main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any suggestions for displays

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by debeautimous, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. debeautimous

debeautimous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I am going to make displays for my 12" figures. I asked some of the local fan club for ideas. I would like yours too. I am going to make a hoth scene with luke hanging upside down. I was thinking of modeling clay and spray snow. I was also going to use chicken or turkey bones for the wampa to eat. I want to do the ceremonial scene at the end of a new hope. I've had some good suggestions of spray stone and maybe model plants. I also have a slave Leia and R2D2. So I guess Jabba's palace. If anyone has pictures of these scenes please post them. Thanks

2. debeautimous

Jan 2, 2003
  3. Silac5

Silac5 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2001
    There's a special tool (can't think of the name) that you can find at most hobby shops, it runs off of 2 'D' batteries and has a wire attached to it that gets very hot when turned on. Using this you can cut styrofoam into perfect ice sculpts for use with Hoth scenes.

4. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Yep, that's what I was going to say. There's a lady that runs a store around here that sells nothing but those styrofoam displays. They make great ice walls.

5. BushiFox

BushiFox Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2002
    I don't think I would use turkey or chicken bones...just because they would get stinky. Maybe you could buy one of those dinosaur model kits that has the bones...that would look cool.

6. debeautimous

Jan 2, 2003
    That is an excellent idea !

7. debeautimous

Jan 2, 2003
  8. Silac5

Dec 12, 2001
    I found my cutter I was talking about earlier and its called a 'Wonder Cutter'.

9. debeautimous

Jan 2, 2003
    Have you used it on styrofoam? I need to make an ice cave that looks like Carlsbad Caverns with stalagtites and stalagmites.

10. Silac5

Dec 12, 2001
    Its like cutting through butter with a hot knife.

11. debeautimous

Jan 2, 2003
    I just looked at your collection!! AWESOME!!
    You should make some displays for all of those 12" figures you have!! I am going to make a drawing of what I want and then let my husband put together the basic structure and then I will decorate it. I want to add some decorative moulding so it will look nice in the house. I also need to have some handles or something to make it easy to move.

12. Silac5

Dec 12, 2001
    I'm currently building a cantina for my 3.75" figures. I am going to do something with my 12" figures. After seeing them photographed I decided they don't look very good just standing there. Another material that I use a lot for making displays is comic book boards. They're much stronger than poster board and small enough to work with easily.

I'm glad you liked my collection. When you get one of your displays done I'd love to see a picture of it.

13. debeautimous

Jan 2, 2003
    I went to hobby lobby today and I found the wonder cutter. Does the thing sticking out of it heat up or is it different when you take it out of the package? I haven't bought it yet. I am waiting for my tax refund which comes on 2-7. I found some great things in the section with the railroad models. They have snow and molds and tiny plants. I can hardly wait to get started!!

14. Silac5

Dec 12, 2001
    The "hook" on the wonder cutter holds a thin wire and that wire is what gets hot (very hot), but the hook stays quite cool.

15. debeautimous

Jan 2, 2003
    Oh good when I looked at it I couldn't figure it out. I will let you know how it works out.

16. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Of course, you know we are going to need to see pics. In progress and finished ;)

17. debeautimous

Jan 2, 2003
    I may have to have my brother help me because I have no idea how you post pictures here. I am new to computers but I just bought a nice one with a great printer. I just haven't figured out how to use it yet. Ha! Ha!

18. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Originally posted by debeautimous:
    I may have to have my brother help me because I have no idea how you post pictures here. I am new to computers but I just bought a nice one with a great printer. I just haven't figured out how to use it yet. Ha! Ha!

Read this!
    That's your handy & dandy guide to all the nifty things you can do on these boards, such as posting links to images*, italicized text, highlighted text and more! :D
    If that clickable link didn't work, look at the toolbar at the top of the screen, just below the banner, and click on the link that says "Markup Codes". :)

*Please note that the image in question must first be hosted online at a site that allows remote linking to images. Images hosted through such services as Geocities & Angelfire will NOT display.

19. debeautimous

Jan 2, 2003
    Where do you put your pictures. Sorry I am such a newbie I don't understand how to scan a picture then place it with the instructions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.