main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Any Help Here Would Be Hot...

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AnakinWisler, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinWisler

AnakinWisler Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    I need help picking a photo to send in for a casting call. What pic do you guys think would be the best?

Click Here

2. Darth_Vegeta

Darth_Vegeta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2001
    AAAAHHH!! A Colt clone army!! ;)

I'd go with 2, 6, 10, or 13.

3. micdavis

micdavis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2003

What is the part?

4. EUCustomMan

EUCustomMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2001
    1,8 or 9.

What is this for...are you an actor? All those times running into you at Wal-mart and the hours in line for EP2 and I never thought you were an actor.

5. EUCustomMan

Nov 7, 2001
    Actually, know that I think about it. Acting would explain the costumes and lightsaber battles while in line. Your an actor...it makes so much sense now.
    :eek:
    That's why you sister always has a video camera huh?

6. AnakinWisler

Aug 7, 2002
    ^ :eek: Hey, the Wal-Mart guy :D

I'm starting my acting career, yes :)

7. EUCustomMan

Nov 7, 2001
    Yeah, the Wal-Mart guy, KB guy, Comic-Con guy, EP2 line guy. My name is James for the next time we meet. Myself, my woman and my best friend all just call you Anakin :)

Are you guys going to go to the Masqurade(sp?) this year at Comic-Con? You should stay for the whole thing this time.

8. AnakinWisler

Aug 7, 2002
    Ok, James... your other friend is Darren, right?

Yes, I am staying for the ENTIRE Masqurade this year :p I was thinking of entering it, but that crowed it too brutal. :p

9. EUCustomMan

Nov 7, 2001
    yes, my friends name is Darren...good memory!

Yeah, the crowd is a little mean, unless your a half naked woman. You should do it anyways, so that the crowd can rain harsh judgment apon you.

10. AnakinWisler

Aug 7, 2002
    ^ Yeah...that's just what I want :p

11. Arma_Geda-Mandalore

Arma_Geda-Mandalore Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Gee, Colt. Not like I pretend to have any knowledge in this, but I'd suggest 1, 8 or 13. :(

Casting people are funny. How many pics are you allowed? Can it be a montage? Did they ask for headshots?

I'm kind of bummed you never talked to me about this. I could have shown you my stuff. What're you, taking lessons from the IE? All those "actors" never did anything but stare blankly at me when I brought this stuff up. ;)

Feel free to PM me, and I may have a couple pointers for you. Or not. You may want to do this on your own. That's cool, I guess, but this is free advice.

12. AnakinWisler

Aug 7, 2002
    Thanks Armand! :) I'll talk with you later about it :)

I am going to submit 2. A head shot and one of my upper body.

:eek: And no, I'm not taking lessons from the IE [face_plain] :p

13. tk-7603

tk-7603 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2003
    1 and two are def. the best ones, ive seen...um wheres the rest of these 48 pics? huh? huh?

wanna see the rest!

14. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    AHhh you actors, nothing but movable props for us directors to use..

8-}

Colt, I'd go with 1. It's your strongest shot and it's the most neutral. A director could cast you as either serious or comedic, hero or villian with that shot. It's by far your best. I've seen some bad head shots that doen't even look like the people who took them. Yours are pretty ok.

15. Arma_Geda-Mandalore

Arma_Geda-Mandalore Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Never ask your Grandma or your mom to pick out your pic for you. Second to that, never ask your friends.

To begin with, unless any of these people mentioned are actually in the business, they have next to no idea what to look for in a pic. They also know you personally, and use that in determining what photo "brings out the real you". This is not the intention of these photos. What we look for in snapshots are memories are reminders of that person and how best to capture the times we shared. Business/work/head shots are completely different. They are simply your first line of advertisement along with your resume (which comes later if you're serious about this).

