main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Any one else have an issue with lack of art in the novels?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chris0013, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I love the novels. Getting stories new stories and adventures. But my one big issue with them is the lack of art. All these new ships, planets, etc....but no art for them.

Heir to The Jedi had the Desert Jewel, 5 bounty hunter ships...
    Bloodline had the Moonbright, the junker Greer and Joph flew on their undercover mission, the racing ship Han showed up in...

Not to mention planets, locations on the planets, etc...

But we get no art for them only vague descriptions.

Would it be too much to ask for the new Lucasfilm to produce an art book with concept art / finished designs on these things?

2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I definitely do want official images of many new persons and ships introduced.

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    There actually have been pieces of artwork - mostly in Insider - released that depict scenes from some of the novels.

4. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    He's hanging out with Constable Zuvio.

Dante1120 and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Are you aware of the bizarre underground Vidian fanart cult that sprang up around the time that novel came out?

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a mental image of what the characters look like and it does not bother me to not have something official. But I would certainly look at a concept art book if it were released.

8. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    For me he's that scary guy from Shark Tank but wearing a kilt

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Vidian's the one character I have real trouble building a mental image of. I'd love official art of him.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    At least Claudia Grey has given us castings for her characters.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's the Revenge of Cal Omas.

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You want art in your book?

I got art in your book!

[​IMG]

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, the art in it was good.

14. Kynirin

Kynirin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    I don't particularly need (or perhaps even like) pictures in my books, but if some new things are particularly lacking in description or completely new, it can hurt the experience if you can't imagine from the description what exactly you are looking at. Vidian was mentioned before, and I'd have nominated him for a picture too.

15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Not so much in the novels themselves....but a supplement to the novels...there are more that1/2 a dozen new cannon novels...so a "Art of The New Canon" sort of thing. every 6-8 novels they could drop a art book with designs of ships, locations, etc for fans to get a better idea of that things look like.

16. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The great thing about nineties and (to a lesser extent) double-ohs EU is that images of novel characters popped up all over the place --- West End Games/Wizards of the Coast RPG books, Essential Guides, Adventure Journals, comics series, Japanese book covers, Insider short stories, trading card games, etc etc. Just look at the diversity of image sources in Wook articles like Talon Karrde, Pellaeon, Mara... hell, even Droma has seven official images. It happened organically as a product of how vast and interconnected the EU was, and it never felt forced. More recently, though, we've gotten things like the huge headshot dump of the Readers' Companion that just seemed like it was LFL saying "Ugh, you want images of these characters? Fine, here you go! Put them on Wookieepedia for all we care; just shut up about Cal Omas already!" "And never mind that they look like real-life celebrities; Corran Horn has totally always been Seth Green."

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Garm Bel Iblis suddenly being portrayed by Jeffrey Dean Morgan in the Essential Guide to Warfare always stood out to me.

And without intending to be mean to her because she seems like a very nice person, but Shea Standefer's voluminous output of character likenesses for the Star Wars Galaxy cards in the last few years of the old EU seemed pretty much designed to put faces to as many undepicted names as possible, even though they kind of all looked the same.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.