main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any Star Wars Authors British?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Coonsan, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    That's the whose on first, whats on second one right?

With Today pitching, Tomorrow catching, I Don't Know on third, and I Don't Give A Darn playing shortstop.

2. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    It's funny. I saw "British" in the thread title, and just knew Doctor Who would be mentioned in here somewhere.

Doctor Who ROCKS!

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I spotted British "words" in City of Pearl, which started to ruffle me, though a year of nightly Doctor Who has gotten me acquainted with it. I despised Icarus Hunt saying "his voice lowered to a mid-novemeber chill." Perhaps in America, and that book was interstellar, not Earth based at all. Books should be written nationally neutral for worldwide readers.

It's no big deal, really, but a Brit will say bollocks which I presume is a mild exclamaton of sorts whereas an Aust or North American would say . . . I dunno, something Hollywoodish. I haven't read much Aust books---maybe because all those damn American books flood the domestic shelves! :p---but I've noted "we" tend to be more multicultural in our phrases, metaphors, etc. We won't mention november is hot summer here when lightyears away from space, but we'll sample Indian, Hebraic, Aztec, and Asian things offhandedly.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm happy to have the Queen on our money; anything that makes us less American has to be good. :p [face_flag]

Happy Australia Day!

ES

5. Bratty Jedi Master

Bratty Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 1, 1999
    You can listen to the Who's on First skit at the link I posted. There is a sound button on the left edge. I downloaded and saved it to my computer from there a while ago. The sound quality is pretty good. I don't know of anyplace to get free video of it. You have to buy a VHS/DVD for that.

Bratty

6. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Thats the one. Hardly any Aussies in it. Damn bunch of pansy Rugby boys :p

7. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    As a true blue Aussie fresh from celebrating Australia Day, and a MASSIVE Rugby fan (I'm 6'5") I might like to point out that in 1999 when Australia won the Rugby World Cup the only team to score a try against them in the whole tournament was... the USA. Take from that what you will

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    So...when you say massive...are you talking about your fanhood for rugby or yourself, here?
    We're so awesome that we'll kick ass at your sport even though no one at home gives a damn.

9. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    ^^^^
    Both. I make joke. Haha. <Ahem>. Ha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.