main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO any event in mind?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Stl_Imperial, May 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stl_Imperial

Stl_Imperial Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    Hi Everyone!

I am curious of a few things. First of all, do we have an event coordinator? Second thing is how often does everyone get together whether it is as one large group or as small groups?

I am hoping that on some kind of regular basis there might be an informal get together and just b/s evening. With as many different personalities, interest, and backgrounds here it just seems wrong if there wasn't anything that was planned! I read pretty much all of the posts regarding who everyone is and it seems that we have an excellent group here. Now if there isn't anything in place to bring us together and I hope I am not out of place by saying this, lets figure out how to make that happen. :)

MTFBWY.....always! :)

Larry

2. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    [face_laugh]

we talk about this all the time :)

We need 3 meetings to be official, we got one left. We're hoping to get see AOTC at some point, Steph has the info.

Our biggest problem is we all have lives... and some of us have to travel quite a ways to get to meetings.

But once we're official we shall have more meetings, hoefully :)

oh yeah, and so far Steph (Jedigal) has done all the planning. Once we become official we get to pick a city representative :)

hope I covered everything...

3. Stl_Imperial

May 7, 2002
    Actually that is exactly what I was looking for. I have to say that I was hoping that there might be casual meetings for whatever reason...gaming, costumes, web site brainstorming, and of course the general bs :)

Larry

4. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Official meetings just means that we plan something far enough in advance to have it posted as a notice on the main FanForce board. Also, it is just nice when we plan something with a good amount of advance notice, say 2 wks or more, so that people can plan on attending.

Casual meetings? SURE! You bet we can have casual meetings. Here's how I imagine a casual mtg might get started.

New thread appears, entitled "Anybody busy Friday?" The thread was started by, say Stl_Imperial for example. :)

The original post suggests an activity, (movie, dinner, shop some toy stores, assassinate some Rebel spies, whatever) and a time and place. Why does the original post say all that? Because if you just say "Hey, anybody want to do something?" and then they say "Yes" and you say "What?" they're just gonna say "I dunno know, what do you think?" By the time you get it all sorted out, Friday will be long gone, or else everyone will have made other plans. But hey, this is completely MHO, nothing more.

The next post says "Yup, I'm up for that." Detailed planning follows, like time adjustments, driving directions, more people jump on, some people are disappointed b/c they can't make it, etc.

After the gathering posts follow saying how much fun everyone had (or didn't have), and "Wallah" a casual event has occurred.

Now, as Tabee has said, quite a few of us actually have lives. So there may be times when a casual meeting doesn't pan out, b/c we're all booked up with such exciting events as attending our dad's b-day party, cleaning out the garage, taking our spouse on a date, spending 'quality time' with the kids, etc. But I would pretty much guarantee that this method would meet with results if attempted periodically. I say that, b/c I check out the forums at other cities where I have friends, specifically Indianapolis, Chicago, and Minneapolis, and I've seen this happen there repeatedly.

5. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    All that said, I think "casual" meetings would be great. (Not that our other meetings are exactly "formal".)

This way, we don't have to worry about the centrality of a location, and other junk. We can just propose something, and if it happens, it happens.

As far as the title of this whole thread - any event in mind? Yes, I'm exploring a group AotC showing as an "official" event. I sent an email out about this before I had your email addy on my list. I'll zap a copy to ya. Anybody else who didn't get this and wants it, PM me or email me - jedigal@swbell.net - and I'll get it out to you too.

That's all for now. You can go about your business. Move along, move along.

6. Stl_Imperial

May 7, 2002
    Ok well for my first suggestion, the thought came to mind to meet at Dave and Buster's and beat each other up at some video games and maybe enjoy some eats and drinks before the movie starts. Now I don't think that they would like us showing up in costume but hey.....you never know. It would be kinda sweet though! :) Since the movie starts at midnight and we all need time to get to the theater, I would think that somewhere around 8:30 till 10 or 10:30 would work great. On top of all that, what better time for all of us to meet each other than the night of the movie release! :)

Larry

7. Jedi_Tabee

Sep 6, 2001
    um... what's a Dave and Busters?

you have to remember, some of us are in Illinois ;)

8. mediaboss34

mediaboss34 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    D&B's would be awesome. But there are a lot of minors on the board too. I took my employees there for a reward once and I think we needed 1 adult per 3 minors.

Besides, it's kind of short notice now. A week, two weeks ago would have been the time to suggest that.

9. Stl_Imperial

May 7, 2002
    Dave and Buster's is in Earth City. It is a restaurant that also has an area for pool and a massive arcade game with sweet games including the star wars trilogy game (don?t remember the exact title), the pod racer game, and lots of other sweet games for racing, shooting, fighting, skee ball, games of skill, etc.....including a boxing game that tracks your body movements! On top of that it also has a bar and booths for eating dinner/appetizers right in the middle. Trust me.....lots of fun!

Larry

10. Jedi_Tabee

Sep 6, 2001
    oh...

ok...

but yeah, it is a bit of short notice, although that does sound like a fun meeting :)

11. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Another problem with D&B is that anyone going to Esquire would have to drive pretty fast when we're done to get a good spot in line there.

12. mediaboss34

mediaboss34 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, maybe not opening night, It might not be a bad idea for a gathering later on...

13. Lonelyjedi

Lonelyjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    sounds fun...ive been there b4

14. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    D&B's would be fun, but it's a hella long drive for our Illinois members. *cough*

:p

I suggest we go to the O'Fallon 15 for an AotC showing, and then to Chuck E. Chesse in Fairview Heights. :D

15. Another.Sky.Walk.er..

Another.Sky.Walk.er.. Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2000
    Chucky Cheese???

How unconventional.

Although I'm not one to complain since I choose to party with family there for my 18th B-day!!! :D

D&B's sounds like fun too!!! Star Wars games ohhhh!!!! If we went there we could have podracing contests.

Decisions, Decisions!!!

16. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    That podracing game is hard as all get out. I wasted about 10 bucks on that thing the last time I was there. [face_plain]

17. Stl_Imperial

May 7, 2002
    I have been thinking about this since I originally put up the post. This weekend I thought of something that could be an excellent planned event. In about a month the Tour De Cure will be near St. Louis. It actually runs up the geat river road for 20, 50, or 100 miles. We would also get free Dominos pizza and free tickets to Raging Rivers Water park. If you aren't familiar with the tour de cure it is basically a fund raising bike ride for finding the cure to cancer. You just find people to donate a certain amount per mile or a total amount. We would also get free lunch, some public awareness for the group, and on top of all that we would help a great cause. The event will be held on June 23 starting at 7 am and it goes till 8 pm. Just for the recond it isnt a race. It is just a very casual ride through a very scenic area. If you don't want to find donations you can also just pay a registration fee of $25. You can get all the info on the event at

http://www.diabetes.org/tourdecure/EventDetails.asp?idEvent=141&strState=MO

So...thoughts on this? I can tell you that it is LOTS of fun.

Larry

18. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    It sounds like a lot of fun, but unfortunately, I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed on the 21st. My brother was out of it for like 4 or 5 days when he got his removed last year, so I don't think I'll be up to riding my bike. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.