main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI Any Michigan football fans here?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by GS335, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UndeadPhelps

UndeadPhelps Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2002
    I reserve my anger for jerks who PRETEND to be Michigan fans like the two who were sitting behind me at the football game on Saturday!

I don't think I've heard this tale.
    Do tell. What makes you say pretend?

2. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Ok, I'll tell, though this is kind of embarrasing for me.

I sit in the SW corner of the Big House, Section 18. It's comprised mostly of VERY lame alumni who come to SIT through the whole game and yell at anyone who is actually cheering and excited and stands up during plays. That is not why I go to football games. I am there to actually cheer and get excited for the team (hence my current level of frustration with the play. Few opportunities to cheer and BE a Michigan fan.)

Anyway, my contention is that people who are more focused on telling everyone else around them to sit down, are PRETEND fans. Why bother coming if that's all you want to do??

On Saturday, the two guys I'm referring to were (finish this later. g2g)

3. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    I hear you M, I used to have season tickets in the club level at the Silverdome. Had the same problems. My brother and I were the only ones that would get excited. Now I have Season tickets in the lower bowl, quite a difference!

4. UndeadPhelps

Oct 28, 2002
    *eagerly awaiting the rest*

I understand what you guys mean. Why go through the bother of paying the tickets and hassle of going if you aren't going to get into it?

Still, I must confess that if someone were to stand the whole time (I doubt you're doing THAT), I would get miffed myself. I would say to myself "they built the seats for a reason, you know". But I want to stand as much as anyone and cheer at the top of my lungs whenever there is a big play (like 4th and inches), or if a huge play develops that might turn into a TD, or the tension is high, etc.

When those moments are over, though, and it's just a regular 1 & 10 situation I just don't see it.

Overall though, I must say that I like a pumped up crowd. That's how it should be. If the stadium is rockin', I feed off it and get pumped up myself. One of the great reasons for being there live.

How I would like to attend a Wolverines or Lions game this year...

5. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Ok, sorry about the interuption in my sordid tale! The nerve of the bell to ring and force me to go teach or something!

So, there was a man in front of me who stood up for every play. He was in front of me, but it wasn't bugging me at all since I understand that need, to really show support. The guys behind me we telling him to "Sit down, A$&^$&%$#" every three minutes and that was REALLY getting on my nerves.

When the guy who was standing left to go to the concession stand, they shouted "Don't come back..." I turned around at that point and said, "Where are you guys, at a football game or an opera house?" This, of course, didn't work in the least, and they turned their stupidity on me, so I stood up and refused to sit down.

It gets uglier from there and basically, I was on the verge of REALLY losing it, so I'll spare myself all those details. Suffice it to say that I'd rather stand for the entire game than put up with loud mouths who don't care about anyone else but themselves. Just stay home and watch it there! (Don't even get me STARTED on swearing in public!)

So, Undead, I guess there is a temper for you to watch out for, but I just don't see you being one of the folks to whom my wrath would be directed. :)

Regards,
    M.

6. UndeadPhelps

Oct 28, 2002
    Swearing in public is not cool.

My own personal preferance at games and concerts is that standing is cool...when circumstances seem to naturally result in it. High intensity play or competition is one such circumstance.

I also wouldn't mind, I'm sure, if everyone is doing it (standing for the whole bloody game), because it then is like a big, group rally-thing. :)

7. UndeadPhelps

Oct 28, 2002
    Even though the season has been somewhat soiled, it can be redeemed if only they exact revenge against the travesty of last year vs. the Spartans.

Go Blue!!

OK, revenge isn't a Jedi trait...but the Wolverines aren't Jedi, are they? [face_devil]

8. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    ...and then the Buckeyes! :D

9. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    Couple things:

1) I'm not a big fan of standing through the whole game because I have a bad knee that starts hurting me significantly after an hour of standing. When *I* pay $40 for a ticket, I want to be able to watch the game. But if I'm forced to stand the whole time to see, I can't do that, so I miss out. :( Plus, just because I'm sitting for some of the plays doesn't mean I'm not into the game. I do plenty of yelling. ;)

2) I, too, am worried about the OSU game, but it would be sweet vengence if we could upset their chances at the Big Ten title this year. ;)

10. UndeadPhelps

Oct 28, 2002
    Good joke I heard on WDFN yesterday:

Why was Bobby Williams upset when his playbook was stolen?

He wasn't finished coloring it yet.

11. Lady Phoenix

Jun 14, 1999
    [face_laugh]

Nice win against MSU this weekend. I'd love to see the same kind of performance against the Buckeyes! ;)

12. DoubleAgent

DoubleAgent Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    Now Bobby has plenty of time to color. Actually I feel pretty bad for him. I hope he manages to rebound from this. The press had been saying that he was likely to go if things didn't get turned around, so it didn't come as a suprise to find that MSU let him go.

Quite a victory, and I agree that hopefully they will put up a performance like this against Ohio State. Let's not overlook Minnesota, though. ;)

13. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    Yeah I feel real bad for Bobby Williams. He get's fired and still will get one year's pay at over 200,000. I would go and coach over at State for that.

14. DoubleAgent

DoubleAgent Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    Excellent victory for the Wolverines.

Minnesota kept it close, but a few key plays (like the blocked punt) helped Michigan pull away big time in the fourth quarter!

Go Blue!

15. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    GO BUCKS!!! HERE ARE SOME GOOD ONES ABOUT MICHIGAN:

Q: Why doesn't Michigan sink into the Great Lakes?
    A: Because poodoo floats!

Q: How do you starve a Michigan football player?
    A: Hide his food stamps inside his math book!

Q: Why is ice no longer available at Michigan football games?
    A: The senior who knew the recipe graduated!

Q: How do you get a Michigan graduate off your front porch?
    A: Pay him for the pizza!

Q: What does the average University of Michigan football player get on his S.A.T.?
    A: Drool!

YEAH OSU!!! WE'RE GONNA OWN BLUE!

16. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Just wanted to get some MI perspectives on today's game [face_clown]

Any predictions?

OSU - 27
    UM - 24

Should be a good game [face_clown]

17. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Uh-oh, Mrs. M is invading our boards now,
    too! My prediction - Michigan by 5.

Kickoff is moments away. GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
    M.

18. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Sorry guys... better luck next year!!! MUWAHAHA!!! Can you say "Fiesta"? Oh wait, that's right, you can't, because you're not going to the Fiesta Bowl!!! [face_devil] Go Bucks!!!

19. Lady Phoenix

Jun 14, 1999
    Alas, we didn't win this year, but at least we gave you a run for the money! We'll be back, more experienced, and stronger next year. Tho' admittedly, OSU will be too! ;)

20. Jingle_Phelps

Jingle_Phelps Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2002
    Well, it took a 1 1/2 quarters to get it going, but overall it was a great game.

Congrats to the mighty Wolverines in their victory against Florida in the Outback Bowl.

And a special 'thanks for nothin' to Penn State for ruining the Big 10's chances to sweep the bowl games.

Of course, we still have Iowa tonight and the Suckeyes on Friday.

21. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I have faith that the Buckeyes will win.

22. Jingle_Phelps

Jingle_Phelps Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2002
    Oops. Typo. [face_blush]

;)

Well, Iowa didn't do so hot.

Pressure's on, Ohio State!

23. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Just barely... but we did it!!! THE BUCKEYES HAVE A TITLE!!!

24. Lady Phoenix

Jun 14, 1999
    I'm glad! Maybe now the Big 10 will get some respect?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.