main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist ~Antlers' Art~ [New: Wraith Squadron and Hi-Fashion Tarkin]

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Antlers, Oct 31, 2012.

?

What style of fanart do you most enjoy?

1. Realism

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. American-Comic style

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Hello there!
    I hope you enjoy my work! I'm working towards becoming a better artist, so comments and critiques are always welcome.
    Most links will lead to my DeviantArt gallery.
    In addition, I also record the coloring process of some of my works, so click on the VIDEO links to go watch them on YouTube. Newest works at the top.

[​IMG]

@};- LOTS more sketches, studies, WIPs, and other drawings at my Instragram account, which is viewable online here: http://instagram.com/brass_antlers/

@};- You can watch me color my work with Copic markers and colored pencils on my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyeStagsleapStudio

~~Star Wars~~

Tarkin Wears Alexander McQueen - Copics

Hohash "Runt" Ekwesh of Wraith Squadron (The Horse Dude) - Copics

Captain Tarkin - Copic markers

Cumberlayne Aresko - Watercolor

Easter Inquisitor Portrait - Happy Easter, peasants. Copic markers.

Mon Mothma Sketch - Just a study. Ink and colored pencil on toned paper.

Thrawn Portrait - Ink on blue paper.

Thrawn x Pellaeon - Copic markers on toned paper (safe for work).

Satine, Duchess of Mandalore - Copic Markers.

Wilhuff Tarkin - Ink, colored pencil, gouache.
    Badass. Rolling that "r", even when there isn't one.

Thrawn Portrait - Charcoal, colored pencils on toned paper.
    He's hot. My drawing's not. [face_plain]
    Can't capture the majesty!

Kawaii Boba Fett WIP - Blue pencil.
    A much cuter, but just as deadly, version of Fett, complete with rainbow helmet and unicorn skull. He holds a bubble blaster and will have fresh cut flowers in his jetpack.

Victory-Class Snob - Copic markers.
    Imperial Officer Captain Snotty of ISD "Gilded Pleasure" enjoys photo bombing TIE bomber pilots, Christian Louboutin jackboots, transporting champagne bottles in mouse droids, comparing lineages, and smells faintly of velanie flowers. Close friends with the ultimate party princess, Captain Needa.

Nirauan Chiss Scout- Copic markers, School G pen.
    A sprightly scout has his gualama mount spooked by an ambushing Qom Jha (or is this a Qom Qae?) outside of the tower base on Nirauan.
    The subject of Thrawn's Household Phalanx has been dancing around in my head for some time, and this little scene was sketched out roughly in between some other pieces I'm working on. I like these randy guys and plan to design them out a little more fully in the future.

Luke Skywalker in Pencils - This is an interesting one. I have long drawn anime-styled people (and realistic animals), but I have ultimately wanted to illustrate more realistic humans. After drawing a very over the top shoujo-style Luke, I sat down with a reference photo and drew this. While it may not look like much, it's a big achievement for me. Since this sketch, my artwork has been steadily improving and looking more mature.

Shaak Ti - [VIDEO] - Copic markers, paint pens, and ink. She's so pretty and intriguing, I just had to draw her. Used some touches of gold paint on this one, so in real life it glints and shimmers! I doubt this will the be the last you see of this particular lady.

~~Somewhat Star Wars-Related~~
    Peter Cushing Portrait - Copic Makers on toned paper.​

2. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    Oh, how embarrassing. I hit "Return" before finishing the poll, and now I cannot find any way to remove it!
    Please don't think I only know of two art styles!

3. JediHall

JediHall Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    I was going to say! I like both! hahaha!

Awesome work by the way I love Luke

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Ah, the anime art style... I was in the grips of that style for a long time, and it took me quite a while to work my way out of it. Nowadays, I simply refuse to draw in that style, as I don't want it tainting my current style. It really hampered my work for years, and I have no intention of ever touching that style again.

