main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anx and their unarmed attack damage bonus.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Dashade_Mercenary, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dashade_Mercenary

Dashade_Mercenary Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2006
    In the Ultimate Alien Anthology, under the Anx special abilities, it states that the Anx get a higher crit range for their unarmed strike after taking the feat martial arts (18-20 as aopposed to 19-20) and also says their damage goes to a 1d6. Is this a miss print, because this seems a bit redundent because any dolt knows a large creature gets a higher damage than a medium one ( medium 1d4 and large 1d6). Is it supposed to be a 1d8 damage bouns for Anx? Please help me whith this problem.

2. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    The RCRB says a medium character deals 1d3 damage, and a large 1d4, so the Ultimate Alien Anthology is correct that Anx deal 1d6 damage with an unarmed strike.

3. Dashade_Mercenary

Feb 15, 2006
    But that seeems a bit repetitive doesnt it?

4. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    It's saying that an Anx deals even more damage than usual for a large character. How is that repetitive?

5. Dashade_Mercenary

Feb 15, 2006
    YOu fools, they automatically get that 1d6 damage for being a large creature, if they get more then it should be 1d8.

6. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    Wrong. They automatically get 1d4 for being a large creature. Look it up.

7. Dashade_Mercenary

Feb 15, 2006
    I know they get it for being large automatically, but the Anx special ability says when they get the feat they get a 1d6 damage, which any large creature already gets if they take that feat.

8. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    No, any creature only receives the ability to score a critical threat with that feat, not deal extra damage.

9. Dashade_Mercenary

Feb 15, 2006
    No. If you look in the weapons section of the revised core book, you will see that an unarmed attack from a medium creature deals 1d3 damage, and that the only way for it to deal 1d4 is to pick up the Martial Arts feat. Now a large creature will always do one die size more damage that a medium, so a large creature deals 1d4 off the bat and gets 1d6 from the martial arts feat. So, why is there a need to repeat this fact in the Anx special ability?

10. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    [face_blush]

I see, now. I was ignorantly going by what was said about it in the combat section, which led me to erroneously believe that the Martial Arts Feat only allowed the chance for a critical. You have my honest to God apology. [face_praying]

As for your question, I believe the UAA is just reminding the player of that fact--which seems like a good idea considering the confusion you just saw me sew on the issue.

11. Dashade_Mercenary

Feb 15, 2006
    And thus i will be playing a 12 lvl Anx soilder doing 3d6+6 damage per hit. Plus im a grappling beast. BAB of 12+ Str 18+ Improved grapple+ Large= +24 on grapple.[face_devil]

And maybe an additional 1d6+1 on damage if my GM allows me to do what he initionally said.

12. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    now just pick up some echani and you're sorted

13. Dashade_Mercenary

Feb 15, 2006
    Opps, forgot weapon speci. thats 4d6+9 damage with a +24 grapple and a 15-20 crit range.I shall have mezzmorizing potential.[face_hypnotized]

14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    That's nice. Now, try getting though a human-sized door. Or though a narrow cave. Try finding a disguise kit. Try getting up the ramp of a YT-1300 stock freightor.

What most people forget is that large creatures and some alien races require specialized equipment, and the GFFA is based on a human standard size. Also, certain aliens just kinda stick out in a crowd, making it difficult to hide when running from the authorities.

"What did you see?"
    "A guy, a woman, a small child with feathers, and a flipping huge bug-creature that Must Be Killed!"
    "You got it. Troopers: be on the lookout for a giant insect. Concentrate fire on it. Use vehicle cannons and grenades if you have them. Oh, and try and take the humans with it prisoner if you can."

"Hey, chummer. You must be that giant bug creature the Imps are looking for. Spare some credits?"
    "No."
    "Cool. No problem" minute later "Hello, Dial-a-snitch? You know that big bug you guys are looking for? Well, I just say it go by... No, it wouldn't bribe me to keep quiet."

Doesn't matter whether it's D6 or D20, 12 stormtroopers concentrating fire is enough to ruin most people's day.

15. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    LOL Hilarious but true Koohi!!![face_laugh]
    I give u an encore if u have one for that! =D=

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yuul, I always try to rise to a challenge... Anything to entertain.

The party meets up:
    "A Herglic and A Mrrrissti walk into a bar..."
    "When they see a giant combat beast of a bug!"
    "Two humans, a male and female, wander over. There's an R2 droid following them."

