main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR Any chance for a PS3 version?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Wyrm, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    Is there any reason that this will only be released for PC? I'm a mac user and I'm bummed that I won't be able to play this game.

I noticed that there are other MMO's being released on PS3 (I think DC Heroes or something). Anybody know or at least think that this will be released on PS3 at some point in the future? Or are there hardware issues that make it unfeasible?

2. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Seriously doubt it. Though I wouldn't be opposed.

Then again, considering the amount of time this game is taking to get out (release set for Spring '11), a console port would probably be out just in time for the next system.

3. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Nope, no PS3 or any other console version.

I think its just that the standard MMO player doesn't like to play on a console.

4. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    To be honest, I would be very surprised if that happened.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Officially, they haven't ruled it out. When asked, they would only state something like they were only "discussing the PC version at this time"

I think console mmo's will be coming soon. (DC Universe Online will likely be the first to really test the capability) And with PS3 slim and the new xbox 360 model, it would appear that the next version of these consoles may be a bit further away. I could see a port for ps3 and/or 360. After all, Force Unleashed eventually made it to PC.

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    If you have a newer Mac with Leopard or Snow Leopard, you can always use Boot Camp to install Windows 7. Then you'd definitely be able to play it.

7. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    Thanks for the info. I have the new macbook pro. I don't really want to play games on it though. I much prefer games on my console (after all, that's what I bought it for).

We'll see if I can hold out for a console release. It seems strange to me why they wouldn't want to take advantage of every platform possible. They do that with everything else. Lucas has always been about selling to everyone he can.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    By the gods please. [face_pray]

But I reckon my laptop is good enough either way. :cool:

9. ArBeater

ArBeater Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2010
    I'm opposed to this idea. Damn opposed.

Your fault for buying a mac.

10. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Let's keep it civil. If anything they may eventually released a Mac version. But I highly doubt they will ever release it for PS3

11. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    I'm in agreement. Porting games to console tends to dumb them down a bit. A console MMO would be far more dumbed down than I would want to bother with. Might as well play Runescape at that point.

Besides, don't you Mac guys have boot camp now? Just set up a Windows install in Boot Camp for games and you're set.

IMHO, fully featured MMO wouldn't work too well on console because there's only so much you can do on it. I find in WoW and LotRO that I like to use a lot of hotkeys for powers, skills, macros, and other game functions, and even now I run out of keys. I suppose you could learn certain combos (like in fighting games) but I hate that sort of thing. With a console MMO they'd have to only give you a handful of skills and maybe tier them up as you level like in KotOR.

As for the reality of the situation--in several interviews, the developers have stated that there are no plans for any sort of console version of the game. They mentioned Intel Mac with Boot Camp would be the only non-PC option.

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Both PS3 and 360 have support for wireless keyboards and mice last I checked. DC Universe Online in addition to the normal controller is also rumored to support keyboard and mouse. I think DCU will be a good test subject. If it can work in PS3, why not release it? It's just a different machine at that point.

13. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I think they should definitely release a console version in the future, seems only fair as KotOR was a console game (released before the PC version), and since TOR is basically the third one would seem only fair to those who don't have gaming computers (although I'm looking to have both) ;)

14. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    If they ever released console versions why not a 360 version as well, not just PS3.

15. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    If there ever is a console release I would expect it to be at least 2 years after the initial launch. They spent so much money on this game they need to make sure that it doesn't bomb on PC before they put efforts into porting it over to console.

I really don't think it will ever happen but if it does come out on console, your probably looking at 3 years from today, minimum. But that's just my opinion.

16. DARKMETHOD

DARKMETHOD Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    XB360 and PS3 can both handle TOR that is no question, the only problem in between TOR coming to both systems is that both system's companies want some of the monthly fee they would charge. see xblive wants a piece and psn wants a piece too, now if they can work out that fee both systems want EA/Bioware to charge to bring the game on each on of their systems.

example- dc universe online is being developed by sony online entertainment, they still had to pay Playstation network to come out on the ps3. you think same company, right? wrong! SOE is not part of Sony north america, different companies have different business structures.

so then come to Microsoft and Sony who by business structures have to make a profit off of a game from EA/Bioware to put on their product. So right now EA will not throw that much funds to bring out TOR when on PC it will be successful period.

the next gen i do see Sony and Microsoft making a business structure involving more MMO's. now Microsoft did allow final fantasy on xb360 because they wanted to get in on the Japanese gaming market. which it was allowed for the business structure for MS to be successful in japan.

i do wish TOR would come to xb360 or ps3 but i don't see it this generation of consoles.

Rumor does have it that MS and blizzard are working together to bring an MMO to the new xbox. it's rumor but at least we will see MMO's in next gen and maybe TOR!

17. TORquedvodcast

TORquedvodcast Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2010
    So far they have said PC only

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.