main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any idea what Caedus means???

Discussion in 'Literature' started by THX2112, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THX2112

THX2112 Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2009
    This has probably been discussed, but I'm new to the forum and have been curious about this for some time. Does anyone know how the winner of the contest came to pick the name Caedus and if the name itself stands for anything significant? For instance, it's my understanding that Vader means "father" in Dutch. Does Caedus have a similar origin? Thanks in advance!!!

2. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    Have a look here for an explanation:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Caedus#Sith_Name

3. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Basically, caedo, caedere, cecidi, casurus is a Latin verb meaning "to kill/to cut/to sacrifice." Caedes is a Latin noun meaning "slaughter/murder." Cado, cadere, cecidi, casus is a Latin verb meaning "to fall." The first too are closely related, and its highly likely the name came from either/both of these. The third is more of a general, coincidental similarity, but it fits in well with the others anyway.

It's actually a really cool name, with a very Sith-y meaning ("to sacrifice"...brrr) and a very cool sound to it as well. All in all, it's one of my favorite "Darth" names we've gotten so far.
    Now if only the actual character had lived up to it...

Although Caedus does also rather resemble cedo, cedere, cessi, cessurus, a Latin verb meaning "to yield/withdraw." So maybe he does live up to his name, after all. :p

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    What Peabody said. ;)

If I recall correctly, I think the "official" (so, non-etymological) meaning according to the original Darth Who contest was something like "a battle of darkness". Clearly that has no real world basis, but I assume it might be their "what it means in Sithese" meaning or something.

But, Sithese aside, it has some very nice real world derivations too.

5. MasterKenobi1138

MasterKenobi1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2008
    He did live up to it... in that Jacen's character was "sacrificed" for the sake of bringing forward yet another Skywalker gone "EEVVIILLL!":p

I remember the Wookieepedia page lists the name as meaning either "a battle of darkness" or "to cut" or "to sacrifice." Frankly, I prefer the first translation, since it matches up with Jacen's Knight Templar style and his obsession with bringing about eternal peace and justice to the galaxy by crushing all those ignorant evildoers.

6. THX2112

THX2112 Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2009
    Thanks to all for the feedback!!!

7. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    What would really be interesting, is to know WTH it means in-universe.

Movie Sith names were pretty obvious. Caedus...isn't...

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

SW has a sacred respect for latin things. So when that ridiculous Name the Darth contest went out, I knew it would be a latin name but kept quiet about it. And once again... was right.

9. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Yeah, but not always. Andeddu is a pseudo-Japanese way of saying "undead". (It's really andeddo, if we want to use proper katakana, but still.)

Mine means "spider" because, let's face it, that sums up the Sith in a nutshell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.