main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any Harlan Ellison fans here?

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by skyedancer, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyedancer

skyedancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2002
    The science fiction writer Harlan Ellison will be coming to "lecture" at the Northwest/Ayres Branch of the Akron-Summit County Public Library on April 8 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. In addition to writing science fiction short stories and novels, he also wrote one of the the more famous original Star Trek episodes "City on the Edge of Forever." If anyone is interested, I will try to make some hyperlinks--the operative word being try!

2. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    That sounds interesting, although I'm concerned there will be a number of Trekkies there...wouldn't want to get the Klingons in a tizzy over a couple jedi walking in. :D

I'm joking, of course. Sounds like this could be a very interesting evening event to attend.

EDIT: If you want some help with creating links, try this how to make a link (and other fun stuff)

3. skyedancer

Sep 26, 2002
    Thanks, Geoff. Today I found out that although the print version of the publicity for this event is available, the web version has not been uploaded yet. :confused: As soon as the techies do this, I will find this thread again and make the link.

4. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
  5. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Harlan Ellison is a writer/essayist who grew up in the Cleveland area. He is...opinionated about a great many things and his willingness to share those opinions has made him several enemies in the science fiction/fantasy community. It has also made him some fiercely loyal friends. He wrote several episodes of Star Trek before having a falling out with Gene Rodenberry. He also wrote many episodes of The Outer Limits, including the one James Camreon stole the idea for the movie Terminator from. I saw him at a comic convention once but have no real interest in anything he's written.

6. skyedancer

Sep 26, 2002
    I haven't read Ellison myself in a "very long time" so I'm not certain he would interest me any longer. But I'm never certain what other JKOC members might be interested in reading when it somes to SF or fantasy. DonC or anyone else know anything about Dan Simmons? He wrote "Hyperion." I just heard about it yesterday.

7. Siri_Ruane

Siri_Ruane Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Hey! I know of someone else who's coming to Cleveland soon!

FLEETWOOD MAC!!!!!

8. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Never heard of either of them... what kind of stuff has he writer that is good?

9. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    Fleetwood who?

J/K

10. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Why did the Dixie Chicks have to kill their song??? WHY??? Country music... ARGH!

11. Siri_Ruane

Jan 13, 2003
    Though I'm also a fan of Country Music, I do agree that the hens slaughtered it. Totally slaughtered it.

12. skyedancer

Sep 26, 2002
    Hey, I think I finally figured this hyperlink thing out! See if this clicks:www.ascpl.oh.us/shelflife/shelflife.pdf
    Wow, do I feel old that Emily doesn't know who Fleetwood Mac is! Anyway, it turns out I can't go to this Harlan Ellison thing either due to a change in my work schedule.

13. Siri_Ruane

Jan 13, 2003
    Don't feel old! I'm only thirteen, and I'm the biggest fan there ever was!

14. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    Discurage inbreeding...ban country music.

15. Siri_Ruane

Jan 13, 2003
    I think I might have imposed on the Harlan Ellison thread by mentioning Fleetwood Mac. Sorry. I don't think I've ever heard of him.

16. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I think I destroyed the thread. I have a way of leading groups off-topic... I do this six-degrees of separation thing in my head, which makes total sense to me, but when I speak, the end-product makes no sense to anyone else, so they say that it's random. Hence the genesis of my nickname, Random. But generally I can explain my reasoning to people, and they'll see that it's not too random at all. In fact, I think I'm taking us off topic again with this post! I'm so Random!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.