main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any ideas as to what the Tusken Raiders look like under the wraps?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by JediKnightOB1, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I have not read anything about this, but feel that what the Tusken Raiders look like is important. More important than what the stormtroopers look like.

I have a reason to belive that they look very familure. An ironic twist would be if they looked like Anakin.

Any ideas as to what the Tusken Raiders look like under the wraps?

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    [image=http://www.peterwilkinson.karoo.net/michael%20jackson.jpg]

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I was told that they are a bunch of nomad Humans! i could be totally wrong!

4. thesockthatwearsSBC

thesockthatwearsSBC Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2003
    They have to be some other spiecies than humans, because they require special breathers, that is what the black thing over where their mouth would be is. AB, that would just be more freitening than when I was watching ESB for the first time and I found out that Vader was Luke's dad. I would be the one screaming "No, its not possible!!!!" Though I do appreciate your vivid sense of humor Adam.

5. Mauls_Other_Half

Mauls_Other_Half Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2001
    Why on earth would they look like Anakin? That's the craziest theory I've ever read. I can't figure out if the reason I'm still laughing is because of the first post or the second one. I like your sense of humour Adam...

6. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    "they require special breathers"

Do they?
    They are natives to Tatooine and should therefore be able breathe the air perfectly.
    However, there is a production painting for ANH by Ralph McQuarrie of a Tusken camp in the book "The illustrated SW universe", and one of them is pictured without a mask.
    She/he look like some kind of Orc with a beard; Bald head, pointy ears, and monkey-like facial features. Guess that´s the closest thing to a barefaced Tusken we have come to date.

7. sergejg

sergejg Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2002
    Tunsken are a tribute to Frank Herberts "Dune", where GL took lots of ideas from in the original trilogy.

They are the Freemen, they use those suits so they dont spoil even 1 drop of water from their bodies in order to survive during a life time to the weather of a desert planet.

Well, in my mind that's what they look like, hehe, they have blue within blue eyes. hehe.

8. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    In the original novelization for Star Wars, it described them as an offshoot of the Jawa's species. Both were seen as stinking, rodent-like creatures buried deep beneath their robes and bandages.

They're probably humanoid. And the breathing tubes they were allow them to breath freely through Tatooine's relentless dust storms.

9. JediMasterDylan

JediMasterDylan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 8, 2003
    Based on what they sound like (no way a human creature could make those noises IMHO...) I'm guessing they look much different than humans even though they are bipeds and seem very intelligent. Not knowing what they or the Jawas look like is part of the fun/mystery. And I didn't know the novel stated they're related to Jawas, interesting.

And looking like Anakin is just plain crazy. :p

10. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I thought this was interesting...Lucas described them as: "Something slightly different than human" in the AOTC audio commentary. He said it while everyone was at the homestead talking about the abduction of Shmi. He seemed to drive home the point that Cliegg made about them being very vicious and this was the first time we really learn anything about them when watching in order 1-6.

The Anakin thing...Um no.

The stormtrooper thing...we now know. At least some of them look like Jango.

11. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Surely you'd know better than to believe that the Tusken Raiders looked like Anakin.

They have to be human, or something very close to human, because Anakin said that he slew them "like animals". Perhaps in the SW universe an animal is defined as anything that's not human(oid).

12. Mech-E_Jedi

Mech-E_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    While an interesting topic, I, for one, do not want to see the Tuskins without their wraps.

Why?

Because that leaves me to my imagination about what they might look like.

Do we need to "see" them? No. It makes no difference to the story. In fact, if we were to unmask one and see that it was anything other than a weird alien (i.e. Anakin like), that would strike me as "cheesy", trite, hackneyed.

Essentially, it is more realistic that Anakin start to slip into the Dark side by slaughtering something that is generally considered as vile (i.e. the Tuskins). Despite what we see on TV, most people just don't commit violent crimes out of the blue. It takes many small and deeper steps first for that person to ease his own guilt via justification. Anakin is no different.