GM: Ok, you've met. In seconds you share all the details of your lives and trust each other implicitly.
    Players: Cool.
    The party goes on a mission. The Droid gets blown to pieces. THe Herglic is crushed by a blast door. Tragic. The rest succeed in their mission. The Herglic was the only one who could truly sympathize with the Anx's difficulties in getting arround in Human-centric imperial culture and equipment sizes. The Mrrrlisti got by using child-sized human gear when necessary. The Anx is ticked. He wipes out the squad guarding the party objective and backs the desk officer (an ensign who is fresh out of the academy and specialized in clerical services) into a corner. "You killed my Friend. I should kill you."
    "I'm sorry. I just tried to close the blast door before he got in. I didn't know his head would be in the way. I'm really really sorry!" Clerk soils himself. Anx has a crude laugh and leaves clerk backed in a corner, humiliated.
    Party runs away.

Party charters a ship to take them off-world. They're a block from the docking port.
    GM: A squad of stormtroopers ducks down behind cover in front of you. Behind you, another squad is charging. Suddenly they drop to one knee and level blasters. To either side, 6 biker scouts show up, and they mean business. Roll initiative.
    Players: CRUD
    Humans dive for cover in doorways and behind any object they can find & start shooting. Mrrrlisti runs into a building. Anx is in the middle of the intersection looking for something more substantial than a lamp pole for cover. Not seeing any, he charges the troopers in between the party and the ship.
    GM: OK, the Anx is shot at by 22 storm troopers and 12 biker scouts. One trooper shoots back at each of the humans. No one seems to have noticed the small bird-like alien.
    "What? Everyone is shooting at me?"
    GM: Hmmmm. There are two humans with blasters... A small creature that ran into a building, and a giant bug who is still covered in blood and guts of the LAST set of stormtroopers the party dealt with. Hmmm... And he's charging toward a squad of stormtroopers who are behind cover and set to receive charge... Um... Yeah. The Stormtroopers are going to follow orders of their superior officer and avenge the deaths of their colleagues by concentrating fire on the giant monsterous alien insect.

The Mrrrlisti makes it to the ship and not only pursuades the captain to wait, but also to help in the fight (by also offering to double the fair). The humans follow the bird's lead by ducking into stores and going up alleyways.
    The bug charges forward, using incredible combat prowess to deliver 8x the ammount of damage needed to kill a stormtrooper with a single blow. Even with 4 attacks per round and AoO, it takes most of 3 rounds to kill all the stormtroopers between him and the ship. He also gets 2 speederbikes, just for fun. In the mean time, he's been shot at about 48-60 times by E11 stormtrooper riffles & speeder-bike cannons, and is not looking good. Then he has to get through the door to the hangar designed for humans, the cargo/freight entrance is on the other side of the pad, and squeeze under the rim of the ship and up the ramp, then through another tight, human-sized door.

But hey, he does 4D8+ damage with every hit.

17. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    =D=[face_laugh] =D= [face_laugh] =D= [face_laugh] =D= [face_laugh] =D= [face_laugh] =D= [face_laugh]

LOL u r GOOD, ru a proffesional or something? (or just a very, very, very experieced GM?)
    (either way u r good)

next time i have trouble getting a player to lsten as to why he should or shouldnt do something ridiculous(that they think is cool) would it be ok if i asked u to write something apropriatly hilarious that i could quote to them?[face_praying]

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I would be delighted to help out any way possible. Either post your request or PM me, or both.

No, sorry, not a professional. Just a geek with too much time on his hands and a lot of experience... :-B

19. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    ok thx koohii:-B (nerds together then)

20. Dashade_Mercenary

Feb 15, 2006
    Oh...my...aGOD....that is freaking funny. I give you credit on dissing me to such a degree and applaude you humor. If i have any more cool/crazy ideas i hope you post on them koohii.

21. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    No disrespect intended.
    A little mockery, perhaps, but no disrespect.

Just have to point out a couple of the disads of having large-size creatures that most people overlook.

Playing certain non-human races has to have the occasional mundane problem. I've GMed a lot of kill-beast players who munchkinned every single smidgeon of benefit they could from the rules. Heck, I've BEEN the munchkin often enough. Along the way, I picked up a couple of fun tricks.

