main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI Any Michigan football fans here?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by GS335, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GS335

GS335 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2001
    Hello everyone :)

I must say, after the 2001 season, I am really down on this football program right now. They had three bad loses at the end of the year. On top of that, the team got progressively worse after the lost to Michigan State. One can blame John Navarre all they want, but I think that the problem is coaching. Some of the play calls in the Ohio State and Tennessee games were just down right aweful. I know that the running game was bad, and the offense was too one dimensional, but the coaches obviously did a bad job in getting the team ready for the OSU game, and the team was embarrassed in the Citrus Bowl.

I think that Lloyd Carr is too conservative with his play calling, and needs to make a philosophy change. With that said, I think that 2002 is going to be a make or break year for this football program. Another bad season is not going to cut it at the University of Michigan, especially with all the talent this team has. If they have another 8-4, 7-5, or even 9-3 season, than I truly think that the Athletic Director is going to have to get rid of Lloyd Carr, and find a new coach. I just find the underachieving to be unacceptable, as well as the bad coaching.

Thoughts, anyone?

2. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    Wait 'til Mirax and huttese come back...they'll talk shop with ya...royalguard too maybe. :)

3. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    Oooh, I'll talk Michigan football.

First of all, I agree that the play calling was conservative last year. Let's face it, though, Navarre isn't that good, and we only had one real threat in the WR corps. We didn't have the kind of running game that we had either, when the A-train, Biakabutuka and the like were here. Carr probably tried to keep the plays somewhat conservative so that the limited talent could handle it. That's my suspicion anyway. After all, Carr seemed to have more exciting plays in the past when Hansen and Griese were in town. What I would like to see is Navarre sharing time with Gonzales, or someone else (I thought Gonzales looked good when he was in last year), and then let the other guy cut loose!

Probably won't happen, and if it did who's to say it would work. One thing's for sure - a change HAS to be made.

4. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Ooo, my blood is boiling already! You expressed my thoughts exactly. I loved Lloyd Carr up until the last two years. Now I'm just sick and tired of mediocrity! We are supposed to be the "Leaders and Best" but I guess someone over there has forgotten that. Yes, I am a total UM snob. But, I am a grad and I cheer really loudly at games, unlike so many others. But, I won't go off on the 'fans'. That would take pages by itself.

Our policy of scheduling "Little Sisters of the Poor" and Pioneer High School (sorry, Kat) for our non-conference games is another symptom of this problem. I'm sorry MAC folks, but a program like Michigan should not be on the field with any MAC team. (Of course, MSU is a different story ;) bring on the flames) I know this is related to the BCS system (another blood-boiling topic), but I don't think we should dumb down our program in order to put up more wins. Besides, what is easier to get up for - a game against WMU or Colorado???? We show up for the small games. We WIN the big ones. At least that's how it should to be.

As much as I adore traditional Michigan Football, the running offense isn't getting the job done. Why aren't we looking at what all those d#$% Florida teams and Nebraska are doing that makes them so strong and, not copying it, but at least learning from it. We all know that if we faced Nebraska or FSU or Florida in our current state, we'd be smeared all over the field. I find that unacceptable. If we need to make a change, for the good of the program, we shouldn't let history stop us.

I'm actually quite worried about Big Ten football in general. The conference is losing respect on the national scene and no one seems alarmed by that. Here's where history should be spurring us on. The 2nd oldest conference, with the proudest tradition and we've had one national champ in the last 15 years(?don't quote me on that?). Pretty pathetic.

Ok, I guess I've vented enough for the time being. Are any of you ticket holders? Our group sits in Section 18 in the SW corner. Maybe we should do a Star Wars tailgate ;)

Regards,
    M.

5. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    You all need to hold out one more year. With the departure of conservative Stan Parrish there will be a new guy calling the plays. Carr has no influence on the play calling. So this new guy will be able to take advantage of incoming freshmen Carl Tabb, Jason Avant, and Matt Gutierrez. Not to mention Bellamy, Butler and Bell return as receivers - the defense will be among the best in the nation - and both lines will be experienced. The talent is there and the difficult schedule is there...Washington, Utah and Notre Dame in nonconference.

There is no way that you can call for Carr's job. In the past 7 seasons he is #4 in wins behind Fulmer, Bowden and Spurrier. Michigan has consistently been in the top 5 in recruiting. His problem is choosing where to go in crucial situations.

What worries me is Navarre playing quarterback. Gutierrez and Gonzales will battle him for the #1 spot, both are much more moble and Gutierrez is just as tall.

If Michigan doesn't make the BCS this year, then you all can start calling for his job

6. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    The play calling was lousy...the officiating sucked...and sparty can't keep time. "What a wonderful smell you've discovered!" Loyd. That's all I have to say about that. :mad:

7. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    OK, I am a HUUUUUUGE Michigan football fan! That MSU game pissed me off more than any since Desmond Howard was tripped in the end zone in that infamous play in 1990 when UM was ranked #1.

I think everyone's being kinda hard on Lloyd Carr. His national championship in 1997 basically won him a free pass for life, because we appreciate our championships so much. His team has been right there with the best year in and year out. He runs his team with class and discipline, which is much more than I can say for Fullmer, Spurrier and Bowden.

