main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any college students skipping school for CIII?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by _-Reborn_Jedi-_, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    The reason I'm asking this is because, well, I'm stuck in a predicament right now. I currently work full-time (day shift) and take part-time college at night for 4 days a week, thus I barely have enough time to do homework/studying. Unfortunately, 2 of my classes fall on days that I will either be traveling or attending CIII (I bought my tickets before even knowing about this) As of this past week I started my 2nd semester, and my syllabi for each class is downright frightening. I haven't talked to my instructors yet about taking these days off, but I do plan to. It's just that I do not know whether or not college instructors will let a person attempt to do class/homework ahead of time, rather than being swamped with late work upon returning to school. I wanted to know if any other students are having the same problem, and what you did to get around this. I'm just nervous right now, and keep thinking I will have to sell my CIII ticket so I don't fail any classes or whatnot [face_worried]

2. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I don't know what kind of work your classes involve, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it beforehand. The best bet is to talk to your instructors, but in my experience, they are happy to let you do things early (except exams). I will be missing three days of class and there's a paper due that week in one of them, but I'm just going to get it done early and turn it in the week before. Some of the classes are small and grade based on how much you speak in discussion...but as long as I speak up a lot in the next few months, I don't think anyone will fail me for missing one or two class sessions. You shouldn't have anything to worry about as long as you plan ahead.

3. Darth_Larsen

Darth_Larsen Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    i have a teacher the requires 100% attendance.

but she is letting me do the work and turning it in to her during her office hour the day i get back.

just dont mess any other days, and keep up with your work and show that you are a good student and you should be fine(i would think).

4. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

Mar 9, 2002
    Well the one class is math (algebra, yeah, I'm behind in math) and the other is english (I have a 5-min. presentation to do that day, I dunno how I'm going to get out of that) but my history class is at the beginning of the week, no worries there. The thing is, especially with math, I don't know how I will learn a new section on my own, if the instructor won't be able to teach it to me. I just hope that once I get towards the things I need to learn, that it won't be too hard. I just worry too much, school has turned me into a neurotic mess, heh. Anyways, thanks for the replies, I feel a little more optimistic now. I'll talk to my instructors next week and hopefully update with good news :)

5. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    A member of our Fan Force that is going talked to his teacher's about takeing his final exams a week early to go to CIII. And all of his teache'rs are letting him take them a week early so he can go to CIII. It won't hurt to ask.

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm with the others, speak to your instructors well ahead of time and things will be fine.

7. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I have a test on the 25th, but I have chance to retake the test in June. I have of course already mailed my professor in advance so I know there will not be any problems.

8. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    A couple of people in my fan force is are writing finals then but are getting a few exams deffered so they can write them later/early or etc. If they let you defer finals then I imagine it'd be okay to miss some classes so long as you keep up with the work...

9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I have an assignment due in on the 25th, and I'm getting back on the 26th, hopefully we will get it in good time so that I can hand it in before I leave.

10. geekgal

geekgal Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2004
    I spoke with all my instructors on the first day back this semester. Everything is ok, I have some papers due that I'll have to turn in early, but it's no huge problem. The only issue I'm having is that the next day of class that I have will be the start of finals week. I just hope that there won't be anything that will require a monster amount of studying on day 1.
    My advice, just talk to your instructors, most will understand and work with you since you're being honest and the fact that it's January and you're trying to work things out now for April. Last year I missed two finals for Trilogy Tuesday, and they loved the fact that I was asking them to miss them for Lord of the Rings and I was being so sincere.

11. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    I'm leaving after school on Thursday. I don't like to skip class, although I did skip class for C2 (it was an optional study class... and ironically, I have the same teacher this semester as I did when I went to C2... [face_worried] )

Most of my classes are on Tuesday/Thursday, and I could leave after my class gets out at 3, if I talk to one of my teachers to see if I can leave or not. I don't know if I can turn in my project early for the class that gets out at 3.

Will, why did you schedule class on Friday?! :p

12. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

Mar 9, 2002
    Nah, I didn't schedule classes for Friday I only have class M-Th. I leave on Wednesday, so technically I'll be missing only two classes, but I still have a lot of classwork/homework to worry about for the whole week.

13. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    Okay, when you said that you had classes on days when you would be traveling or attending, that threw me off. ;)

At least you'll porbably be leaving earlier than I am if we both attend classes. :p

Teachers will usually do things for you if you have to miss class, especially if you attend class every day. ;)

14. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    I have my final exams on the 25th and 26th - I'll be studying my little flash cards on the plane back on the 24th, lol!
    At first I was worried that my exams were going to be on the wednesday and thursday I would be travelling to C3, but I lucked out... we don't have makeup tests, I would have just had to take a zero probably :\

15. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    They're just skipping finals? Heck, I'm taking this entire semester off! ;)

16. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I AM! I'm leaving early AM Thurs so I don't have to miss Wed and I'm returning on Sun. 2 days missed....I still need to talk with my instructors though.

17. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    i was lucky enough to be able to take 3 online classes and a a correspondance class this semester. so i dont have to worry about skipping classes. i just i dont have anything major due while im gone. i dont want to have to rush to get stuff in early.

my parents thought it was stupid to do this for a con. they just dont get it.

18. hofie

hofie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2002
    Skipping class?

I CANCELLED my class :)

And one of my students is going as well, so he was really happy the first day when I told the class I was cancelling classes Thursday and Friday for C3.

That week is a big party week here at Purdue, so most people skip Thursday and Friday anyway, especially since my class is at 7:30.

19. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Technically I'm not skipping class.

Uni in Germany starts the week after C3. And because we are not allowed to miss the first class of the term I'm trying to take care that I don't have classes on Monay or Tuesday morning the next term.
    We are leaving Indianapolis on Monday and will be back in Germany on Tuesday morning... Tuesday evening I already have a class I have to take, so I'll be sitting there and trying to ignore the fact that I'm awake for 20 hours and having a huge jetlag :p

20. Darth_Glymmer

Darth_Glymmer Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 18, 2002
    You're flying in from Germany to go to C3? Wow!

I'll have class on that Friday I'll be missing, hopefully it won't be anything I can't handle.

21. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    A geek does what a geek has to do :-B :D :p

22. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    I'm flying in from Sweden... ;)

And I'm going to miss a few lectures, but I think if I just read a LOT I will make it. Lectures aren't really compulsory here (well, they say they are but they aren't really) so as long as you don't fail the exams everything's okay... :)

23. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I'm missing two days of lectures including a three hour lab, but as long as there are no exams that day, all will be well :)

24. BobaFett-MP

BobaFett-MP Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2001
    I'm missing one day of Aviation Pilot Ground school, but that's it.

25. SkoXylo

SkoXylo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    I'm missing 3 lectures and a lab. I was worried when they handed out the syllabus and it said that no late work or make-up stuff would be accepted, but I went to all my instructors and they were cool with me missing as long as I hand in my work before I leave. I think most prof.s are willing to work with you as long as your honest with them, give plenty of notice, and are willing to give them your work when they want it (before or after). :) How could you not miss class for CIII? I mean, come on, a class that happens all the time or a once in a lifetime celebration???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.