main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Any one here a William Gibson reader?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Merlyn_Gabriel, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlyn_Gabriel

Merlyn_Gabriel Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Just curious, I did a search but could not find anything here, so please forgive if it has already been brought up before.
    I have read all his books and wonder if anyone else here enjoys them?

Would love to start a discussion :)

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I read a couple of his books but it was years ago. They are probably still in a bookcase here. I remember liking them but no real story details.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    What has he written? What are they about? Sci-fi or fantasy?

4. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    William Gibson is a sci-fi author, one of the pioneers of the cyberpunk movement. He coined the term cyberspace in his book Neuromancer.

Neuromancer is the only thing of his that I've read, but I really (really really) enjoyed it. I believe it has one of the greatest first sentences of all time, so good in fact that I will not spoil it here.

A quick Google search unveils his official site.

5. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I just finished Neuromancer and loved it. The characters, the setting, the mood, the style. . . all great. The AI characters, Wintermute and the Neuromancer, are right up there with Hal from 2001 and Mike from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

I think I'm going to read his Idoru next since it's the only book of his the library had in.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Gibson's earlier writing suffers from his relative inexperience as a writer - they are still exceptionally cool, but pale compared to his later works.

If you liked Neuromancer, the next books you should read are "Count Zero", also by Gibson, and "Snowcrash" by Neil Stephenson.

E_S

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I think he had a book that was based in St. Louis that I tried to read, but only remember it being rather dry. He does Sci Fi, IIRC. One I attempted was an end of the world type book.

8. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Just finished reading Neuromancer a few hours ago. Definately a book that I will need to re-read. Will eventually get the other two novels in the 'Sprawl' trilogy.

Next up is a postcyberpunk novel, Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I am nearing the end of Neuromancer (took me a while because I lost the book in the middle of reading it.) Going to have to go back over it though I think because there's a lot in there that went a bit over my head. Nevertheless really enjoyed it so far.

10. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Surely, Neuromancer is one of those novels that you have to read multiple times in order to say that you fully "Got it".

11. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    I read a good amount of Neuromancer, but for some reason I started becoming bored with it. It was really great work, and things really flew through the early parts with the Panther Moderns and such, but after a while the ideas started to run out for me.

12. padawanlost

padawanlost Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2006
    I've loved everything I've ever read of his. Neuromancer and Count Zero are both great.

The wonderfulf thing with Gibson is that technology has made much of his sci-fi into fact, in his own lifetime. I find that amazing.

And better yet, the books don't seem dated, twentysome years later.

If anyone's a real die hard Gibson fan, the lyrics to Sonic Youth's album Daydream Nation are crammed with references to characters and places in Gibson stories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.