main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any Mac users out there?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DVeditor, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Win XP is based on FreeBSD, an open source OS somewhat like linux

Where the hell did you get that from?!? FreeBSD IS a Linux distribution. XP is designed off of the Win2k Kernel which is built off of NT. There is no coorelation between them whatsoever.

Granted, NT and subsequently XP, got a lot of great ideas from Linux, but that doesn't mean they based the system on it. They are completely different.

Jedikes1138
    Yes, you are exactly right. In fact, the ability to swap to the old system on the fly like that, is really impressive. But, it would be a lot better if it were more seemless. I guess they did they best the could.

Later tonight, when I get the time, I will put together the diffinitive list of the difference in all the OS's (including Linux) and what it means to people like us. I mean, skipping all the technical mumbo jumbo, and just sticking to what's important. Usability.

I've used all 3 for many, many years. I know what I'm talking about. And the level of chest pounding and ignorance in this thread is driving me up the wall.

2. Obi_One_Kenodi

Obi_One_Kenodi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 2, 2004
    I guess I'm a bit late in posting, but I'd like to chip in that I use Mac for everything and wouldn't dream of using a PC.

3. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    bgii_2000 - regarding bus speeds.....the G5's are WAY faster than 800 MHz.

"Its frontside bus works at speeds up to 1.25GHz for an astounding 10GBps of total bandwidth. That makes it 450MHz faster than even the latest Intel 875 chipset, which sputters out at 800MHz.
    To ensure maximum efficiency on dual G5 systems, each processor has its own dedicated frontside bus. The resulting bandwidth of 20GBps on dual 2.5GHz systems offers more than three times the 6.4GBps maximum throughput of Pentium 4-based systems."

Just a note.

:D

4. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    FWIW, Linux rocks.

[face_plain]

5. Jedikes1138

Jedikes1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    Durb translation: My chest cavity is going to explode from my computer knowledge!

:D

Hmm, that'd be interesting to see. As for Mac OS 9 on X, what do you mean "more seamless"? As I see it, the only way to make it better is if translators for the programming structure were to be built into the Mac OS, rather than having to boot up Mac OS 9 still in X. Example: Opening an older program built for Mac OS 9 that could automatically load up in Mac OS X.

On another note, I think "XP" is funny. I mean seriously! It looks like a face! Look...

XP

It's kinda like an emote squinting eyes in laughter sticking his tongue out!

...That's just me. And in no way do I mean that Windows XP runs like a face does.

6. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    There is a rumor that that is exactly why those chose those letters. I don't know if it's true...

By "more seemless", I mean that, yeah, it would be cool to simply have older apps run in X, but that ain't gonna happen without some sort of emulator. That in itself would be more overhead than simply swapping temorarily to the old system. So, they did the best they could...
    I guess that's what happens when you completely replace the archetecture of the OS.

And, yeah, all joking aside, I have more computer knowledge than most people for sure. Remember, I started using computers before most of you folks were even born. I used the old DOS machines. I owned an Apple when it was still a green and black monochrome monitor machine. The first Mac I had, was a little tiny, self contained black and white machine with a 10" monitor.
    Believe me, I remember the early EARLY days of home PCs.

7. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    My dad used to use the ancient computers where all you had to work with was a few lights and several toggle switches...then they got punch-cards! :D

8. braxtanFILM

braxtanFILM Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I used to play Montezuma's revenge on my old Apple II with the green monitor. I've been using PCs and Macs since about 1986.

As per the argument of editing software, Avid VS FCP isn't really a Mac vs PC debate, since most Avid machines are custom built and often run on Unix, with Xeon processors. I don't really consider that a PC.

That being said, I still prefer PC to Mac! We got games!

9. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, I hear ya.

I would really like to say that my choice of OS is not based on software. But, I'm afraid it is. If After Effects, FlashMX, Director, and PhotoShop ran in Linux, I'd switch completely tomorrow.

No other software really matters to me. There are equivelents in Linux for eveything else I use, that work better. I can't use a Mac because I need more control over the system.

So, there you have it. My opinion is that I only use Windows by necessity, not because it's the best system. This is why I have no defense against all the horrible things people say about it.

I will elaborate on this later.

10. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Lol, now games is one area I where I will choose a PC over a Mac. That and 3D Animation is pretty much what I do on my PC. (As if I had time for games though...oh well.) There are a bunch of neat games that are Mac compatible but the game companies have a way to go on that until there are enough titles to compare.

11. beafet

Mar 12, 2001
    Durb: The Gimp and Film Gimp, are pretty much equivalent to Photoshop.
    Or is there something in Photoshop that you can't do in those?

[face_plain]

EDIT: Film Gimp is now CinePaint

[face_plain]

12. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    I have about as many troubles on every operating system I use.

When I was in Army Intelligence (insert joke here), every computer we used was unix or linux based, and they still had crashes on occasion.

If I could afford it, I wouldn't use a PC or Mac, I'd get a Sun Microsystem!

13. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    The Gimp and Film Gimp, are pretty much equivalent to Photoshop.

Equivelent? Perhaps they can do roughly the same things. But, I'm very used to the efficiency of Photoshop. I'm just familiar with it. I haven't used Gimp enough to be nearly that comfortable with it.

Never seen Film Gimp. But, from what I gather, it's just an editor. That is not going to replace After Effects anytime soon.

14. beafet

Mar 12, 2001
    Its not even close to an editor.

