main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Any one interested in costuming?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by navarre1095, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Yes, it's true. I'm a 45-year-old nerd who likes to play dressup. Members in costume are a great way to attract attention to the club. Is anyone else intersted in getting a costuming group together? Imps? Rebels? Dirty-Bathrobe-Jedi-Guys? Handmaidens?

Would anyone be interested in putting together a squad of RFT's, Vanguards,or Commandoes?

2. jediravenclaw

jediravenclaw Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004
    This idea HAD to surface RIGHT before I leave for a semester in England...didn't it??

In a word: yes....yes I'm very interested. I'll costume anything so long as it's with fabric (aka, I've never done armor or anything)...

if others are interested, keep me updated on how this evolves and when I get back I'll be right there with you guys!!!!

P.S. handmaidens eh? you know, I tried to make the fire colored dress from ep I but failed miserably....but that was before I knew how to sew or dye very well. silly me trying to dye a fabric that was 40% polyester ;) oops.

3. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    Going to Harlaxton or Hogwarts?

4. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
  5. yoda_pimp

yoda_pimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    Yes, I am interested also. I am trying to figure out if I can pull something together for CIV.

6. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    "yes" to Harlaxton, Hogwarts, or costuming?

7. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    Here's a FanForce that takes their costumes very seriously.
    http://www.sunriderbase.com/board/

8. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    Once you get armor, you never go back. :)

I have a few new projects in the works right now, one being my Imperial officer (black). I have everything but the tunic and pants. I wear the hat when I play Empire at War because I am a big dork.

The other idea I've tossed around is doing "average guy" costumes; just clothes like you would see in the background of the Original Trillogy. Pants, shirts, belts, etc. Really, the boots are the worst part if they cost a lot. They wouldn't be hard if you have some skill with the sewing machine.

If anyone has questions about some really serious costumes (aka Armor) let me know. You can never have too many Stormtroopers running around.

9. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    "Serious costumes"? Allmighty smug fer a buncha fellers that got they butts whooped by a buncha teddy bears with sticks and rocks. Boy howdy, Paddington, Ruxpin, and Pooh tanned yore hides real goodlike!

More stormies is always a good idea. The basic armour kit can be had for $599 but don't even consider Ebay. I'm starting work on an Imperial Officer. If anyone is considering getting an accurate trooper kit, I'm available to help you put it together. I can definitely help those that want Sintra armour.

10. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    I'm wanted to make a Hoth Leia for the Wife and could use some help with that. The Endor Rebel helmet is also something I want as you know. :cool:

It would be a good idea if we could have an "Armor day" and include all types of costumes. Something to talk about at the meetings.

11. yoda_pimp

Jun 18, 2002
    I think I have narrowed it down to Han Bespin (which can be easily converted to the Han Endor outfit) and a Endor Rebel Trooper. If I feel like packing that much to CIV I might do both. I just know that I will be coming back with a heck of a lot more than what I left with.

12. HoosierTrooper

Aug 1, 2006
    We don't talk about the Endor incident... [face_shhh]

If anyone does get trooper armor, its best to have some help so make sure you get with Chuck. Its not that hard, but it can take some time and extra hands. Pulling all of those pieces out of the box for the first time is daunting. Sizing it can be a bit tricky by yourself.

Nothing attracts attention like armor... if you want a more comfortable set up, there are always scout troopers and the like. A bit cheaper too! :cool:

Nathan, remember that biker scout from CIII? [face_cowboy]

13. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    ref biker scout armor,

for me the tricky part about this,
    is getting what is sometimes called, "the cummerbund"
    to look good and be a good fit,
    for now, I am finding this to be a challenge.

it can also be the part of that armor,
    that just a little lack of exercise and/or
    10 extra pounds in the wrong place,
    can make you grow (?)
    out of it quickly, or before ya know it:)

14. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    Apparently, I suck
    http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/25704905/p1/?5

15. HoosierTrooper

Aug 1, 2006
    Bad snaps?! How do you sleep at night? ;)

16. yoda_pimp

Jun 18, 2002
    they just have snap envy.

17. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    What she doesn't know is that I sent my donut down to the guy who's making Sunrider Base's donuts. He used mine and Deralis's version to make his molds from.

18. jediravenclaw

jediravenclaw Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004
    lol...you know, what I can't stand is when people don't realise that the movie versions are NOT the only "correct" versions of costumes. I mean...it's one thing if you are trying to perfectly replicate one of Amidala's gowns...but if you are going generic rebel trooper, generic jedi, etc etc etc, it is the tiny differences between people's outfits that make them authentic.

I like the Pirates skull - very nice touch ^_^. But as for the snaps...it MIGHT not be EXACTLY like what Luke wore (I don't have any refs here btw) but who knows, maybe the troopers on Endor had a different version of the helmet. Yours could be more accurate than that other persons...from the right point of view... :)

19. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    It totally sucks that you're leaving basically right at this moment. Your sewing expertice would be invaluable would very helpful about now with C4 coming up.

20. Mike-El

Mike-El Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2006
    I'd still like to try a Dark Trooper costume. How I could pull it off I don't have a clue.

21. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    Commando backpacks for CHEAP!!! Get 'em now!!
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=295749

22. HoosierTrooper

Aug 1, 2006
    That would be amazing. To do it, we would have to have a sculpter for the molds, and either a vacuumform machine or fiberglassing skill. I have none of those. Still, you can check out some of the process here.

Hey Chuck! Build us a vac table will ya! :-B

23. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    Some day I plan to build one. I cannot take my skills to the next level without one.

24. Darth_TKD

Darth_TKD Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2002
    I'm also afraid to ask: what is a vac table, and how much work is there in building one? Is this the same as a vacuform machine?

Either way, I'm thinking it adds up to a "Poor Jennifer."

:D

25. HoosierTrooper

Aug 1, 2006
    Yes, they are the same thing.

If I had one, I would never come out of the garage. Well, except to show off all my cool costumes. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.