main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Anybody gonna jump to this Hyperspace?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Toymaster, Jun 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toymaster

Toymaster Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    This comes from the official site:

"Now, in 2003, principal photography for Episode III is about to begin, and starwars.com is looking to bring fans even closer to the action than ever before. On June 10, visitors to the official Star Wars site will discover a fresh, all-new look, designed to bring a wealth of Star Wars entertainment to core and casual fan alike. The launch will also mark the debut of the official Episode III section featuring new art, cast and crew updates, and a continuation of starwars.com's unique brand of on-going coverage for the final Star Wars film.

For Star Wars fans who want even more, Lucas Online is pleased to introduce starwars.com Hyperspace, an extensive subscription service that presents exclusive content, new features and a wealth of personalization options that are available only to subscribers."

The catch?

"...a subscription to Hyperspace will cost just $19.95 for an entire year's worth of access to the subscriber-only areas of starwars.com. Access to the main starwars.com site, and all the content and activities fans have come to know and love, remains free to all fans."

Wow, talk about stickin' it to us! Now, I'll be the first to say "NO WAY", but I have a sneaky feeling they're gonna reel some of us in with some kind of exclusive offer like an action figure that you can't get anywhere else. Isn't the thirty bucks for the hardly-worth-it SW Insider enough???

2. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    From June 5 to June 9, all visitors to starwars.com will be able to get a free "sneak preview" of the new service. After the preview period, a subscription to Hyperspace will cost just $19.95 for an entire year's worth of access to the subscriber-only areas of starwars.com. Access to the main starwars.com site, and all the content and activities fans have come to know and love, remains free to all fans.

Hyperspace members can look forward to a Star Wars experience unlike any other with benefits including:

Episode III Set Diary - see what it's like to be on the set all summer long through this daily insider's journal If you don't know by watching the making of Episodes I & II, you'll never know
    Episode III Webcam - spy on the cast and crew as they make the new movie at Fox Studios Australia = MAJOR SPOILERS!
    The often-requested, never-before-seen Episode II deleted sequence "Jedi Assault on the Droid Control Ship" in its original rough-cut form Explain to me why this wasn't in the DVD instead of 5 Padme dialogue scenes?
    Photoreceptor - a new photo series featuring rare and first-look photos and artwork pulled from deep within the Lucasfilm archives from all five films
    Classic Bantha Tracks - a nostalgic look at the rare and treasured fan magazine from the 1970s and 80s :eek: :p
    First online availability of the upcoming "Clone Wars" animated series
    Live online talks with Star Wars celebrities, including cast and crew members from Episode III = more spoilers
    A Star Wars-themed email address Already have one, thank you
    Personalization and customization features to the Cargo Bay collector's database and official message boards, including avatars and personal profile pages TOO LATE- We all post on The Force.net, thank you!
    A new newsletter, contests, special offers and more I guess this means we have to pay now for the Star Wars Homing Beacon
    Hyperspace members will see starwars.com completely AD FREE =Yeah because we would be paying the advertisers fee instead of the armed forces ads that constantly pop-up

BTW, where does this leave TFN? If it is required to pay for exclusive content relating to Episode III, will TFN be reprimanded every time they mention what is or was being shown on this portion of the Star Wars website? And since everything shown on there will be directly from the horses mouth, so to speak, does that mean that all this major spoiler info will be allowed througout the message boards, even in the non-spoiler sections?

I'm gonna wait for reviews by other fans before I even consider paying for internet content. Knowing Lucasfilm, any kind of content they have there will be encoded so that you can't save it to your hardrive, meaning that EVERY time you want to look at something, you have to download it. For most of us who are using a 56K modem it will be annoying beyond belief to have to download anything each time we want to view it. I definitely won't be biting this year unless they offer something else, like an action figure or a comparable goody. If I do bite, it will be a year out from Episode III, when the good stuff actually shows up on the site unless it is rife with spoiler info. I doubt they will offer anything downloadable from the set production that is worthy of the $20.

What they need to do is offer this service at a significantly discounted rate for the first month & get fans hooked, or like you said, offer something like an action figure or perhaps a coupon to be used at the fan store. After that, they can charge the full price. I'm with you Toymaster. I think this whole internet subscription thing is an extremely bad idea. :mad: Unfortunately, enough people will bite to begin with to make it worth it to them to continue charging fans for content related to Episode III. :(

I have one major question regarding this. If they are going to be offering exclus

3. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I'm just gonna be brief and say NO.

4. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Heck no.

5. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I can just imagine fan boys everywhere (like that Canadian Star Wars kid doing his Darth Maul impersonation with the mic stand) sitting at their computers for hours on end this summer(while the weather is nice) just hoping to get a glimpse of some spoiler info to share with all of us. [face_laugh]

I say let them pay the fees, do all the homework & then broadcast it over the internet. We can then spend 1 minute glancing it over and then get on with our lives. Besides, I've been spoiled enough between the last two films. From my intentional spoilage for Episode I & my stumbling across things & seeing a certain action figures with a removeable arm I've been spoiled enough. I don't think I need to pay to be spoiled for the last STAR WARS movie EVER.

