main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any 'Real' Japanese here?

Discussion in 'Archive: Japan' started by Darth_Destructo, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    I mean, seriously. [face_plain]

2. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Dunno, I last came here a year ago and it's still as quiet.

3. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    That's really weird.

I know that there are loads of Japanese Star Wars fans... I wonder if the language is the barrier?

4. hari

hari Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    language is the barrier? > I believe so.

5. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    The last time I contacted a Japanese Trooper, she uses the Internet Translator to read and answer my e-mails. :eek:

6. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    I'm going to Japan and was just wondering if I could hook up with any Japanese chic... er fans. :p

7. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    I have been looking in on this board for the last two years or so, and not once has a Japanese person posted here to my knowlegde. Could be the language barrier.

8. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Now I know who i'm gonna make to do some shopping for me in Japan . . . :D

9. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Nice try, but it's a business trip. ;)

10. Flipmaster_Yoda

Flipmaster_Yoda Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    nihongo o hanaseru yo!

11. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I don't think a language barrier is the problem. They probably know English better than we do. ;)[/color]

12. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    From a certain point of view! ;)

Anyway, Japanese is still the main language used in Japan for education, work, life etc etc. Probably those who must do more internation related things/work will know English well but the other 1/3+/- may not.

Aiyah! What different does it make to other countries? [face_laugh] Some even have its own English Language created from the local languages (heard of Singlish? :D )

13. leina-kirari

leina-kirari Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2002
    Surprise!
    I am a 'real' Japanese living in Japan.
    I just wanted to say hi and let you know 'real' Japanese are reading these threads. Or is it just me? ;)

14. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    It might just be you Leina-kirari! :p

So how's the SW situation in Japan? Really starting to bite my fingers on seeing so many AOTC stuffs poping in Japan and so much SW related event being organized there and attended by the Stormtrooper Garrison Members there.

15. leina-kirari

Jul 21, 2002
    konnichiwa, Darth_Eagle!

I just started my trainigs as a padawan learner, so please bear with me for not knowing all the ATOC stuff going on here in Japan. [face_blush]
    But I AM aware of the Pepsi and 7/11 campaigns, and I've got myself a can and a bottle cap of obi-wan.
    (I should get more of those, huh?)
    I hope I can get a set of 7/11's cards. Those looked pretty neat.

The one above was my 1st meassage ever to post in English. (Boy, it took me a lot of courage. Seriously.)
    Yes, the language is the barrier for most of the Japanese, 'coz we don't need to speak anything else but Japanese within the country
    and we are just not good at learning other languages, I guess.
    We've got to do something about it!
    We are missing all the fun going globally in English. :_|

16. Nwalme Jade

Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2000
    Wow.. I've met some japanese ppl in drawing boards, and they were not as fluent as you :eek: you're doing great!

17. SatMax

SatMax Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2002
    I'm not Japanese, but I have been living/working in Japan for the last 6 years.

I live in Okinawa, and there really isn't too much of a Star Wars presence here. I've been to the local Toys R Us, and they have the same stuff we have in the US except for a few toys put out by TOMY that I had picked up. 1 is Anakin's Lightsaber that looks similar to the electronic one with the extending blue plastic blade except the TOMY saber is chrome with lights on the hilt as well, it's A LOT better looking than the other saber EXCEPT during the sounds, Darth Vader speaks... which I don't find all that cool.. 2, is the Darth Vader Chamber game... Remember the chamber Vader sat in in ESB on the Star Destroyer when Admiral Veers told Vader about coming out of lightspeed too close, yadda yadda? The Japanese have made it into a game. There's the chamber, put a small chubby Darth Vader on top, push down, and now you and a buddy take turns at thrusting lightsabers into the chamber. The saber that hits Darth Vader makes Vader jump out at you.

I have been quite busy collecting the Pepsi bottle caps, and so far I have not had any duplicates! (knock on wood) I will be getting several of the mail in offers for the various episode stages and the large Episode 2 Geonasis (sp? forgot) stage for the current bottlecaps.

Perhaps if I collect more and more dupes, I'll offer them for sale...

18. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    ?±?Ì?{?[?h?Í?¿?å?Á?Æ?_???Ë?B

????X?æ?è

19. DAKAI_SERAKI

DAKAI_SERAKI Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    I'm japanese, but i live in canada, I'm learning a bit of japanese from my mom (the japanese side of the family, I'm half pinoy, too).

20. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think it's pretty obvoius that there aren't.

21. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    Leina-kirari, may I compliment you on your excellent English? I have been teaching English in Japan for about 4 months now, and I haven't met a single person in the whole country with English as good as yours. Were you brought up in an English-speaking household?

I kid you not, when I say that nobody here talks like that, unless they've got some pretty major native-speaker influence around.

Please, what's your secret? It's all I can do to even get across the very basics of the language to students who have been studying for years and years- if you've got some advice for a new teacher, I'd love to hear it!

22. leina-kirari

Jul 21, 2002
    Nwalme Jade and Whimper, thank you very much for your compliments. You don't know how much they meant for me.
    Thanks again. ;)

As you have guessed, Whimper, yes I've had some native-speaker influence on me.
    I've spent 3yrs in the US studying at college.
    It's been a long time since I came back to Japan and not having chances to speak, my English went downhill. OMG :_|
    You know, if you don't use it, you'll lose it.
    I'm trying hard to get it back now.

Do you teach English to adults?
    I'm not sure if I could give you a tip, but I'd be happy to tell you about my learning experience.
    Let me know if you're interested. :)

23. Whimper

May 11, 1999
    I'm teaching quite a range of people actually. I spend my most time teaching junior high school students, although I also teach elementary school and preschool as well. Once a week I have a two-hour class for adults. I would love it if you would share your experiences with us!

24. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    Do the toilets in Japan really flush counter-clock-wise?

25. Whimper

May 11, 1999
    No. Water drains clockwise here, just like it does everywhere else in the northern hemisphere. Water drains counter-clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

But this question isn't really valid anyway for 2 reasons:

1. More than half of all toilets in Japan are Japanese style. No seat squatters on the floor. There isn't a pool of water sitting in those to spin, clockwise or otherwise. The water just flushes straight ahead, from the front to the back.

2. The rest of the toilets here are these space-aged contraptions with heated seats, music, nature sounds, blinking lights, and bidets. I wouldn't be surprised if the water in those did some fancy dance, before going down in whatever darn direction it pleased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.