PT Any other Padmè fan feel Portman was miscast or recast after all this time?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lady_Skywalker87, Feb 16, 2014.

Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
  1. PiettsHat Force Ghost

star 4

Umm…I'm not gauging her acting based on Star Wars. Did you see that list of of films of hers I posted? The Star Wars PT wasn't even the first set I films I even saw her in. I'm saying that, of all the roles I've seen Natalie play, her performance as Padmé is the most convincing to me and my favorite. I don't think she does nearly as good of a job in any of the other films I listed.

Like you, I really enjoy Ewan McGregor's performance as Obi-Wan and I also think that he's done better work. But that's not true for Portman -- I don't feel she's done better work than her role as Padmé. I've seen her in roles that supposedly show what she is capable of -- like Closer and Black Swan -- and I honestly found her performance as Padmé more convincing and enjoyable.

I don't feel I've been unfair to her. It's just my opinion of her skill as an actress. It would be unfair if I never saw any of her other films but that is not the case at all.
    Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  2. Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    That first paragraph was part my second to last reply. It's just that you posted before I posted the edit and I decided to put it in another reply. :p
  3. bigtukker Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    No, I loved Padmé (especially in Episode II when I first watched Star Wars). I couldn't care about her acting skills. She was definitely my first celeb crush and is still one of my favorite characters, including the way she's portrayed.
    Last edited by bigtukker, Feb 20, 2014
  4. IBYM Jedi Master

star 1
    Let's not forget that she's also smokin' hot.
  5. Garrett Atkins Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    She was good in TPM, AOTC (barring all romance), flat most of ROTS (but OK at times).
  6. Among the Clouds Force Ghost

star 4
    I think if anything, she may have been a bit young. Now, I know full well that she was supposed to be young. But I also feel that NP has become a much better actress with age, and if the films were done a few years later with her in the same part, she would've been better too. That being said, in an odd way, I liked Padme better in TPM. It almost seems as if she regressed in terms of her character as the films progressed. She was still assertive and strong in AOTC for the most part, but I feel as if she could have been utilized a bit better. The way she was against falling for Anakin and then all of a sudden changed her mind felt odd, but I suppose you could argue it didn't matter anymore if she felt she was about to die in the arena. Then in ROTS, she was basically just around so that Anakin could turn to the dark side. Her performance was even a bit tired, and her dialogue a bit forced and damsel-in-distress like. Of course, she was portrayed as a fighter in the other films, so it felt quite out of place. I'm sure some of this could be attributed to GL's direction. But I liken NP to Harrison Ford in ROTJ. He simply wasn't all there as an actor the way he was in the previous two films.
  7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Chosen One

star 4
    To me, she looked like she wasn't that much into the role. In fact, some times she looked like she was just moping around — at least in TPM she did.
  8. Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I had no problems with Portman. One thing about when she was queen, she was wearing those crazy outfits with large head pieces that restricted her movement. It was hard to move around in and would definitely affect her performance. When she was Padme, you saw more movement, more life from her. She didn't have those restrictions and could be more mobile and free with her performance.
    TX-20 and DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR like this.
  9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Chosen One

star 4
    True. I also felt that the whole decoy queen charade hurt her performance, too, considering she had to hide the fact that she wasn't the same person.
    Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  10. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4

I noticed that, as well, when I first saw TPM.
  11. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
  12. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I thought her low point was the fireside scene in AOTC. High water mark was certainly her conversation with Obi-Wan before they head to Mustafar - that was brilliant, on both Natalie and Ewan's parts.

Overall, I think she was very solid and a good fit for the part.
    Iron_lord likes this.
  13. SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Knight

star 1
    Think she was a great charecter. Cant see her being someone else.

thought... not as great as leia [face_liarliar]
Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785