I can see where the style has greatly influenced your work, particularly in Luke's eyes and facial structure. It's going to take a while to break free of that style, or at least to get it to the point where that style can coexist beside a realistic style. The best way to practice is to draw humans in general. Study the facial structure and the size of the eyes in relation to the face. Draw from photos, models, people, video, comics, anything. Find an artist whom you admire and start incorporating aspects of their style into your own and study their techniques for putting together a face.

I will give the anime style some credit, though... I still draw hair relatively the same way, only I texture it a bit more. It also has simplified methods for drawing fabric. Faces, though... I am not touching that one. Not for a while. Not until I know for a fact that my current style can coexist with that style and that I can switch between them with ease.

5. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    I do realistic studies very often. :) However, behind each success is a multitude of failures, so progress is slow but steady. Regardless, I quite enjoy anime, and I wish to be able to create appealing anime-styled art in the future. Still, I probably draw more realism than anime right now, but most of it stays in my sketchbook.

teamhansolo likes this.
  6. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    New piece added!

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I really like the style of that Chiss scout. It's very animated, lots of motion.

8. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    Thank you!

New sketches added!

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the realistic drawn scout and animal

10. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    Updated with a new drawing! It's pure sparkling shoujo, so beware! :eek:

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I am jealous of all who use Copic markers because they are too expensive for me to feasibly afford. :p They look like they would blend like paint, though, and I want them so badly because of that.

The skintones on Captain Snooty are very nice.

12. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    I've been collecting those things for years. I'm also very fortunate to have access to a very fairly priced, local art store that also accepts student discounts. Those occasional 40% off coupons also help. After all that, they cost no more than tubes of quality watercolor.

They have very nice blending qualities, and many (including myself) liken them to watercolor for the transparency of the inks.

Thank you!

13. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    New WIP added! "Kawaii Boba Fett WIP".
    I think I might try to do a whole series of over the top cute SW characters...

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Is that a Pony skull I see on his shoulder?

15. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I believe it is the skull of the unicorn.

Nice to see your work in progress, Antlers :) looking forward to seeing how the rest will turn out.

16. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    Thank you! And yes, that's a sparkly ol' unicorn skull. Boba wuvs his unicorns....

17. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    New piece added!

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Welcome back Antlers! Happy New year :)

That's a really great rendition of Tarkin. Makes me think of a younger version Tarkin, definitely after the The Clone Wars but before A New Hope.

19. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Your Tarkin looks like a sci-fi star from another age. Very suave.

20. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    Thank you for all the kind words! I just finished a Peter Cushing portrait as well. Cushing is SO much fun to draw!

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  21. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    I drews a horse.

[​IMG]

TrakNar and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    You've rendered the horse beautifully!

Wonderful work on the portrait of Peter Cushing as well. :)

23. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    Thank you! I'll probably film the next equine - I'm going to try out pastels for the first time! I've heard they make rendering the slick fur a little easier.

24. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Pretty.

Maybe you could try drawing Hohass "Runt" Ekwesh next? He's basically a horse-headed fighter pilot in Wraith Squadron.

25. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    With Anime style drawing, it just depends on how it is done as to if I like it or not. You can make it realistic, if you try hard enough. (Think of all the old 80's and 90's cartoons like Thundercats, X-Men, Spider-man, Defenders of the Earth, etc). What I hate is the Japanese style of anime/manga... urgh..... I know some people love it, but I just can't stand it and I won't even buy a comic of a franchise which I would normally buy if it is Japanese anime. It took me a long time to even bring myself to watch the cartoon network Clone Wars shorts because of the style and when I did watch it, I didn't think that I really missed much (the pacing of it is far to fast for me). I am OK at drawing animals and plants to some extent. While at uni, some folks thought my drawings of lab specimens were great, especially this kangaroo skeleton, but I thought they were naff when you compare them to the work of real wildlife artists.

Your horse is brilliant.