main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any Tales of the Jedi fans here?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jack_T_Chance, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    So, just wondering:
    Is anyone else here a fan of the Tales of the Jedi comics from Dark Horse?
    Are there any threads about them that I've overlooked?
    Anyone here as excited as I am about the upcoming PC RPG Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, which is based on the TOTJ era?
    Just curious....

2. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I liked them. I really did. I really like Ulic. He's so cool. he reminds me a bit of Kyp Durron.

3. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Cool. :)
    So, what did you like most about them?
    Me, I guess I liked how it was the same universe we know and love, and yet, they managed to make it feel like an earlier era.
    It's kind of like, if the normal Star Wars universe is analogous to the 20th century (we know that real events in the 20th century are somewhat reflected in the movies), then the TOTJ era can be compared to the eras depicted in our mythology. It just has this slightly different feel to it, almost, in a way, more of a fantasy feel than the movies.
    Plus, they had a different sense of visual style. All the sabers look so COOL! And the clothing wasn't bad, either. Everyone had their own unique sense of style, so it was a bit more like the original trilogy. :D

4. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Right here I really like TOTJ. I also like Ulic. He any some ways to me is like Anakin. Both go over to the dark side. But kill there dark masters etc. It's really cool I think.

5. VuaRapuungRules

VuaRapuungRules Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    I really, really love TOTJ. Jori and Gav's story was -and is- so beautiful, it's how Star Wars is supposed to be. All the old Sith Lords rock too. I've read people typing they dislike the 'magick' in the books, but when you think a little more about things you can explain everything, even the nova created by Naga Sadow. Though the art was merely so-so in the first installment, later on it became quite good. It's superb to see the true history of the Jedi and Sith played out. Didn't like the sabers though, all ppl on the same side had exactly the same color lightsaber. Nifty to see great battles in 'ancient history' too. But again, not too fond of 'Jedi Battle Meditation', think it's overrated a little. Overall, excellent series.

6. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Well, time to get this thread back into the swing of things! :D
    One of the first things that caught my eye with TOTJ was the very distinctive, artistic, "medieval" look to the lightsabers the various characters used. These were weapons that LOOKED like they were handcrafted and highly personalized by their users. What I liked most of all were the ones that had the claw-like emitter prongs, giving the sabers a more vicious, ominous look more appropriate for a weapon of warfare. :cool:
    So, some of you may already know where I'm going with this... [face_mischief]
    for happy indeed was the day I went to Parks Sabers and discovered....
    The Fury!
    [image=http://www.parksabers.com/2001models/f8.jpg]
    Click on picture to view full size
    For the first time ever, a saber maker had made a lightsaber prop with that distinctive TOTJ look of the claw-like emitter! :D
    And then came the Malestrom...
    [image=http://parksabers.com/2002models/malestrom21.jpg]
    which went into an even wilder direction with the design...
    even MORE like the sabers in TOTJ...
    and has recently been updated slightly as The M2
    [image=http://www.parksabers.com/images/m2-www/3.jpg]
    And now, here we are at the start of 2003...
    Parks has just updated their product line again...
    and this time, Master Jeff Parks has given us...
    the saber that WILL be mine...
    oh yes, it will be, it MUST be...
    THE DOUBLE HELIX! :D
    [image=http://www.parksabers.com/images/helix-www/helix11.jpg]
    [image=http://www.parksabers.com/images/helix-www/helix2.jpg]
    [image=http://www.parksabers.com/images/helix-www/helix6.jpg]
    [image=http://www.parksabers.com/images/helix-www/helix8.jpg]
    [image=http://www.parksabers.com/images/helix-www/helix10.jpg]
    (Just a reminder, click on a pic to see it full size)
    So, there's what I'm gonna be savin' up for all year! ^_^

7. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Those are some cool pics Jack :cool:. TOTJ is my favorite part of EU. I have all 7 of the Trade paperbacks in the series and I'd have to say in terms of story, artwork, action, etc Dark Lords of The Sith is my favorite chapter. That may just be because Exar Kun is the best EU character IMO but oh well. :D

And I have to agree with you on the way these stories are both written and drawn, KJA did a good job paraleling ancient Earth only having it be the GFFA :).

BTW the game Knights of The Old Republic is set 100 years after Redemption around the same era but we won't see any of the characters from the comics. :(

<[-]> Saber

8. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    KOTR is set 100 years AFTER Redemption?
    Dude, that SUCKS!
    What little description Lucasarts will give of the game's plot, makes it sound like it truly lives up to its title. The brief plot summary they've given makes it sound as though you'll be going after Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma. Still, I'll buy it and play it because I've been wanting a PC or video game Star Wars RPG for years! The paper and dice game's been around for 15 years, so it's pretty lame that they've waited this long to finally do a PC version. We should've had one at least 10 years ago!

9. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Ulic Qel-Droma appears for the final time in the EU in the Playstation 2 game Star Wars:The Clone War's, Anakin Skywalker enters his tomb on Rhen Var to learn how to defeat an ancient Sith weapon of mass destruction devolped by Exar Kun and Qel-Droma during the great Sith War's, the weapon is called the Force Harvester by Count Dooku who is building it,and after its completion it is called the Dark Reaper.

It is Ulic who teaches Anakin how to resist its dark powers and destroy the weapon,ulic becomes one with the Force after this i think because it is the last piece of his remaining legacy as a former Sith Lord and now that it is defeated he is totally redeemed.

10. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Ulic appeared in that game?
    Sweet! ^_^
    You know, when I went to Star Wars Celebration II, I attended some of the panels Dark Horse had there. And when they were fielding questions, I asked specifically "Are you planning any more Tales of the Jedi stories?". And the reply from one of the main editors of the Star Wars line was "no". He then explained his reasons. It would seem that when Episode I came out, the editors at Dark Horse somehow got it into their heads that events in the movie rendered the TOTJ comics non-canon, and therefore they no longer wanted to make new stories. :(
    This left me scratching my head in utter confusion, because nowhere in ANY of the 5 movies released so far have I seen ANYTHING that conflicts with the events of TOTJ. The whole point of setting those comics 4,000 years before the movies was to make SURE there'd be no conflict with the movies. And seeing as how characters in the movies don't talk about ANY events more than 1,000 years before the movies, I'd say there's no WAY they can conflict at all. Even if you take into account the extra back story items included in the novelization of Episode I, again, there is no mention made of anything more than 1,000 years before the movies.
    So, I'm still terribly confused. What, specifically, did they think was contradictory to the movies?
    Anyone have any clues?
    'Cuz I sure can't figure it out. [face_plain]

11. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Anyone?

Anyone?

Anyone?

?[face_plain]

12. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002