1. Attention Guest.

This region will undergo restructuring. For more information regarding this process, please visit this thread

Any other costumers around here?

Discussion in 'Knoxville, TN' started by GregJ, Nov 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregJ Jedi Padawan

I was wondering, are there any costumers around here? It would be cool to meet up & do appearances in local parades, visit childrens' hospitals, charity work, that sort of thing. Anyone interested in doing this?

I worked for 3 months on my Tusken Raider suit, it's a shame to wear it only at Dragon Con & on Halloween. I was at Michael's in 'Tusken mode' this Halloween, by the way. Got a lot of compliments, & a whole bunch of people yelled 'Star Wars!' at me. They knew I was from Star Wars, but only two people knew my species was Tusken Raider.

2. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    I am very slowly working on one but it will take time and $$$ to do it right. One of our members is finished or still working on (can't remember which) and Obi Wan. That's about it right now but our group is still young and more costumers will likely emerge.

Please come to the next meeting if you can make it. I'd love to talk with you and learn some things about costuming I'm sure.
  3. Bama_Trooper Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey Gregj,

The 501st Legion has a few members in or around Knoxville! The Legion is broken down into smaller units and the one for Tn is part of the "Southern Outpost" You can check us out at www.501stso.com

We're still getting organized in the region but we do have some costumers up that way and we are planning on a big attendance at AdventureCon in June, so give me a shout if your interested in joining up with the 'real good guys'!

Joey
    TK-152
    Southern Outpost
    501st Legion
    bamatrooper[--at--]mail.com
  4. TanthosJorlac Jedi Knight

Greetings all! Tanthos Jorlac here from Mosheim, TN. You asked about if there were any costumers from around here? I am the founder of The Jedi Assembly costuming group. We currently have around 40 some members and have a very active message board on our website. I know that I can't make the December meeting, but I hope that I can make some of your meetings this next year. I know that I would love to make appearances at charities, hospitals, etc in the near future. Feel free to visit the Assembly website at
    www.TheJediAssembly.com
    and feel free to drop me a line at
    Tanthos_Jorlac@thejediassembly.com anytime.
    May the Force be with you!
    Tanthos Jorlac
  5. Bama_Trooper Jedi Knight

star 1
    ??What?? Jedi in this sector!

Probe droids are away !!!
  6. Lighthammer72 Force Ghost

"Bama" trooper, huh? You got a lotta nerve postin around these parts, sonny boy. :p
  7. tionnesharp Jedi Knight

star 1
    Tanthos, where the heck is Moshiem? E, W, or central TN? Your group sounds interesting.

Good lord! I just looked up your website. You're in Greene Co? I'M a Greene from Hancock Co. (Well, once or twice removed.) It's a small, small world. If you still plan the meet in Indy next year, keep me informed! I've family in SW Ohio. Your site just might get me motivated to start sewing for 2005. Lord knows I need the extra time...I'm really slow!
  8. TanthosJorlac Jedi Knight

Mosheim is about an hour away from Knoxville. About 20 min away from Morristown. I appreciate you checking my website out. I hope that I will be able to do some things with the Knoxville FanForce and meet all those who post here.
  9. Padawan519 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've got an Obi-Wan costume that's a work in progress....Let me know if you need help.
  10. Bama_Trooper Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey Lighthammer72,

I would think that after this season, Bama owns that area! :eek:

My favorate football Quote:

" You can't spell outback bowl without U T !"
    - Steve Spurrier

Actually I am an Auburn man myself, so we do share a common foe!

-TK-152, out
  11. TanthosJorlac Jedi Knight

I'm sorry.......I thought this was a costuming thread. I had hoped that we would be able to get some costumers together and make some appearances!
  12. Padawan519 Jedi Knight

star 1
    It is a costuming thread, but we reserve the right to digress from the subject to defend our turf from Bama folk ;)
  13. Lighthammer72 Force Ghost

Atta boy, Chad! Bama Trooper's ok, though. He's a War Eagle, not affiliated with the evil Crimson Guar--uh, Tide.

I wonder if anyone's ever done up a set of stormie armor in bright orange? I've seen a black one, a red one, a star-spangled one, but never an orange one. If I didn't think I'd get Wild Turkey spilled all over it, I'd love to wear somethin like that to one of the games. By the way, I wasn't tryin to hijack the thread, Tanthos. I can't believe you live in TN. I've been checking out the Jedi Assembly costuming link section for almost a year now. That's how I found the Dewback Wing, that's how I got started on my lightsabers, that's how I got wind of the RPF. Thanks, man.
  14. TanthosJorlac Jedi Knight

Oh, I wasn't trying to be THAT serious and scold those who talk of sports here in this thread. I was just being droll......:)
    I think it's very cool you've been a fan of the Assembly LightHammer72 for awhile! We are continuing to grow and the website just keeps changing everyday. In fact, i've got to work on it this afternoon. As far as costuming get-togethers........me and one other person from the Assembly are the only ones from TN. If there were to be a costuming gathering for WHATEVER reason, we would be the only 2 from the Assembly to come and represent us. But I also want to be able to consider my self a member of the Knoxville Star Wars FanForce.
  15. skip1 Force Ghost

star 3
    for what its worth,there are now around 5 501st members in and around knoxville.
    you guys have a tusken, a couple of biker scouts and a couple of troopers.

