main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any Graphic Designers/Artists Out There?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by redlightning, Sep 21, 2015.

1. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I'm just curious about this. Are there any real world graphic designers, production artists, etc. out there doing this for a living at least as a freelancer?

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm currently doing a freelance project and from past freelance projects and from others' freelance projects, I can tell you that it is very, very difficult to make a living out of freelancing unless all you do are about ten projects a week. Of every artist and writer I've spoken to, they've always said to keep your day job and just do commissions and freelance work on the side.

Pay rates vary from project to project and client to client. Some can afford your rates, some can pay more, and others pay less. While you can turn down lesser offers, sometimes you simply need whatever cash you can get.

As was told to me by many a professional: Don't quit your day job.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I absolutely agree that it's extremely difficult to break out and do this as a full-time career. Of course, it's not an impossible feat and it's the ultimate goal of any artist, but it will take a lot of blood, sweat and tears to be able to get to that point.

Personally, I do a lot of freelance illustration work (currently working on two Star Wars-related projects), while my day job is as a full-time graphic designer in a publications office, so I have a little of both worlds. Again, I would absolutely love to be able to focus entirely on my illustration, but that will still take some time. My best advice would be to never give up and believe in yourself and your work!

4. DarthGaul

DarthGaul Jedi Master star 3

May 25, 2004
    It's a hard career to break into since it is so very saturated with artists trying to be in this field of work. Depending on where you live and where you want to focus on (Freelance/Full Time, Graphic Designer/Artist/illustrator, Web Designer...), you could possibly get a good job. I tried for years to get my foot in the door so many times, but no company wanted to hire a "Full time" Graphic artist, freelance and contract is all that is out there for now. Unfortunately for my case, I couldn't live on that kind of pay or lifestyle, it was just too chaotic.
    If you are young (and no kids), it's great to give it a go and see what's out there. But you really need to ask yourself at some point if this is going to be a career or just a hobby. I have a friend who managed to get in and stay in a job or two that got him to the top of the design food chain. But he's constantly telling me he wised he took another direction career wise, the workload becomes crazy and he has no time (and lost his passion) for his own illustrations.

So while everyone here can give you advice either pro or con....it really is about just how committed you are about this. Stay the course and pursue the dream or go another direction and keep the artist side for your own enjoyment.

Whatever you decide, I say good luck to you and may it be kinder to you then it was to me.