main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any speculation on if and how "Jimmy" will come back? (SPOILERS!!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by andur_black, Nov 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andur_black

andur_black Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2001
    I'm curious to know if anyone thinks "Jimmy" will come back or not. I'll give my opinion after I finish SBS.

2. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    In all my mindless optimism, i was thinking about this a lot lately. though i haven't, how would you say it?, 'read' Star By Star yet, (i'm at college and i'm poor and the school book store doesn't have its priorities straight) i figured i've gotten the gist of what happens. So i've come up with a few things to bring him back.

Since MS made D'arshacor disappear, it seems ridiculous that someone like Jimmy would not disappear. I was perhaps thinking that MAYBE he just left his body. . . becoming one with the Force but not because of death. Perhaps the way that Luke was in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. Granted, this would be silly. But it is possible. I think Jimmy broke through on some new kinda Force use. I think he'll be back, especially if there is still a body. Did they destroy the body? That i don't know. . . and if anyone could fill me in on that, it'd be great and much appreciated. But as i see it, opening himself up to the Force as he did is an extremely significant thing, and in the NJO we had charted Anakin's growth personally and in the Force more than any other character. I think this will just be one more step in his growth, but maybe thats just my mindless optimism.

3. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    Will he come back? Probably; but I doubt he'll be the same as before.

4. Dark_Jedi_Skywalker

Dark_Jedi_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2001
    Yeah, he'll be a lot different, I'm thinking less talkative, less action, less emotion, but much more dead.

5. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
  6. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
  7. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I am leaning to the thought that he may not be dead. He may have just sliped into a healing trance so deep that it felt like he left the force. Causing those close to him to think he died. They made a big deal about him needing a healing trance during the mission.

Of course he could just be dead and will stay that way too.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I still want him to be a Vong Dark Jedi. Then, maybe later, he and Jaina can have a showdown a la Gav and Jori Daragon 5000 years earlier.

9. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    HE COULD LIVE! It just might not last...

Taken form an Earlier post of mine on the biggest SBS spolers thread;

(INT. the Team's shuttle. Tahiri is still sitting next to the body, talking.)
    Tahiri: "It was that time we were on Tatooine, and I was keeping watch while you slept. So, um, well, I was really bored so I looked into your sleeping bag and..."
    (Enter Jaina)
    Jaina: "Tahiri, we have to dump that body out an airlock."
    Tahiri: "What?! No!"
    Jaina: "It's still three days until we reach a port - that thing is going to suffocate us!"
    Tahiri: "But... but..."
    Jaina: "It's time. Anakin wouldn't want you obsessing like this. Or throwing up every ten minutes from the stench..."
    Tahiri: "Snff... okay."

(Int. Airlock)
    Jacen: "Goodbye, little brother..." (blows the airlock and the body goes rushing out)
    Tahiri (watching it float away through a viewport): "Bye, Anakin..."
    (The corpse's eyes suddenly pop open. He tries to rip out of the burial husk and scream. But in space, no one can hear you scream...)
    Tahiri: "AAH! JACEN, JAINA, he's not dead!"
    Jaina (not at the window): "Look, just get over it, okay? We're all hurting, but..."
    Tahiri: "LOOK!"
    Jacen (looking): "HOLY HELL! JAINA, WE HAVE TO RETRIEVE-"
    (Anakin suddenly turns into a a bloody pulp on the side of the Millenium Falcon as it drops out of hyperspace.)
    Tahiri: "A... Anakin..."
    Han (over comm): "Hey, kids! I'm here to rescue yo-" (sees bloodstain on his ship) "Um... whoops."
    Jaina: (slaps her own head)

10. Reswonr

Reswonr Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2001
    I was devastated by Jimmy's (BTW, I find that amusing. I applaud the creator) death. I went looking for other opinions here, and found them.
    I didn't want Anakin to die, but I think it'd be kind of cheap if he came back. My favorite explanation here is from Protege-of-Thrawn, with his theory about Jaina using Sith sorcery to bring Anakin around. It makes perfect sense to me, and I think the writers should us it; I doubt they will. I have only one problem with that hypothesis, though: I don't think Anakin would be Jaina's apprentice, I don't think Anakin would be truly evil at all. He'd be a mediator, a fulcrum between Jaina and Jacen.

11. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    They might try to make him evil, but I don't think they'd suceed. He's in luv, after all... [face_love]

12. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    There seems to be opinions that Vergere's tears could bring Jimmy back.

I think that's fairly preposterous but who knows? This could be the biggest comeback since Lazarus :D

13. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    That Anakin didn't fade proves that he wasn't as deep into the Force as a true Jedi Master, nothing more. He may have been strong in the Force, he might have died well, but he didn't love and respect and understand the Force like a true Jedi Master does.

He's got a ruptured spleen. Massive internal bleeding. Heavy loss of blood. Wounded at least more four times during his final fight, including a crippling slash to the thigh. Most of his cells have exploded. His soul faded back into the Force.

This reminds me of a scene in Red Dwarf.

LISTER: Where is everybody, Hol?

LISTER sticks his finger in one of the piles of white powder and tastes
    it.

HOLLY: They're dead, Dave.
    LISTER: Who is?
    HOLLY: Everybody, Dave.
    LISTER: What, Captain Hollister?
    HOLLY: Everybody's dead, Dave.
    LISTER: What, Todhunter?
    HOLLY: Everybody's dead, Dave.
    LISTER: What, Selby?
    HOLLY: They're all dead. Everybody's dead, Dave.

12 Int. Corridor.

LISTER is still trying to understand what HOLLY is saying.

LISTER: Petersen isn't, is he?
    HOLLY: Everybody is *dead*, Dave.
    LISTER: Not Chen?
    HOLLY: Gordon Bennett! Yes! Chen, everybody. Everybody's dead, Dave.
    LISTER: Rimmer?
    HOLLY: He's dead, Dave. Everybody's dead. Everybody is dead, Dave!
    LISTER: Wait. Are you trying to tell me everybody's dead?
    HOLLY: I wish I'd never let him out in the first place.

Sudstitute "Anakin" for "Everybody" and there you have it.

14. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    My thoughts exactly.

15. Kenix Kil

Kenix Kil Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2000
    I think one big thing about Jimmy's death is where he died. In the book it shows him chasing Nom Anor with a thermal detonator and then he collapses and it ends. He was doing that in a Vong cloning area. Since we know Nom Anor somehow survived the blast who is to say that he didnt get some kind of sample to clone a Jedi and teach his warriors how to fight them. I think it has to be more then a coinencedence(sp) that he dies in a cloning area.

16. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    (Nom Anor, standing in front of a shaping creche with a toothy grin on his face.)
    Nom Anor: "Aah... now, we will learn the true nature of the Jedi! From this corpse, we can-"
    Anakin (muffled, from inside creche): "I'm not dead yet!"
    Nom Anor: "What!? But the shapers said you were dead!"
    Anakin: "I'm feeling much better!"

17. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    LOL ShinigamiWing! (Got that sn from Gundam Wing, I suppose...?)

The points leading to him coming outweigh those that point to him as being dead. Quirks! Lots of them in his death!

But I've realized that no matter how much I want them to bring Anakin back, they have to do it GOOD. It's be awful if it was done like, "I am Darth Vong! ::evil laughter::" That'd be totally smooching off the OT, and the EU shouldn't do that to Anakin. It'd be interesting if they turned Anakin into a Jedi-Vong, and then let Anakin fool everyone into being evil, while actually sabatouging the Vong and helping the NR. It wouldn't be as clear cut as just having him an evil Jedi-Vong.

18. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Anakin is toast. He bit the big one. He croaked. He went to the big Jedi Academy in the sky. He?s no longer with us. He's electroencephalographically challenged. He?s gone. He?s no longer among the living. He?s dearly departed. He?s on ice. He?s on the other side. He passed away. He perished. He experienced critical hardware failure. Anakin has left the building. He?s no longer a live one. He?s a corpse.

He?s dead, Jim.

19. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    Lol, lots of ways to get your point across, huh? I know he's dead, there are just some things that really don't add up, and that's why I'm still hoping.

20. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    How about Jimmy bit the big one?

Other than Jimmy not disappearing (for which there are many reasonable explantions on both sides), what else doesn't "add up?"

21. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    anakins dead let him rest in peace.

22. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    Hmmm...you see, they're all really little quirks, and that's why I'm admittedly not very sure of myself. I'm hoping. But there are just too many that make it confusing.

Note, as always, this is all opinion; please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm just trying to express a few things that I believe don't add-up :)

First of all, Anakin is obviously in the makings of being an epic hero. The way that Chewbacca died for him, his whole trial in conquest, the meeting of Tahiri...it all points that way. In the "journey" of an epic hero, there is always a literal/metaphorical death. Luke's hand getting cut off was a metaphorical death, in Harry Potter (Goblet of Fire) there was the metaphorical death of his innocence, and I think at one point in the sumerian myth Gilgamesh, he went to the underworld. Odysseus was an epic hero, and he did go to the underworld--his literal death. Orpheus, etc... I mean to say, all epic hero's do either die literally, or something in them dies metaphorically.

The way that the NJO has been building up Anakin's character, I don't think it was just to kill him and effect us. It's like chess--you don't kill someone else's pawn JUST because its there, but if it's also strategically a good idea. Yeah, sure, they really did smack a bunch of people upside the heads with killing him, but somehow I don't think that they would go through such trouble. More likely, I think they've been building up Anakin's character only to lead up to Anakin's possible survival. Again, I could most definitely be wrong, but it's a quirk.

Then there's Ikrit's prophecy with Tahiri. I *REALLY* think that either Greg Keyes made a big mistake by putting this into Conquest, or there's something to it. The NJO authors planned all of the NJO arc before sitting down to write it--George Lucas LOOKED over the NJO arc and approved it. If it was a really sucky resurrection the authors were planning, I'm not sure Lucas would have approved. So anyway, Ikrit's prohecy was that Tahiri and Anakin would join to do great things. While explaining this to Anakin in Conquest, Ikrit said, "You could even--" then stopped himself before saying anything. This really makes me wonder on different levels.

First, why would Keyes do that, put the prophecy into the mainstream novels, if Anakin was going to die? If Anakin does stay dead, that leaves a subtle but major loose end. Tahiri and Anakin have not yet *had* the chance to "do great things" together, as Ikrit said.

Without Anakin, Tahiri becomes an expendable character. But I don't think that they'll kill her, even if Anakin does stay dead. Maybe to make the story more tragic, Romeo and Juliet style, they'll have her commit suicide, and as I've heard rumors about suicide in Dark Journey, Tahiri is probably the first to go. Someone before also made a parallel between Star by Star and Romeo & Juliet--you realize that that would imply that the originally dead lover of the two would really be alive. Anakin would be alive, and finding Tahiri dead, would have also committed suicide. I can't really see that happening in Star Wars though; not because it's not plausible, but just because...this is Star Wars. I wonder that maybe, if Tahiri does commit suicide, then she and Anakin can do something in death to help...? Their bond is abnormally strong, as has been pointed out.

And then there's Anakin's ability to sense the Vong completely right before his death, when he becomes one with the Force. I've had my own ideas and also heard other people voicing the idea that maybe Anakin managed to stay in the Force, alive, but like the Vong--he can't be sensed through the Force by other Jedi. I admit, this is very unlikely as I do believe Anakin to be, uh, well, deadish. With the amount of time it took for a Jedi to sense the Vong, and especially the way Anakin came to his conclusions make me believe that it will be hard for another Jedi to gain this ability. I'm not saying it won't happen--after all, Jacen is left with the Vong at the end of SbS and he does have ample opport

23. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    This Jedi has ceased to be! He is an ex-Jedi! :)

24. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    Oh, I myself have no real doubt that he's dead; the possibility of him coming back is what's getting to me. Two different things, Reaper...I agree he's an "ex-jedi" but the quirks to this may point to him not staying an "ex-jedi" :)

25. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    ReaperFett, you've said that in every thread on the subject; it was funny the first time. Now it's as dead as Anakin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.