Since he perceives the Tuskins as revolting animals, he can feel penitent but justified. That feeling that he was justified is the key. The thinking is something like this, "The Tuskins really hurt me so I killed them all. It was bad to kill them, but it's OK because they hurt me and they are animals; vile animals. . . "

That's a really long winded way of saying that the Tuskins aren't human beings.

;) . . . IMHO.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    They're animals for killing Shmi, so Anakin "slaughtered them like animals."

But then he specficially mentions the women and the children - terms that no one would use to describe females and young of an animal species.

They are sentient in some way - obviously not as intelligent as most habitants of Tatooine, but they certainly appear to be above living on an animal level - the tribal aspects, the huts, the "dogs" they have as guards/companions, the use of weapons including firearms, the use of breathers and goggles.

I don't think you can call them animals.

But to remain on-topic, I think it would be so very pointless to "uncover" the secret of the Tuskens.

How could this possibly be a plot point?

What's next, we're going to find out why certain Padawans of the human species wear their hair short, with a long single braid?

14. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I thought they were banished human farmers but needed their coverings to survive in the extreme conditions.

15. capo

capo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2003
    like devils

16. CyHunter

CyHunter Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2003
    I imagine they look like dark, scabby-skinned humanoids with gaping maws for mouths. 'Could be totally wrong, of course, just my imagination at work.

17. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I think Mech-E and Garth Maul have both excellent points, that address any all aspects of this post

18. BFE_Winters

BFE_Winters Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2003
    The history of the Sand People is fully explained in KOTOR by the Sand People elder. He explains how once Tatooine was fertile, humid and had water, hosting his species who once resembled humans (most star wars species are humanoid). Sadly, a battle during a galactic war made "fire and light" (lasers) rain down on the planet, turning (melting) all of its vast continents to glass and evaporating all the water. The glass shattered and turned into sand, creating the desert wasteland that is Tatooine.

Before the attack, Sand People didn't need rags; they were simply living in their natural environment. However, the radical change caused by the attack forced them to adopt clothing and breathers that helped them survive in the harsh desert landscape. Since most, if not all, of their technological equipment is stolen from other species living on the planet, the Sand People must have been able to survive independently before they stole strong technology, suggesting that they can survive without their clothing and breathers though it's more difficult.

Sorta off topic, but I though I'd share lol :)

KOTOR is an excellent game, and even gives insight into the very creation and introduction of hyperspace in the galaxy by the first dominant species. Must buy for PC or XBOX.

Winters

19. FILTHY_ITCH

FILTHY_ITCH Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    why do padawans wear that braid,. will we see this in episode 3 explained?

20. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Wow, I didn't think anyone would care about the Padawan braid. Really.

Let me think of another one:

will we finally learn why the CloneTroopers have white armor?

Will we learn why Wookiees don't wear clothes?

Alright, I'll stop now. ;)

21. FILTHY_ITCH

FILTHY_ITCH Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    exactly.

22. Mech-E_Jedi

Mech-E_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    Thanks Ghost_Jedi. Always flattering to know someone reads my thoughts. :)

Now on to this KOTOR thing . . .
    BFE_Winters, I see that you are young on these boards by your registration date. Let me say welcome and we're glad you are here. However, you will find that there are definitely two types of people here: those who follow what is called EU (expanded universe) and those who cringe at it's mention.

I happen to cringe . . .

It's good to hear that someone out there has made up some story about some exotic sounding name, er, KOTOR, and has contrived some story about how Tatooine used to be like, perhaps.

That's super.

But I'm not buying it.

It is safest to stick to the movies and "official" stuff from GL. Anything beyond that from the RPG or whatever is one possibility. That's it. That's all; Just like my supposition that the Tuskins are ugly aliens.

;)

23. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I would imagine they have very leather skin. Since the Tuskens proably would have lived out in the desert for hundreds and hundreds of years, there bodys have proably evolved to survive with very little or no water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.