairy production is far more problematic than raising beef cattle, btw.

5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    The main problem is that there are too many people on earth for all of them to eat beef regularly. There isn't enough grass. There's nothing inherently wrong with beef itself.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  6. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Except for the fact that it's a living being with feelings, sure.

7. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016

We're predatory animals for ****'s sake.

Modern farming methods are cruel and leave animals with a ****-poor quality of life and that's not good. Neither for the animals, nor for the taste or nutritional value of their meat.

Killing animals for their meat, however, is just what we naturally do, like any other omnivore.

8. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    By eating any root vegetable, you're dragging a living organism out of the ground by its roots, thereby killing the plant. By eating herbs or any vegetable where you're eating the very stem of the plant, such as rhubarbs, you're again killing a living organism. By drinking milk, you're bothering cows. By eating honey, you're pestering bees with smoke. There is no way for any being that consists of meat on this planet to survive without bothering something else that is living, unless you only want to subsist on that which plants give away voluntarily, which is to say fruit.

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Unless the fruit lands on a bee

yeurgh likes this.
  10. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Predators are a natural and necessary part of a healthy ecosystem. Herds of herbivores need to be culled for things to work properly. There's an example of this in video embedded below (reintroduction of grey wolves to yellowstone park).

Sure, humans have disrupted the whole system of natural selection but that's exactly why we now have vegetarians. You'd die out otherwise; unfit for survival.

11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    If only we could do exactly what some people wanted 100% of the time, while they were allowed to do whatever they wanted 100% of the time

12. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    That sounds complicated. Can't we feed vegetarians to wolves instead?

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Just the parts they 100% don't want

14. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016

Vegetarians are basically prey, I don't think we should consult them about which parts they want to keep.

15. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Fijians used to make criminals eat their own limbs in the old days. Fitting end for vegetarians, I say, wouldn't you agree, yeurgh?

Ender Sai and yeurgh like this.
  16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Threats of militant anti-vegetarian terrorist violence seems like a fair response to suggesting that large scale beef production isn't an efficient or environmentally sustainable way to provide protein to humans.

If there's a long term future for red meat in the human diet, I'd bet on goats. Eat more goat. "Girl and the Goat" is one of the best restaurants in Chicago.

Girl and the Goat Goat dishes:

goat liver mousse
    pickled​ watermelon rind . apple butter . basil-lemon pickles

goat carpaccio
    smoked trout roe. olive-maple vinaigrette

goat empanadas
    miso-blue cheese aioli. squash-apple slaw

confit goat belly
    bourbon butter . lobster and crab . fennel

Goat legs available by pre-order.

goat ribs
    bombay duck goat jus . sun chokes , pomegranate

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I think human flesh consumption is the way of the future. May I please eat your face off?

18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
  19. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Threats of militant anti-vegetarian violence were sparked off by someone bleating about how cows have feelings and need a safe space and some counselling.

Goat mutton is tasty, I'd happily eat more if it were available. There's not much demand for it here outside of the Caribbean community, so most male kids are slaughtered at birth. Seems a real waste.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  20. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Comparing a root vegetable to a mammal is absurd and not at all what I said. What a magnificent straw man you have constructed here to defend the fact that you are a murderer.

Darth Guy likes this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    He thinks slaughtering kids at birth is ok. Did you see that?

yeurgh likes this.
  22. a star war

May 4, 2016
    That's the kind of morally reprehensible depravity that comes from justifying the consumption of meat.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm okay with...

1) Killing clumps of cells that fundy-people call babies,
    2) Killing plant life,
    3) Killing animal life,
    4) Killing brain cells,
    5) Killing souls, preferably via consumption.

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    But where do you stand on veal and pate foie gras? These are the epicurean delights that separate the true monsters from the hypocritical monsters.

25. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Hahahahahahaha! Ahhh, man, you deserve that funniest JCCer award.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.