main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any chance we can move on to the 21st century here? [Sure!]

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Harpalyce, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    The fanfic FAQ gives "Should slash be allowed in fanfic" as one of the two examples of topics that should be discussed in comms rather than fanfic resource.

2. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    I'll be honest, DarthBreezy, I'm not really sure what you want from me here?

Coms was where I was directed to put this question so Coms is where I put it (that's what it says in the fanfic FAQ). The mods seem to agree that things need changing, and I'm very glad about that. There's been no threats of things reversing; if anything, there's been every indication that things will be changed because the mods are in agreement, they're just waiting for one mod to come back after they're done with real life stuff (which I completely understand). As far as I see there's no threat here to fanfiction that's already been published, not even a hint to that direction, and to be honest I'd be fine with the thread being locked because as I'm concerned my question has been asked and answered positively. I know you don't like me for being a bit aggressive but sometimes the wheel needs to squeak before grease is doled out, lol.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A couple of points:

1. I think Lucas' reaction to "How do you feel about fan fiction with a transgender Luke Skywalker/androgynous Leia/etc.?" would be, at this point, something along the lines of 'LOL wut? You brought me out of retirement for this? The characters' sexuality has not changed since I wrote the characters. Now if you'll excuse me, I have affordable housing to build. kthxby '

2. We are getting at least one homosexual canon character, in the upcoming book Lords of the Sith. It's not as if there will be no opportunity to explore same-sex relationships among LFL-based characters. I have nothing against the idea of Luke being gay, but I do not find it bass-ackwards or socially conservative to go with the already-established policy: let it alone, he's straight. By all means explore homosexuality/transgenderism/etc. with original characters and any future canon characters that are portrayed that way. Which leads me to my next point:

3. Sites like fanfiction.net have pages and pages of stories that are nothing but 'shipping. It's almost a challenge to see what character we can pair with whom next. I don't have a nexu in this arena fight because it's been so long since I posted in that forum but I do have to ask, is that what active members of the fan fiction forum want the forum to look like? Or do they want a forum with stories where 'shipping is not the predominant focus?

Ewok Poet and DarthBreezy like this.
  4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Tracy, I [face_love] you.

That's it - dump the hubby and come away with me! I can handle male kidlets... After all, right now I have two adult sized ones here! ;)

5. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    I guess that's where we agree to disagree - I don't see an alternate universe where Luke is trans, Leia is agender, etc. different from any other alternate universe wherein we change canon. It's just another facet of canon that can be mutable as we look into alternate universes, which all do not spit in the eye of canon because they are alternate universes.

My nexu in this fight is I want a forum where people of all sexualities feel welcome, without having their specific sexuality singled out as 'bad', 'wrong', etc even when they want to see reflections of themselves in canon characters. And I would hope that's a pretty reasonable goal. But call me a crazy kid for wanting it, I guess.

Rew, Frank T. and skygawker like this.
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So we agree fanfic is a terrible evil, up there with Bronyism and fascism?

7. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

Sure, why not Ender... ;)

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Excellent.

My plans for world domination are a step closer to realisation.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, and this discussion is about changing that policy so that people are no longer forced to be "ambiguous" about a character's orientation as if it were the 1950s. We're well aware of the long-standing policy even though we don't have nearly your experience with the fanfic boards.

I appreciate this post and the advice given.

Harpalyce and Chyntuck like this.
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I think it is important to note that this was brought up here in comms, instead of just fanfic, because this policy also affects the RPF. Whatever applies to one will also apply to the other. The policy also involves the owners of the site, not just mods and admin. This isn't just about SSR in fanfic and RP (though this is a large part of the issue), we want to make the boards more inclusive.

Unfortunately, like it has been mentioned before, both Mavjade and Ramza (along with several other mods) are away right now (and I'm still on limited time) so progress on this has been slowed.

11. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Well there you go - I was NEVER 'ambiguous' when I wrote my works, nor were my characters, mind you, I also made it a point that their sexuality was never a focal point of the story. Mind you, I never tried to hide it about them either - it was just who they (are) were. *shrugs*

Ewok Poet likes this.
  12. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    Let me see if, after a shower and before I embark upon doing my nails, I can do a bit of a master post to clear up some things. I don't appreciate words being put into my mouth as much as the next person, so hopefully this will let us avoid that.

No, I'm not here to tear down progress that's already been made. I don't want to see things backslide. I just think we have more of a way to go until we have a place where people who are not heterosexual can feel at home. Not sure where this comes from.

Inclusivity is my main goal here. I feel that these policies bleed out onto the rest of the forum. Most of my fellow Star Wars fans I personally know refuse to go to tf.n because these rules mark it, to them, as backwards and outdated if not outright hostile to their lifestyles.

