main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any extra tips on my first fanfilm?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by steveskywalker, Jul 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveskywalker

steveskywalker Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2002
    I've read all the tutorials and they're all great. I'm just wondering if theres any extra tips or suggestions you guys can offer would be great. I really wanna make a great first impression with my first fanfilm.

Anything at all would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    have a great story that is different

3. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    The acting. That is the most important thing in any film. Even more important than the technical stuff because the acting is what will make or break it.

Find exceptional actors.

4. steveskywalker

Apr 27, 2002
    Thanks for the info!

5. steveskywalker

Apr 27, 2002
  6. Jedi Chimi

Jedi Chimi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2000
    Something some people tend to forget is to maybe let your local law enforcement know if you'll be shooting in a public area. Especially if you'll be using weapons. I think a few people have found themself in a bit of trouble in the past. ;)

7. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Make sure you direct the camerawork well.

I've heard "Directing Shot by Shot" recommended many times, but haven't read it myself. There are also many other books on the subject.

8. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    Any extra tips on my first fanfilm?

Yea, don't bother us! :p

9. Sketcher

Sketcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    bad day Homer?

10. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    it was a joke! didn't you see the :p ?!!

11. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    u have an interesting sense of humour homer...

12. Sketcher

Mar 18, 2002
    sorry didn't see the face. i guess i'm just too used to people getting bashed around here.

13. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    Getting bashed around here? I always thought this place was very tame.

14. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    What did I do wrong?! I made a little joke and even put the :p in the there and people say I'm bashing. Well fine, you want me to bash, I'll bash.

15. SHATM

SHATM Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    The most important aspect is the script. Good actors are important, of course, but if the script sucks, the actors will suck too. Script is number one, get that right first, then look for good actors.

16. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    There are a lot of tips, tricks, suggestions for making a film better. This has to do, largely, with the amount of 'facets' of filmmaking. I'm new to this, as well, and I find it to be a head-spinning experience, though very rewarding and fun. There's script writing, storyboarding, location scouting, acting, directing, shot composition, lighting, sound, editing, effects, sound mixing, music, color correction, and much more I can't think of right now.

That being said, I would have the following suggestion for your FIRST fanfilm: Keep it very simple. Write a short script, maybe 5 to 10 pages total. This should give you 5 to 10 minutes of finished movie. Get a camera, and some friends to play the parts, and start shooting. Then get all the footage into your computer and start editing. Add effects, sound, music, etc. then render. Put your movie up for people to critique.

I may get a lot of rebuttal for suggesting this method, but I think simple is best in the beginning. If you try to get too involved and perfect, it will quickly become overwhelming. You may never finish this way. Just do it simple and learn (and you will). Then think about making it more complex for your next try.

A quick, bad film is better than a good film that never gets made.

17. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
  18. Sketcher

Mar 18, 2002
    homer i just didn't see the face and automaticlally took your comment as an insult. i didn't mean to offend you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.