Having said all that, 2001 should go down as a disappointment. Michigan was the best of a weaker Big Ten conference, and should never have lost to crap teams like MSU and Ohio State. That loss to State really took the wind out of them, as it would any team who got screwed over like that. Navarre regerssed during the season, and having seen Gonzalez play at Orchard Lake St. Mary's, look for him to get a real good shot at statring QB this year. He will mix things up a bit and keep defenses on their toes. Navarre will be the next Scott Dreisbach - a decent QB who started as an underclassman and was passed by talented players younger than him.

OK that's enough of a rant for tonight!! Good thread though, let's keep it up.

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    Hi! Big UM football fan, too.

I'd like to suggest that it's not Lloyd's playcalling that is at fault but his defensive coordinator, Jim Herrmann. I know that Michigan's defense is always highly rated, but then how do you explain losses like we had last year? Seems like our defense doesn't show up until the 2nd quarter of the game, and when our opponent knows this, they run the score up and make it impossible to catch up.
    The main area I've noticed a loack of defense is in the short-pass coverage. Seems like Herrmann coaches the guys to defend against the run and long plays at any cost. This leaves the middle of the field wide open, and a fast team can make short passes and run for the first down. Time and time again we seem to get burned here.

Has anyone else noticed this?

9. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I hadn't, but I'll look at that more carefully this upcoming season.

10. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Welcome to our group, Lady Phoenix! :)

Excellent analysis of some of the defensive weaknesses. That unit was supposed to be the strength of the team, and truly was an enigma. The MSU game in particular showed all the good and bad. They recorded 12 sacks, yet allowed Duckett more than 200 yards rushing and seemed to let Rogers run wild all over the field. Lassiter committed one of the stupidest penalties I've ever seen on that 4th-and-10 play, and his recent arrest for solicitation puts his future in jeopardy.

I think not having a consistent running back really hurt the team, after 4 amazing years with the A-train. If they bring Kelly Baraka back, and he plays up to his potential, they can have another explosive unit on offense this year.

11. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    First of all, jeremy LeSueur was the one who committed the penalty...and the defense would have been a lot better if the offense could have kept them off the field for five minutes. Chris Perry is more than capable of being the featured back, and I think he will prove that this season. He had to split minutes with Askew and never got into a groove.

Oh, one more thing...Charles Rogers ran through everybody's secondary, including Fresno States, who was #3 in the nation against the pass.

12. Lady Phoenix

Jun 14, 1999
    It's good to be here royalguard96! Nice to talk football with some SW fans!

"the defense would have been a lot better if the offense could have kept them off the field for five minutes"

You're absolutely right, here. The defense was out there way too much last year and it's because the offense wasn't getting enough first downs. Even when they were "there to play" they would score too quickly. I know, I know, scoring is what matters, but giving the defense a break is important, too.

13. GS335

Feb 22, 2001
    The defense will be strong this year, but the offense is a HUGE question mark.

14. DoubleAgent

DoubleAgent Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    GS335 - in one sentence you have nailed my thoughts exactly...except I am also worried about the defense!!!

I'm not too worried overall (with respect to the Big 10 title) - I think the Big 10 is a bit weak in general. The Spartans could be trouble...did Duckett stay? I think he did, but I can't remember. If so the Spartans are definitely trouble. I think most other Big 10 schools are mediocre. Unfortunately that also means that making the nation's top 10 is unlikely.

I'm in a pessimistic mood today I guess.

15. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    Duckett left, but State will still be very good. Ohio State will be amazing and a co-front runner with Michigan.

16. Lady Phoenix

Jun 14, 1999
    And you should NEVER underestimate the power of the rivalries.

17. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    Michigan will be in the top 10 at the start of the season.

18. Lady Phoenix

Jun 14, 1999
    Too bad.

That always seems to be the kiss of death for us. :(

19. GS335

Feb 22, 2001
    I don't think that Univ. of Michigan is going to be in the top ten, once the preseason rankings come out. I think that they will be 15th, 16th, or as low as 20. The defense is awesome, but there are too many question marks on the offense.

20. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    Sorry, but CNNSI, CBSsportsline, and NBC have them in a range from 6-10 in their early polls. Im guessing if they all agree, then so will the AP voters. The coaches could put them at anywhere from 8-13.

21. Lady Phoenix

Jun 14, 1999
    11th place would be perfect! Just enough motivation for us to improve, but not too optimistic of a ranking to make us cocky. ;)

22. DoubleAgent

DoubleAgent Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    Yeah, I like that too...rank 'em just a bit outside the top 10, and let that be a 'new way to motivate them'.
    :D

23. Lady Phoenix

Jun 14, 1999
    A-ha! I found this old thread...

So it looks like they were ranked 10th afterall, but that Washington was enough to "motivate them." It was a close one, but the wolverines showed definite promise... Gotta work on defending against those short passes, tho'!

24. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    I heard this morning, that Michigan is now ranked 7th...

And I saw the last few seconds of Saturday's game on the news over the weekend. Talk about a "miracle" kick! lol :)

25. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.