Yes, I think slash between main characters should be allowed too, as other alternate universes are already allowed. George Lucas has made it clear in the strongest possible way that Luke Skywalker is a good guy, but nobody starts frothing at the mouth when we want to write an AU where Luke is evil. I am not here to spit in the eye of those who set down canon, not more than any other alternate universe fan is. Right now we're telling people that if they want to write an alternate universe to explore a topic and that topic happens to be 'any canon character less straight than a ruler', that is unacceptable. We're telling people that if they want to identify with that canon character in that way, it's bad and harmful. We don't attack cosplayers who show up with a different skin color or with a few extra pounds, despite what canon says; we shouldn't attack people who want to write about this either.

No, I don't want to usher in a new dawn of slash fanfic hell where everything is penises a-go-go all the way or whatever. I'm not sure where this comes from. So far our fanfic hasn't turned into penis-and-vagina-a-go-go all the way since heterosexuality is allowed, it stands to reason that things aren't going to suddenly become R-rated madness at the drop of a hat just because we say it's maybe okay to explore nonheterosexuality in fanfic with whichever characters we choose. Again, I'm not sure where the idea that I want us to descend into mature-fanfiction-net madness comes from. I think it's pretty clear that from page one we've been talking about slash fic not as prurient interest but as another form of acceptable fanfiction pairing just like how heterosexuality is treated already on these boards.

Again, inclusivity is my main goal here. I'm tired and angry about seeing TF.N caricatured as a backwards place for backwards people, just as I am tired and angry of hearing my friends talk about how unsafe they feel here.

To me the question has already been answered, and I thank the mods profusely for their diligency and expedient response. I know real life is hitting several of y'all hard and I don't expect a miracle overnight solution. I just wanted to get the gears moving, and this has been done. I couldn't be more pleased with the response, and I'd like to profusely thank all of the mods for being so kind and diligent about the situation.

THE EVIL CLIFFIE, Rew and Chyntuck like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's not about R-rated penis-and-vagina a-go-go, if you were referring to my post.

Even with PG-rated fics, you don't want pages upon pages of 'shipping fics in which, instead of writing a good compelling story with a well-thought-out plot that ties in well with the existing universe (or takes it in a different direction, in the case of AUs), authors just experiment with either their fantasy 'ship or experiment with pairing this character with that character and see if they can be convincing.

Sort of like the Melrose Place show in the 90s.

Again...is that what regular fanfic members want the forum to be? A 'ship fest?

If homosexuals/bisexuals/transgendered people feel unsafe here, that subject certainly needs to be addressed, but I don't see how allowing Anakin/Palpatine fan fiction is going to make them feel included.

The solution there, assuming they have visited since the new TOS with the hate speech policy was added, is to address whether that is adequate.

14. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

You can't drop this giant **** here and then say "oh it's all good".

What does 'inclusiveness' in fan fiction have to do with FAN FICTION?

And Calling members of the community you are trying to win over 'backwards' etc ect, and claiming people feel 'unsafe?'

Someone pass me the key to the BIG cabinet, please... @Briannakin - I know you're holding it while Mav's away...

15. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    Why is allowing homosexual shipping going to make the forum any more of a ship fest than it already is? Why is this suddenly a concern only with non-heterosexuality rearing its head?

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's why the majority of my Star Wars friends don't come here. I've even gotten a few "ew, you still go to that place?" comments. That's why I'm wanting to see things change.

THE EVIL CLIFFIE and skygawker like this.
  16. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm getting dizzy now...

:confused:

17. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    So am I. I'm sorry I'm unable to adequately explain my position here. I did not intend to offend, I was merely attempting to clarify - and apparently failed in my task.

As I said, my goal here has already been achieved. The moderators are looking forward to change and so am I. For me the issue is closed.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If you will look at the rule posted earlier, cross-species non-canon 'shipping is also prohibited. No Padme/Jar-Jar fics.

Im opposed to such non canon pairings as Obi-Wan/Padme and protested those pairings from being allowed in the original discussion on this too. The more fan fiction does become a 'shipfest, the more inclined I am to agree with Ender.

I'm sorry if you have friends who don't come here because they can't 'ship Han and Lando.

But don't pretend this is about homosexuality or inclusiveness. It isn't.

19. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010

I am following Briannakin's lead in talking about inclusivity through fanfiction. Perhaps if I cannot adequately explain things, Briannakin can.

20. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Excuse my ignorance, but can someone PM me as what the heck "shipping" is referring to in this context?

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    "Shipping" is short for "relationshipping" - e.g., writing stories where romance between the two characters is paramount, or supporting a romance between two characters. "I'm a Rex/Ahsoka or Rexshoka shipper" = "I like reading about and support Rex and Ahsoka having a romance". I hope that helps. :)

22. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    You want the easy answer or the real one?

23. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

PM whatever best explains the current usage.

Harpalyce Thanks. But aren't relationships (either platonic or otherwise) the central tenant of a good story anyway?

24. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    Usually shipping refers to purely romantic relationships. But I think those can be central to good stories, too, and like writing romances of all types, so I am biased. :)

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    'Shipping refers to romance, which a story does not have to have.