main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Anybody else think Grand Admiral Thrawn is so damn awesome?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Syndic_Hart, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Recollections of history are often inconsistent, to the point of being down right contradictory at times, all throug the various histories recorded throughout different countries in our world (though admittedly, science is starting to remedy that via new forms of collecting evidence).

That's the way I look at EU and the movies, I suppose. :)

They might not be consistent with the films but I still get completely sucked into them because of the universe that has already been established.
    I love staying up all night reading cos you can't put a book down, even if it is considered to be dodgy. :)

Edit: I can spell. Really I can.

2. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I love staying up all night reading cos you can't put a book down, even if it is considered to be dodgy.

So very true. I'm up to the last book in the NJO (finally), and I've enjoyed most of them (Dark Journey was the spawn of a million J/K/J fanfics, for which I will never forgive it). I know it gets a lot of bad credit, but for me, it's still Star Wars, and I have a hard time putting any of the NJO books down until they're finished.

edit: stupid markups
    edit again: argh, markups won't recognise the closing tag, fer cryin' out loud...

3. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    I read the first two novels of NJO and realised that you could exchange the Republic for Trek's Federation, and the main cast of the NJO with any crew from any Trek series and they wouldn't have to change too much to make it work.

Add to this the utter butchering of my favourite Star Wars character, and you have a series that, imo, would struggle to make a decent series of Trek books.

Zahn was the best, and they should have made much more use of him.

As for the contunity errors, what annoys me is that after LFL insisted on certain storylines being avoided (presumably for continuity reasons) George just went like a bulldozer in a china shop through the EU anyway. And I use the term bulldozer advisedly: he didn't completely demolish the EU universe. He just cut a swathe through it so the inconsistencies were there glaring out at one another.

Well, as a writer yourself, I'm sure you can apreciate getting halfway through something, hitting on another idea and adding that into what you're doing, maybe or maybe not altering your original idea in the first place.

Given how many people actually see the films, the people who read the books are a small percentage. The ones who even bother to keep track of tiny inconstistincies across several books or films are smaller still. Lucas is just catering for the larger demographic by putting his films first and not bothering to worry about differences between the films and the books. he's even gone so far as to say he doesn't read them anyway, and they're a seperate universe to the movies.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I believe that Lucas said he read and enjoyed Dork Empire... :eek:

E_S

5. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    He even gave it out as gifts to employees, and commented that had the saga continued, it would have been fairly close to that.

But that's one story in a massive catalogue of stories, most of which should never have seen the light of day.

6. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, as a writer yourself, I'm sure you can apreciate getting halfway through something, hitting on another idea and adding that into what you're doing, maybe or maybe not altering your original idea in the first place.

Point; I suppose what rankles is the impression Uncle George seems to like to convey that he has this massive, overall masterplan that's been in production for thirty years, when in fact he chops and changes as much as any writer does. Eggzample: they're brother and sister! George routinely goes on record that this was his original plan right from ANH's final drafts, but does anybody really buy that? Scenes in ANH and ESB play significantly creepier in the light of that revelation. I think more likely he was just trying to come up with a blindside shot equal to Luke and Vader's little paternal crisis in ESB.

Given how many people actually see the films, the people who read the books are a small percentage. The ones who even bother to keep track of tiny inconstistincies across several books or films are smaller still. Lucas is just catering for the larger demographic by putting his films first and not bothering to worry about differences between the films and the books. he's even gone so far as to say he doesn't read them anyway, and they're a seperate universe to the movies.

*shrug* Fair enough. I'm just picking because of my profession ;)

7. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    No, I don't buy the "Luke & Leia brother and sister from the beginning" thing, mainly because he has already said in an interview that the original idea, had he continued on from RotJ, would have been a story arc that would have luke trying to conquer the dark side from within, and his long lost sister being the one to bring him back, and he said that this sister was the other that yoda spoke of.

So at least up until after the release of Empire, he didn't have Luke & Leia being brother and sister, he was just fortunate that her being adopted didn't contradict anthing in the previous two films.

8. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Yes...apparently there is a rather dubious scene between Luke and Liea in 'The Splinter of Mind's Eye'...or whatever it was called. :p

9. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Who was Grand Admiral Thrawn? :confused:

10. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Some blue guy in a white costume, so quite possibly a Smurf...

11. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    papa smurf?

:p

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Whilst he certainly had Papa Smurf's wisdom, clearly he lacked red pants and a beard. Thus, C'Baoth is an insane clone of Papa Smurf.

E_S

13. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    But he was human...and not Smurf...

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    He wasn't human, he was a Chiss.

Which has precisely the same number of letters to it as "Smurf".

However, I'm willing to concede Thrawn never stood "3 apples high" like a Smurf did.

E_S

15. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Hmmm...I dunno if Thrawn is hawt per say...but has anyone else thought about the fact that if Robbie Williams dyed his skin blue and his eyes red in his latest film clip where he is wearing an admirals uniform he could quite possible make Thrawn into a sexy manbeast thing?

Or an I thinking about things like that too much?

Mmmmm....Robbie Williams...

16. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I don't watch any Robbie Williams music videos, but i gotta say, anyone dyeing their eyeballs red deserves what happens next :p

17. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    I really need to think about things before I post them, don't I? :p

And it's Robbie Williams we're talking about. I'm sure if he thought it would get him laid more, he'd do it. Including dying his eyeballs :p

18. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    alright, that's just wrong. I thought you were talking about Robin Williams not Robbie

:p

19. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Oh yes, I meant Robin...I love hirsute men!

Especially if they're blue.

[face_sick]

20. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    I think blue is such a sexy colour on aliens. :D

21. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Robbie Williams hardly needs to dye his skin or eyes to get laid. There isn't a straight women on this man's earth (pun fully intended ouch feminism ouch) who wouldn't jump into bed with the cheeky scoundrel.

22. foxy_kenobi

foxy_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    He's used goods :p

My dad thinks he's ace though.. :eek:

23. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    There isn't a straight women on this man's earth (pun fully intended ouch feminism ouch) who wouldn't jump into bed with the cheeky scoundrel.

Not so, I know many women who he does absolutely nothing for...

24. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Including me, Sith. Oh, wait...

And I was talking about C'Boath...not Thrawn. I'm enough of a nerd to know Thrawn is a Chiss... :p

25. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    [Monty Python brigadier]Right. That's enough, This thread's gotten too silly. Silly, silly, silly indeed.[/brigadier]

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.