many more will be invading next summer at adventure-con.
  16. TanthosJorlac Jedi Knight

I hope that I can get some other Assembly members from the other states to attend AdCon 2003.
    Back to the topic............what kind of costuming outings can be planned for 2003?
  17. jedicharlie57 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have a suggestion for an annual charity event in the Fall: The Light the Night Walk for Leukemia/Cancer Society. I took part this past Sept. while working in California, and it's a really good set-up. It's close enough to Halloween that other walkers won't freak out (too much) and the idea is to raise money amongst yourselves and earn a lighted balloon for the walk. With a bunch of SW costumes, what better way to advertise yourself (and community involvement), esp. with media presence. Plus lightsabers, duh, skip the balloons! The walk is usually about 1.5 to 2 miles, happens around Sept/Oct (check for your area), and it's at night, so it will be decent temperatures for costumers.
    I'll be setting this up for my group, too, in ALABAMA. The Star Wars Syndicate is going to make Ad-Con, too, so we'll look for y'all there! (Joey, I really need to get working on an officer uniform....)
  18. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd like to try and set something up for the FF chapter at adventure con as well. We have a vinyl banner that FF chapters can use at cons and I figure I'll request it for adventure con and use it at the table.

The con has a costume contest as far as I know, so if there are enough Star Wars costumers going down there it might be worthwhile to have a Star Wars category for it.

What do you guys think?
  19. skip1 Force Ghost

star 3
    for anyone that missed it,this past adventure con had only 3 people in the costume contest.while i agree with jarjar about having a starwars segment i doubt that they will worry about that since they had so few participants last time.

its also hard to have a costume contest with the 501st troopers there.when we did a costume contest at the EP2 premeire in may all the people who came were more interested in the trooper costumes and not the people that were in the contest.
    with the great celeb. lineup and all the people on the various boards talking it up this next adventure con looks to be great.i know ill be there!
  20. TanthosJorlac Jedi Knight

I actually arrived at AdCon 1 last year with my Jedi costume. But when I went in, no one was in costume. I WAS going to enter in the costume contest, but didn't due to no one else participating. I think this year will be different. I think more people will show in costume and IF they have a costume contest this next time, it will be great!! I want to come as a Knoxville, TN FanForce member AND be able to represent The Jedi Assembly.
  21. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    I was planning to attend last year, but I decided against it. It was supposed to be the place that the first FF meeting was to take place at, but unfortunately the situation did not allow for it.

In a lot of ways, I wish that we had started back in February-March of this year. I definitely would have put out flyers at Carmike when I was in line for Episode 2 and Ad Con would have been a great opportunity as well. There's nothing that can be done about that now, but we can still grow if the interest is there and we advertise ourselves.
  22. jedicharlie57 Jedi Knight

star 1
    An addendum to my first post.... the American Cancer Society has a similar fundraiser in the Springtime called Relay for Life. Each city has its own event, so the dates vary, but most, I'm finding, are before Ad-Con. This can be a good way to get together before the Con, and do your own PR for new members. They encouarage teams to do "themes," or you can be part of the entertainment to enhance the event. Trivia losers taken to jail by a Stormtrooper, lightsaber demonstrations or classes, skits, whatever blows your blaster.
  23. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    I am aware of the relay for life, but I wasn't aware of the costuming part. It does sound like a great way to raise money for a charity and raise interest in their event, but as I said before I don't have a costume to wear for it. This is where that group costume idea that Rod had would come in handy.

If we pooled up the cash and knew someone that who had some expertise at this, then we'd be in business.
  24. jedicharlie57 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Welllll, sure it would be more fun with more costumers, but it's not necessary. You'd still be "Team Star Wars" and that alone will get plenty of attention; you'll get lots of questions and potential new members. If you don't do a fundraiser in particular, you could get your group together and charge every member with raising, say, $10. It's not so bad asking someone to give a $1 (or more) for the ACS; bosses, co-workers, family,etc. Some of your group may just donate the $10 themselves so they don't have to ask anybody. Or, take advantage of the Sports rivalries there- bag groceries for a day for "tips" and people can put their money in the bucket for their fave-team, knowing it all goes to the ACS. Local news loves that stuff, you might even get news personalities to do it with you. End of the day the news reports which "team" showed the most spirit, and your club gets the benefit of some PR as well.
  25. GregJ Jedi Padawan

Greetings to all! Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here, but I work at a 'Big Lots' store, & it's been super hectic. Just haven't had the time or been too exhausted to post. Now that the holidays are over, I'd like to get back into the mix with all of ya!

As I said, I have a Tusken Raider costume. In a matter of days I will have a Jedi costume as well. A seamstress in Georgia is sewing it up for me (I don't sew). My costume will be similar to Ben Kenobi's from ANH, with the floor length tunic. I could use some help building a lightsaber hilt to wear on my belt, if anyone's interested.

Write me at: GregJarnigan@webtv.net for a quick response.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.