main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA Any Coders?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JarusSarn, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Are there any coders in the house? I'm wondering because I've got an idea for a Total Conversion Mod of Unreal Tournament 2004 and I'm looking for Programmers, and modeling artists (Maya experience preferred). The rough concept would be a cross between Star Wars and Firefly, with lots of pistol. :D let me know if you're interested in helping out with this project at all.

2. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    I would be happy to offer my services as a...

Beta tester! That's the best I can do.

3. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    doh! :oops:

Well, thanks anyway, haha. I look forward to asking you to beta test it ;)

4. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    I am game for testing but not sure about helping in any other way since my art skills and coding skills are below par

5. TuleenDonai

TuleenDonai Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    What kind of coding?

How are you hacking Unreal Tournament?

Tuleen

6. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Well, they've got an editor out, mostly for mapping and scripting I think.

Here's a link to the UnreaWiki's page about the Unreal Engine. I think it explains a bit. Looks like it's based in C++

The kind of mod that I was thinking of, would be a 3rd person shooter, (to begin with) with vehicles and pistols (with the ability to draw the pistols out of a holster). The game would almost play as an RPG (i.e. Never Winter Nights or any MMO) but would be based around twitch gameplay. I'd like to include multiple playstyles in the future i.e. Crafting, Entertaining, Commanding, etc... I'd also like to have customizable characters. That's kind of the game design in a nutshell. Hope that answers the questions.

7. InvaderSil

InvaderSil Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2006
    Jarus, that's quite the total conversion. Have you done something like that before? As I said over on the Seattle board, I attempted to mod Unreal 2003 and we were over our heads. Vision was too big. Your vision sounds even bigger. But I guess you gots to dream big to make it big. Well, that's my two cents. I'm willing to try again. :)

InvaderSil

8. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Hmm... well, there certainly wouldn't be a time frame for finishing it, I'd like it to be a casually made, well put together mod, polished. We would have time to learn what we didn't know ;) Where are you located InvaderSil? Somewhere in Washington I assume :D. I'd like to keep the mod team fairly local, I'd say the Washington state would be a good standard, mostly because I'd like to have regular team meetings where everyone could meet face-to-face and have worthwhile, productive discussions :D

If you'd like to chat a bit about it, my MSN ID is interestingjohn@hotmail.com or my yahoo is sarnspices. You can also PM me if you'd like my phone #.

Glad to see I've piqued a few people's interest. :D

9. InvaderSil

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm in Bothell and I mingle with the Everett club. I'm all for productive meetings. heh my MSN Messenger account is InvaderSil. I can be reached via email at <user name> + @gmail.com. And on yahoo, I can be reached at escaflowne75. Lots of options here.

10. mightyd4

mightyd4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 24, 2004
    I have a bunch of old C++ books from college if you need them. I took some basic programming but nothing on the scale of "graphics".

11. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    Oi Vey! I dislike C++, makes my head hurt :p

Well John you already have all my contact information, well except for my exact address unless I gave it to you 2 weeks ago (don't really remember that much from that trip up there now).

I will see how I can help but no guarantees on anything

12. InvaderSil

Jan 11, 2006
    Yes, some things c++ can cause migraines, but forturnately we'd be using UnrealScript. It has a similarity to C++ as I recall. There will be lots of learning on how to interact with objects in Unreal. If they run the Make something Unreal contest again, we should make a goal of entering in the contest. But really that's a long way off for a project with no time table. I need to go buy a copy of unreal somewhere. BTW, Jarus, I added you to my Windows Messenger client. If I'm home, I'm normally online. Hit me up Gmail/Google Talk style any other time.

13. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Can do ;) I'm always on MSN while I'm at work on by luscious G5 and while I'm at home if I'm at the computer. I've begun construction on the community site for this project/mod... www.gunborn.com The site's not done yet, and I'll announce when I'm ready for people to begin registering and posting blogs/forum posts and ideas about the universe... There you have it. ;) More to come.

14. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Oh, and since I haven't posted it yet, here's a bit of concept art I'm working on, It's about half done.

[image=http://www.thespokantina.com/characterconcept1.jpg]

I've got 3 character's total so far, and 6 weapons. I'll have them all posted on the website when they're done and painted in Photoshop.

15. InvaderSil

Jan 11, 2006
    Nice! Gives me hope! heh Next payday, I'll go snatch up a copy of Unreal 2004 and start learning UnrealScript like there's no tomorrow! ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.