main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any other Anakins out there?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DanakinSkywalker, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    I was wondering if there was any other Anakin costumers out there.
    For those that are unfamiliar with me, my name is Dan and I've been costuming as Anakin Skywalker since July '03. Here are a couple pics of my first incarnation:
    [image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jedidan/cc03501darth.JPG]
    [image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jedidan/cc03501maul.JPG]
    Now I had a great time then, but a few things bothered me about that costume (besides the fit and fabric ;)), the brown color and the size of the tabbards. Between then and October I had those things changed and came up with my Anakin V.2:
    [image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/vegas1/vcc03d2-25.jpg]
    I wore this improved version to the Las Vegas Comic Con with a full robe and a glove, making it a Clone Wars (Dark Horse comics) version:
    [image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/vegas1/vcc03d2-19.jpg]
    Even then the costume wasn't perfect, not by far. But regardless I had a lot of great times in it.

Now I am working on an Episode III Anakin costume, this time with accuracy in mind. I'll keep everyone updated (most likely in the EP3 Anakin thread) with that progress.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a few pictures of mine and see if anyone else does the costume of the chosen one.

2. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Hey I know you! I saw you at Comic Con!

3. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    Hey! I saw you too. Rock on.

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Guess my boyfriend is an Anakin. I created his costume for Halloween 2002, nowhere near as good as yours though. My creations
    There is the costumes I've created. He's the dorky guy with me.

5. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    Not bad at all, nice Padme costumes too!

Come on Primrodo, I know you're out there... ;).

6. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Heh :p I'm not anakin yet ;)

I will have my belt and tabards this next week, then I'm starting hardcore fabric hunting and saving for the boots and saber ;)

7. Mandalorian-Warriors

Mandalorian-Warriors Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2003
    Dan,

You look too much like the real Anakin!

Awesome job on all your versions of Ani.. I mean Anakin :D

8. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    Thanks man.

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    It's true, Danakin. You really look like him. It's awesome. :)

10. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Great costumes dude and I agree, you really do look like him...from the hair to the pouty expression! :p LOL Love the boots!!!! They're exactly like the originals...did you make them or buy???

11. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    Wow, thanks everybody. The boots are from Motor Cowboy, I definitely didn't make 'em myself :D.

12. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Heh, Primrodo is not around, but I can tell you that while the MC boots are pretty nice, when you start to look at all the details you can see where it could be improved.

I compared the MC boots to ones that Primrodo had custom made for him and it was like looking at the difference between the real prop and the Rubies version!

The scary part is he sold those boots to someone else because he is getting them remade even closer!

13. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    Yeah, I've heard people tearing my VERY expensive boots apart several times before. Only 2 or 3 people are ever going to know the difference. Besides that, they make me happy and that's all that matters.

And the remark comparing my boots to a Rubies version was very uncalled for.

14. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    He he...its funny what looks great to a non-costumer can be not so good to a perfectionist! I am so very glad that I don't costume myself!!! I'd rather give people ideas than be picked on! LOL :D :p

If it's any consolation Danakin I like them!!! LOL :D

15. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Danakin - I think you need to relax a second man

1 - Woofer was not calling your boots cheap - only inaccurate. The Rubies thing was an analogy. It is kind of like comparing a Parks Graflex to a Real Graflex - while his is nice - if you put the 2 side by side you can start to see some of the "tells" that make them 2 different pieces - trust me on this 1 there are some things that are different. Does that mean I like my Parks any less than my Real Graflex - no not at all and only the true die hard saber enthusiasts will ever know the differences.

2 - Just because your boots are expensive doesn't make them the end all of the design. Hell I had considered getting a pair till I saw Primrodo's up close and in hand.....then I changed my tune. I am glad you like them because, to tell you the truth, I have not heard a great many positive things about the MC boots in general. I am going to need some custom boots for my next costume and I will probably see if they can help me out at all once I send the design out for quote.

Listen - I personally think you owe Woofer an apology - but that is just me. I really don't think he meant to rip your boots apart - he was just making an observation.

Anyways - just my 2 cents

Dave

16. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    I just don't see the point in pointing out other costumers flaws when they know they exist. My costume's a piece of crap, but it worked at the time. I never said the boots were accurate, but for paying nearly $400 for something that's a great deal more accurate than $12 Wal-Mart boots I don't need to hear how they are 'like a Rubie's compared to a screen used prop'. You three are the only ones ever to comment on them negatively. Once is ok, but hearing it over and over is quite annoying.

This thread was meant to discuss your experiences costuming as Anakin Skywalker. Not to brag about how someone else's costume is so much better than another's. Let's try it again.

17. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Actually - we are the only ones here to comment negatively on them - if you frequent a few other prop boards you will see that a lot of people share the same view.

I guess where my problem comes in is that you say in some threads that you want a Super Accurate Anakin Costume then in other threads you say that you will settle with inaccurate as long as you are happy.

Criticism may sound negative but it does help to make Super Accurate Costumes in the end. I can't tell you how many times I have torn a costume piece apart to make sure it was right. The Anakin Buckles that I have are a prime example - I talked to tons of different people to make sure I got the right size and while doing that I realized that the belts were a different size than what everyone thought. The Anakin Grips are another example - I spent 6 months designing and tweaking them before I was finally happy with the product and satisfied that I now have a very accurate piece.

Like I said - I don't think it was meant as a bash - just a criticism to help you make a better costume. Same with my post - I was just trying to make sure you saw that people are trying to help you not tear you down.

Dave

18. davenwjedi

davenwjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2002
    this is my work in progess anakin Ep 2....

Primrodo and i have been picking the actual costume apart now since the movie came out !!! ugh...

[image=http://home.comcast.net/~cfprez/nwjedidave.jpg]

waiting on the boots, and more accurate cloak fabric... (right Primrodo? lol)

NWJEDI
    dave

19. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    Lookin' really nice there, davenwjedi!

20. davenwjedi

davenwjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2002
    thx bro

NWJEDI
    dave