main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any Suggestions???

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Ariokk, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariokk

Ariokk Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2003
    I've been a Star Wars fan since the beginning. I've never really gotten into it more than the movies though. I've just finished playing Jedi Outcast, was a blast. I played Everquest for two years but am quitting to play Star Wars Galaxies when it comes out. I'd like to bone up on my knowledge of Star Wars more than what the movies allow...can someone suggest a Star Wars novel or two that I can read that will give me a better understanding of it all???

Thanks,
    Ariokk

2. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    I can recommend the Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command), and the X-Wing series. Nothing beats the classics. :)

3. Ariokk

Ariokk Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2003
    I will try those. These won't throw me off will they? Remember, I've only seen the movies.

4. Jedi_Master_Mazzara

Jedi_Master_Mazzara Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2001
    Yes, starting any book will get you thrown off. Buy as many old copies and new copies of the Star Wars Insider and study 2-1B's advice column. Through doing this you'll realize the real mastermind behind... well pretty much everything in the galaxy, especially the New Republic/Rebellion... 2-1B. After this, go and read the books, and remember, all that happens is do to 2-1B's instigation... That is all (Start with Truce at Bakura, then the Rogue Squadron books, then Wraith, then Coutrship of Princess Leia, then Thrawn trilogy)

5. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    You should definatly read the Thrawn Trilogy, but it may not help you in Galaxies, as the game is set during the Original Trilogy and TTT takes place several years after Return of the Jedi. You should read Shadows of the Empire, for sure. (Takes place between the Empire Strikes Back and RotJ.) The Han Solo Trilogy is good (The Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit, and Rebel Dawn) and it happens right before A New Hope. The X-wing series is a great read and it would help with a lot of technical knowledge, especially when the piloting expansion comes out for Galaxies, although it's set before TTT.

If you aren't interested in reading all the dozens of novels out there, TheForce.net's home page can link you up to TimeTales, which summarizes all the events in the Expanded Universe. (Not advisable if you want to read the books and comics later, though, as you'll get spoiled.)

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    The Essential Chronology by premier Star Wars literary masters Kevin Anderson and Dan Wallace is exactly what you're looking for.

7. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Yeah, that's a good book. Pretty comprehensive. I read it all the way through like a novel, so that was cool.

8. Anakin_Solo02

Anakin_Solo02 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2002
    this is what i did, and it turned out alright (at least i hope i did :))

i read the thrawn trilogy by timothy zahn. then i read the jedi academy trilogy, the new rebellion, and the thrawn duology. then i read all the x-wing books. i finished them just about as the NJO was beginning so it worked out well.

if you only want to read a few books, i would suggest reading the thrawn trilogy, definitely. after that, the x-wing books are awful quick reads, and you'll love them. you should read everything!

my last piece of advice is this: don't read the NJO until you've read most of the x-wing books and the thrawn books. it won't make any sense to you, and many of the ironic meanings in the books will be lost on you.

-AS02

9. evanchester

evanchester Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    Whatever you do, make sure you read The Thrawn Trilogy.

10. Ariokk

Ariokk Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2003
    Thank you...you all have been most helpful. I will definately follow your advice, I never realized that Star Wars got that indepth.

Ariokk

11. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    when you finish reading the thrawn trioligy you want to then read "The Hand of Thrawn" duolgiy. (Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future)

12. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Pshht! Hand of Thrawn Duology! Read the X-wing series after the Thrawn Trilogy.

13. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Ariokk before you read the EU you need to finish watching all of the star wars movies or the EU won't make any sense. You havn't seen all of the star wars movies. you missed "The star wars holiday special". its almost impossible to find normaly. You will find it on kazza.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.