The party had to infiltrate an imperial base. They decided to go in as maintenance staff. OK. Find an imperial maintenance coveral for a Tarong! (Think Griffon with 4-meter wingspan). Getting through doors is another good one, and almost always fun. Turbo-lifts are good too. Fashionable clothing... Survival equipment... Escape pods... Medical equipment... (No, oddly enough, sir, there just isn't a big enough demand for the cybernetics companies to make replacement wings in your size. You'll have to custom order it. Should only take a couple months. Now, in the meantime, I have a jet-pack here that I might be able to modify...)

The current party I'm GMing has a Defel. The after-action reports and screaming cries of panic from officers under attack all specify a bloody, black, furry killing machine wading into their forces with vibro-blades. They ignore the bounty hunder and the commando who open up on them with blaster riffles and carbines, or the X-wing that flies cover blowing away any other vehicles (Speeder bike vs X-Wing Proton Torpedo is one of my favorites to describe! --tough to hit, but the explosion...). Very few mention the freightor that comes in and steals half the supplies from the Garrison (though it is noted by the accountants). Nope, all the reports are about the Defel. In point of fact, the other party members have only vague descriptions on them, while the Defel has a 100,000 credit bounty. (The rest of the party have 10,000 as guilt by association).

Hope this entertains.

22. Dashade_Mercenary

Feb 15, 2006
    Thats exactlly what i would play, an invisable small black furry killing machine...with the bounty on my head of course, because its fun to play, unique, and a damn good source of comic relief[face_laugh] . In my opinion, the exotic alien species are what makes the SWRPG so much fun to play. For example, im about to play a driod hero in the rebellion era, but with a catch, Im an HK unit. I get to run around as a jet black protocol thats really an assassain. The joy i will recieve from making statements like "Warning:Touch the masters blade and loss and arm meatbag!" will be priceless. Plus the hidden weapons and assassination protocols will be fun as well. But this, in my opinion is what good roleplay value is all about, that and the gut busting side spliting antics that take place when the Imps find out. [face_devil]

23. Dashade_Mercenary

Feb 15, 2006
    SOW, what would you recomend as my weapon of choice for my HK, i was thinking of a carbine, good damage and range, or i could go rifle..........or i could be prepared to use every weapon under the sun.... Whats your take?

24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    You know, the best assassins aren't the flashy ones. That attracts way too much attention. Go subtle. Adding a poisonous compound to a canape' or other hors deourve (pardon my poor spelling of French-based terms) at a social party can be just as effective as going in with guns blazing, with the benefit of an easy escape while everyone is distracted by the target's death-throws & convulsions.[face_sick]

Still, if you want flashy... Go with a blaster in a shielded hidden compartment. For fun, have a supply of holographic projectors that make it look like someone else is there (like a big, flashy, notorious bounty hunter with a bad reputation). Imagine security guards firing frantically at a ferrocious being that they either can't hit, or who can take blasts from their heaviest artillery without flinching. Mean while, your droid quietly shoots the target in the back of the neck, and no one notices. [face_dancing] Collecting or replacing the holo-projectors is a little tricky &/or expensive, but can be worth while.
    I also recommend a DEMP gun or Jawa Ion blaster for dealing with pesky droids or other recalcitant technology, maybe fitted into an arm--or better still disguised as a restraining bolt activator. Of course, for safety sake, it's a good idea to have a fake restraining bolt of your own. Good for appearances. Plus, you can have the deluxe model that let you fake being deactivated, while in reality your systems are functional.[face_shhh]
    Of course, Jawa Ionizers and DEMP guns will do just spiffy things to you... The downside of not being subject to gasses that debilitate humans is that you are subject to things that don't worry organics.[face_frustrated]

(Hmmm... Here's something I don't remember: Are droids affected by blasters set on 'stun'?)[face_thinking]

Hopefully that helps a bit. Sorry, I can't give you specific model numbers, but you probablly have whatever WotC sourcebook you need to find them.

One time, I had a cute ASP-7 droid programmed with a second personality of a Jedi Combat istructor. He had a pair of training-lightsabers (stun damage only), and a secondary vocabulator with normal range of expression (stock ASP's are so limited they can only say 'yes' or 'no'). Used him to provide training to the party.

25. Dashade_Mercenary

Feb 15, 2006
    I have another character idea to run past you, a Sauvax Scout/Infultrater. He's also9 mute, so he communicates via clicking his claws and movement. And he plans to sneak on to Nal Hutta and kill some slugs and steal their stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.