It edits 32 bit images, as opposed to Gimp's 8 bit, and Photoshop's 16- bit

http://www.cinepaint.org

[face_plain]

EDIT: from that site:

"CinePaint is painting and retouching software primarily used for motion picture frame-by-frame retouching and dust-busting. It has been used on many feature films, including THE LAST SAMURAI where it was used to add flying arrows. CinePaint is different from other painting tools because it supports deep color depth image formats up to 32-bit per channel deep. For comparison, GIMP is limited to 8-bit, and Photoshop to 16-bit."

15. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    Well, I did say, I'd never seen it... I was taking a leap thinking that it was an editor.

By that description, that actually sounds really cool. I must follow up on that.

16. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    IF pc got FCP, then i can almost garentee you that alot more people would go with PC on these boards.

17. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    How does FCP compare to Vegas? I've never used FCP. But, Vegas is absolutely awesome!

In terms of editors, I don't see any reason to use anything else, really... I mean, if you be a PC person anyway.

18. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Is vegas available for PC? I thougt it was, if so, does it support HD? Because im buying a HD camera in a couple of days and lack the programs that give me HD support at the moment. (Might end up upgrading my computer so i can use the premier plug-in that needs 3ghz or faster CPU)

19. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Here's a link to Vegas info - there is some sort of HD add-on there...

20. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    Vegas is badass. I like it more than anything I've used. It's different, that's for sure!

21. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Doesn't Vegas 5 have surround sound controls? :D I love playing with those.

22. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    It has pretty much everything I could ever want. The capture driver is really awesome, especially for those lazy people like me who hate capturing. All you have to do is pop in the tape, and click the "Capture Tape" button, and it will go through and capture the entire tape, making new clip sequences every time you started and stopped the camera.

23. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    <<whats so special about final cut pro?

It owns all other editing systems except Avid...>>

I could disagree with you there. I can do anything on FCP that can be done on an Avid Media Composer or Symphony.

<<Oh, but Avid, well Avid owns. >>

Only because of it's name.

<<I've used PCs and Macs for over 10 years, and I'd just as soon give my money to a bum on the street than pay for a crapintosh. >>

I've used Pcs all my life and have used MAcs for the past 5 years, so i was there for the switch over to OSX. I'll admit that macs were (to put it nicely) quirky with OS9, but since OSX emerged, I've had nothing but praise for Macs. I tend to find that the main problems when I go out to fix edit suites are normally the hard drives they're using for capture and scratch disk.

<<Like Shadow said - this kinda excludes Avid >>

Again, I could disagree there. Avid's equivelant to FCP is Xpress Pro - a limited program if i ever saw one. but Avid's equivelant in PRICE is your bog standard Xpress - pointless to say the least - it's more iMovie than anything else, and iMovie still whips it.

<<Just because im in highschool does not mean that i dont know about the industry>>

No, really - it does mean that. Until you work in the (or any) industry, you've got NO idea how it works.

<<People look for creativity and originality. They want to see your work, not what programs you know.>>

...but you've got to be able to back everything up wit knowledge. No-one is gonna hire someone who directed a short film and had every other job done by someone else - i.e. ALL they did was direct.

<<I might be mistaken but i believe ILM uses pc's also. Might be wrong tho>.

ILM don't edit anything.

<<The fact that im only 16 doesnt mean i know more or less about the industry then you do. Because if you knew so much bout it them you would be in it yourself already..no>>

I am.

<<On Thursday, my first new Mac since 1992 will arrive.
    Primary reason: Shake

I HAVE been left out of compositing jobs soley for not having Shake. That changes this weekend.>>

Congrats dude - I wish you luck.

<<if not hundreds-of-thousands of dollars>>

that's more accurate

<<C4D is something I'm starting to get a feel for. It works the same on a Mac or PC>>

Gotta learn me that!

<<In the end its just an operating system and really, the programs dont change much between the two. Its really just a matter of layout.>>

Heh, you just proved darthsaber's point!

<<Well guess what, remember that 10% I was talking about? That's you. It's not wrong, it's just different. >>

Whilst I kind of agree with you brax, I would say your figures are somewhat "old school". I would say that a higher percentage use "other" systems than AVID, especially over recent years.

I would also point out that Avid is available for both MAC and PC, so those figures only represent the software used, not the hardware (just to clarify).

As for the OS. Again, to clarify something - OSX is a 64-bit application and is 64-bit out of the box. Windows is not, unless you have one of the highly sought after and very underdeveloped XP 64 versions. It's also interesting to note that there's no point having a 64-bit windows OS as no-one (as far as I'm aware) has released a 64-bit application for it yet.

<<Also, has anyone here EVER been to a film and video expo? I've been to lots around the country, and I've NEVER seen a Mac booth. >>

Really? I see a ton of mac booths over here (UK), and most production houses I've visted have macs as well as PCs - granted most of the PCs are built-to-order AVID systems and office machines, but the majority are macs. It'd be interesting to do a figure comparison between the UK and the USA.

<<Another thing is, theres not "alt+ctrl+delete" function on a mac, how am i supposed to see whats running on my computer? If there is a way then thats cool.

Look at it. If the program is open, it's running. If it's not, it's not. Unlike Windows, OSX doesn't run a lot of crap in the background, making a task manager complet

24. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Dude, that post was ANYTHING but shorty. ;) Nothing against it of course - it was very informative. Just thought I'd comment on the length.

Man this seems to be drawing lots of people...and it's not even what I meant to talk about when I started the topic...oh well. Some good stuff has been brought up here and just so everyone remembers that it's ultimately up to the user to make the final call it's all good. Party on.

25. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    heh, i just kept typing responses :p

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.