If your friends tell you "use this one, it really shows who you are", then they should simply pipe down and leave this to people who know the score. To be blunt, a casting director couldn't care less "who you are", and often "what you can do". They simply look at the face and whether they can use it or not. Knowing this, you try to pick a shot that shows you as being camera friendly (unless you're a "character-type" in which case you look for other characteristics). Tough-guy looks, smiling toothy grins, etc. usually don't work as well as a plain, mature shot.

In addition, if the call is for headshots, then they don't want a torso shot. They're looking for your face, plain and simple. Never give them anything more than what they ask for, because they can also find more to complain about.

So, if you believe your friends, that's sweet. They'll always be there through your career waiting tables. However, if you're serious about this business, you need to be a big dog and understand that there are those out there who can help without bringing emotion and personal friendship into the equation. Let's face it, this business, like any other, is motivated by money. If you truly believe these people have convinced themselves they're saving lives or furthering their craft, then a wake-up call is in order.

Colt, I can only recommend that you get some professional help (that didn't sound right) if you are truly sincere in this career choice. Don't hire anyone straight away, but find a trustworthy consultant or use the great entertainment business tactic; schmoozing. It'll pay off, believe me. Beware of charlatans.

I am assuming this is for basic background/extra work. In this case, your pic is all they will use to choose you. It sucks, but they could care less if you are the best chainsaw juggler or do a great Edward G. Robinson impression. That's a completely different casting process.

16. Epicauthor

Aug 2, 2002
    Never ask your Grandma or your mom to pick out your pic for you. Second to that, never ask your friends.

Unlessyour friends are involved with theatre and can give you an honest opinion (or they're just your friends). Colt, I stand by my suggestion. Go with number 1 and good luck.

17. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I'm going to add my 2-cents here as well.

This is a very fickle profession and some people struggle all their lives for a "break" (Jim Carrey is a good example of someone who "made it") And no disrespect to EpicAuthor, but theatre at least requires you to act; movies and television go almost solely on looks - and as soon as you lose them, unless you're well established, then you're history.

I prepared to become a scriptwriter in the business but I was appalled (and still am) at the backstabbing, stealing of ideas, and ego of people in this business.

My oldest son was part of one of those blanket audions/casting calls from a firm in La Jolla. We went to the audition and out of 20-30 people, he was one of two that were called back. The head person from L.A. was there are really wanted him - she even offered to reduce their class fee by 50%. Fortunately he decided against it (especially when I told him it would cut into his time with friends, little league, cub scouts, etc.); kids don't do well unless they know from an early age they want to do this. My kid's not dedicated enought; for which I'm just as glad.

I don't intend this to be discourageing, just a reality check. Armand gives some excellent advice. There are lots of successful actors who are very grounded. I wish you luck and hope you succeed. You have a great look that would do well in tv or movies.

18. Epicauthor

Aug 2, 2002
    And no disrespect to EpicAuthor

None taken. :)

I just meet so many bitter actors who were burned by the system and it seems that they all forget how wonderful the craft is. Whether acting, designing, filming, producing, or directing..film and theatre at it's heart is a greatthing that is more than the sum of their parts.

Yes there is backstabbing, but there is to varying degrees with pretty much any field. For anyone who is in teh field, don't go into it for money, go into it because you love to do it. This way (at least I think) you wont get so bitter so easily.

19. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Yes, there are those that do it because they love it. They can't not do it (sorry for the double negative) and the money/fame is secondary.

20. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    Colt,

In all seriousness, I know a few female models and the shot in #12 I believe is what they are looking for.

My friends have shown me their portfolios and the pose and look is the one that does it for them.

Good luck bro,
    Brandon

21. Sith_241

Sith_241 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Yeah, dont ask the IE!! :)

22. BenKnoB

BenKnoB Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2002
    hey Colt first of all I wish you good luck
    Just giving my opinion, I think #1 & #12 the only reason is those two seemed to catch my eye the most,but why no light saber levitating,just kiding,hope it works out it's always good to know a celebrety.

Edit: don't forget to put Horseman on your resume,just assuming having horses means you are experienced with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.