main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any Joe Hisaishi fans out there?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Jackalope, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackalope

Jackalope Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    I'm a longtime lurker on this forum--finally had something to post about. Anyway, for the past year or so, I've been listening to a lot of the great Japanese film composer Joe Hisaishi. He's mostly known for his collaborations with filmmakers Hayao Miyazaki and Takeshi Kitano. Hisaishi has the unique ability to capture innocence, nostalgia, and exoticness of the films he's worked on.

For those who listen to Hisaishi's stuff, I'm just wondering what your favorite scores are. Personally, I like Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Spirited Away. I only have a little of his Kitano stuff, so I'm less able to comment on that.

For those who haven't heard Joe Hisaishi's works, I suggest going out and picking up the Sprited Away and Princess Mononoke soundtracks on Milan records--those are the easiest to find domestic two albums. Believe me, you'll thank yourself.

2. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I'm a huge fan of Joe Hisaishi. He is one of my absolute favorite composers. I've only got about 20 of his albums, so I'm always on the search for more, unfortunately some of his scores are ridiculously hard to find. One of the reasons I get so much joy out of Hisaishi's work is that - like all of my favorite composers - he has a knack for beautiful and catchy melodies and has a very distinct sound.

Hands down, my favorite score of his is Brother. Some of my other favorites are Kikujiro, My Neighbor Totoro, Laputa, and Spirited Away.

I would also suggest the DVD -- A Wish to the Moon: Joe Hisaishi and Nine Cellos 2003 Etude and Encore Tour. I bought it a few months ago, and it's well worth the money. The only place I was able to find it was Amazon.co.jp:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B00009KMBB/ref=dp_change_lang/503-9540086-3659136?ie=UTF8&language=en%5FJP

You can check out a preview of the DVD here.

3. Jackalope

Jackalope Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    Wow... 20 CD's is quite the collection. I have all of Hisaishi's Miyazaki soundtracks plus a few of the image albums and symphonic albums (for Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky). I don't own any of the Kitano soundtracks, but I do have the Hisaishi Meets Kitano Films album ( http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Hisaishi-Meets-Kitano-Films/dp/B00005L94W )--a good overview I think.

Anyway, I've had some recent good luck getting Hisaishi's Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli stuff here:

http://www.discountanimedvd.com/product_list_category.asp?cate=17&iType=2&cateName=Miyazaki+Hayao+Collection

I think this place sells grey market goods--i.e., the CD's were made legitimately in Taiwan under license and then subsequently exported to the US.

4. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    What I have of him - Spirited Away and Kikujiro - I enjoy. I hadn't realized he did Princess Mononoke, but then again I only have one track from that OST.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.