main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any Star Wars Toy Questions?

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by SkyJammer, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkyJammer

SkyJammer Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Howdy, Star Wars Toy collectors.

Because of ASM, I have been invited to the offices of a certain toy company in Pawtucket, RI. This upcoming Wednesday, I will be looking at toys for 2003 across many different lines.

I believe (but am not sure) that this will encompass Transformers, G.I. Joe, Zoids, Stikfas, and others.

Oh, yeah, Hasbro makes Star Wars toys, doesn't it? :)

Assuming that Star Wars figures are a part of this shindig and assuming that we get to ask questions of the Hasbro SW team (or other teams) -- any questions you guys have? I can't guarantee that I'll be able to ask any or all of them, since I don't know the exact format of the event. However, since I don't collect SW figures myself, I'd like to have some questions if the opportunity arises.

Either post them here or PM me. I'll need them by mid-day on Monday since I fly out Tuesday. I hopefully will have pictures from the event on ASM sometime Wednesday night.

-Phil

2. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Hey Phil--

This is a grand opportunity, to be sure. If the opportunity arises, could you see if they plan on re-releasing or releasing updated versions of other 3.75" scale vehicles from the original triolgy, such as the the Falcon or TIE fighter? I know the emphasis is on the AOTC stuff, but I want to know if I should try to pick up older vehices on EBAY (and the like) or if newer, flashier, goody-laden ones are going to be released. What can I say--I'm a vehicle freak.

Also, I'm curious as to how major chains get the rights to "exclusives". Were the rights to sell, say, the Dagobah X-Wing BID on by Toys R Us, or were they randomly assigned? That's something that I always wondered about, and maybe it's more of a marketing question, but I'd be curious to hear the answer.

Hope the trip goes well--have fun!

P.S.--Dwayne wants to know about Jedi Bonus Points, and just when the hell he can expect to be able to redeem them for something. Right, Dwayne?

3. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Sheesh, Phil. How do you get these gigs?

What kind of questions are you looking for? I mean, I have a ton of questions, but I don't think any of them are practical. You know, things like "What were you thinking putting Storm Shadow in white camoflauge? Didn't you think he would look too much like Firefly?" Somehow I don't think that's what you're looking for. How about "Re-issued StarScream for $35? Are you nuts?" (Dwayne, why didn't you tell me?)

As for the Star Wars angle, I collected all of the MicroMachine Head/dioramas. Well that was a terrible description. Those of you who have been to my place know what I'm talking about. Those six to seven inch tall mini-bust like things that open up to reveal a scene from Star Wars. Only two were issued for TPM. They were a battle droid head with the Federation Ship hangar bay action diorama (can there be such thing as an action diorama? Or are dioramas, by definition, static. I need sleep...) and a Jar-Jar head with the Gungan city diorama. There haven't been any released for AOTC. What gives? Are they not manufacturing them anylonger, or are they in "limited release"?

And speaking of limited release, did the C-3PO/R2-D2 Christmas figures actually exist? I've never seen one.

I suppose the bust/diorama question is the only real one in this post. Any input would be grately appreciated.

Ooo -- just remembered another item line which I haven't seen since the re-releases back in 1997. Miniature pewter vehicles. I have all three sets from the original trilogy. Were they planning on releasing any from the new trilogy?

Wow. I'm more of a collector/nerd than I thought!!

EDIT: Typos and punctuation errors. It was a VERY long night at work.

4. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Actually, I'm with Catie on the Transformers question - what is the deal with the huge price tag on the reissues? The toys are nowhere near the quality of more recent transformers, which are nowhere near as expensive as the reissues... what's the dilly with that? I know it's a crap question, but I think it's a crap price to pay for an old toy.

Jeff

5. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Yes as a matter of fact we have some questions...

1.) Why do they keep making the same figures over and over again? There are 15 luke's 22 Vader's, dirty Stormtrooper, clean Stormtrooper..you get the jist..why the remakes of the same figures? If you want a specific example..why two Teebos? Has anyone ever given enough **** about Teebo to have two of them?

2.) What the hell are all those Jedi bonus points good for? I have like a half a million points. Ask them to either do something with them or I'm coming to their office and wallpapering their offices with them.

3.) Ephant Mon...It was a Fan's choice figure. There are three fans that actually have them. Meanwhile, there are 3000 snaggletooth sadly sucking up the pegs at every Toys R Us I've seen.

4.) Beach Head's neck is too long and Destro looks like the Terminator. Did the folks remaking these figures ever actually /watch/ the original GI Joe series? And if you're going to rerelease the old figures, don't paint them ridiculous colors...just don't.

5.) And why do the remakes of the original Transformers cost so much. Bastards.

6.) And good job with the Stickfas..very cool toy.

D & M

6. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, my questions are probably very lame, but I have to ask anyway:

1) This is the most important question for me (I tried to get RebelScum to answer this, but no reply thus far): Will they ever make a 12" Leia in her Bespin gown? I don't care who they go through to make it, or how expensive it will be (hell, Bob shelled out $80 minus shipping for the FAO Exclusive Slave Leia with Artoo, so that right there shows what lengths I will go to for a well-sculpted, highly-detailed Leia doll). I really want this doll badly! :D It would be the piece de resistance to an ever-growing collection (short of the original 1980s unproduced prototype, which is a serious long shot, of course). This is my dream doll, and I know alot of others who would like to see this doll made also.

2) Oh, and a new, nicer version of the 12" Hoth Leia and the Classic ANH Leia would be most welcome. They were extremely ugly and desperately need to be redone. Besides, if they can redo the Boussh Leia, they can redo the others.

3) A 12" Leia in her Endor gown wouldn't hurt either. :D

Yeah, it's easy to see the pattern developing here, and it's rather silly. But I have been obsessed with 12" Leias for a long time now, for if they had continued to make more than the original '77 one, and with more variety, I would have been a very happy child. I would have tossed my Barbies in the garbage in a heartbeat for a Leia doll then.

Thanks Phil. :)

7. bwing53

May 7, 2002
    Beret--I don't think Carrie Fisher is much taller than 12"--why don't you just buy her and put your own gowns on her? Might save money, you know.

8. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    [face_laugh] Oh, that's very low...

But I don't think Carrie would be amused...

;)

9. bwing53

May 7, 2002
    Pardon me, your worshipfulness.

10. SkyJammer

Dec 4, 2000
    Hey, guys, I'm back from my adventure in Rhode Island and Boston (and man, I so love being back among people who seem to drive correctly....).

Didn't get a chance to ask questions of the SW group as I was furiously taking photos and cursing my camera for not taking photos.

And then cursing my laptop for seeming not liking my left mouse button. And then cursing the hotel room on Thursday night for not having Internet access although they claimed they would.

What this means is I have some SW and Joe pictures left to put up and will get to those today. Once I unpack. (Plane got in after midnight, then I had a funeral this morning so I'm just now unpacking.)

But to summarize -- some cool stuff is heading our way.

And Hasbro even gave us all freebies. The Leia Unleashed figure is kinda nice. Especially when it hasn't hit shelves as far as I know.... :)

I'll let you know when the pics are up.

-Phil

11. SkyJammer

Dec 4, 2000
    Okay, I've uploaded the Star Wars pictures from the event. Just go to http://www.alteredstatesmag.com and you'll see links to 3 separate galleries of Star Wars toys.

Enjoy, folks!

-Phil

12. bwing53

May 7, 2002
    Nice pics, Phil! I must say I'm jealous of anyone who scores free toys just for going to work. I think I need to talk to my store owner about setting something up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.