"Not gonna duit! Wouldn't be prudent at dis juncta." :p

6. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    There was a shout from up above with a resounding, "NO!".

And it was good.

7. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Hey, at least it gives me a good reason to stay spoiler-free. Maybe the JC should charge admission to the SA forum, too. ;)

8. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Don't give them any ideas Hama! ;)

And it was good.

& they were deceived by the serpent (McCullum) who stated, "take of this fruit & surely you will see good & evil as GL does".

They ate of the forbidden fruit, recognized their nakedness & hid themselves in shame. :(

[face_laugh]

9. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    [face_laugh] & a tremendous applause @ Scott!! [face_laugh]

10. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    No Way!!! The greedy space slugs!!! How much money is enuff for Lucas? Exclusive figures, exclusive info, exclusive offers............bah humbug!!!! How about we give them an exclusive ban for the next month and refuse to even visit the official site. Their advertisers might pull some funding if the hits on the site drop to nothing.

11. skyshark93

skyshark93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    I don't think so. I'm pretty pissed off already with all the "store exclusives" out this year. There are more exclusives than there are regular figures and toys! So what's next? We have to PAY to be a fan now?! I have to PAY you because I liked your movie?! I'm with Toymaster, I already pay enough for the Insider. And I'm gonna quit visiting the website until after the movie.
    Later
    Bert
    TK-7528

12. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I hear ya on that one you guys. You have to even submit a credit card number to even look around during the 5 day free preview. What kind of crap is that?!!! You couldn't even barely get on their server the first day as it was constantly "down for maintenance". I went ahead and took the "submit your credit card number" preview out of sheer curiosity & there isn't jack squat in there right now. I was hoping to at least be able to watch the bluescreen attack on the control ship & then cancel. NOPE! They are saving that for the people who they snafu'd into paying their $20 like the good little fan boys & girls they hope we all are. Needless to say, I went and followed the instructions to cancel, which was darn near impossible because the traffic on that site kept locking up the page. Don't take the free preview! If you don't cancel by the time limit, your credit card will be charged!

I'm tempted to join you guys on boycotting the "official" site until Episode III rolls around. You know TFN will report any significant headlines anyway. Besides, it sounds like they are taking the, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em & then charge 'em." approach in regards to spoiler info on EPIII. Just wait. You think its been hard to divert your eyes from the random spoiler here & there about Episodes I & II? Well, you aint seen nothin' yet! Its going to be a free for all feeding frenzy this summer on speculation of what people are viewing on the webcam & casting info for Episode III. So, if you want to remain spoiler free then staying away from the non paying portions of the official site may not be a bad idea.

I was even considering staying away from the trailers when they come out for this one, as I would love to just once (other than the 1st Star Wars movie) go into the movie theater & not knowing any spoilers at all (other than the given stuff that we know already). That would definitely be nice to go out almost totally surprised, if its even possible. ;)

13. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    I agree, Scott. I have made an oath not read any spoilers coming across the line in the coming months. I figured I might as well enjoy this next movie not knowing what to expect. ;)

I, unfortunately, spoiled myself rotten for AOTC. Not gonna do it this time! :D

14. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I drank in the spoilers like it was water in the desert for both prequels and that caused both of them to fall flat for me. I knew practically the entire story for both of them. I'd like to avoid a lot of spoilers for Ep 3, but I know I probably won't. I just like to know what's happening.

15. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Like they say in Mexico, "DON'T DRINK THE WATER, KEN!" Just stay off the Official SW site & don't visit the new TFN Hyperspace forums, spoiler forums or even the non-spoiler forums (as spoiled people love to drop hints in there that even a complete moron could figure out). Even if the perpetraitors get reprimanded or even banned, the damage is done & you are now spoiled. Stay out of those places & you should be pretty safe. I think I may even let my Insider Subscription slip when it expires next year. I am however, admittingly keeping up with the Clone Wars comics & novelizations. I want to stay up to snuff on that so that when I walk into Episode III with a better understanding of what has transpired leading up to the movie scroll, but that's as far as I intend to go.

I hope I make it! :D

16. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    This little excerpt from the Toronto Star says it all in relation to the "Hyperspace" section of the Official site. It is justly titled "FEE FROM THE DARKSIDE":

"...you have to wonder why Lucas can't make a go of it without charging his most faithful fans for online privileges. This is not some struggling Web operator we're talking about. Lucas seems to forget that movie Web sites established themselves over the past decade as a celebration of movies, not as a profit partner in them.

When Starwars.com debuted on Nov. 26, 1996, it posted a statement of purpose: "Just as Star Wars grew, or rather exploded, in the public consciousness, this Web site will continue to grow and change. And like the films, our aim is to inform, entertain, surprise and amuse you."

Nowhere does it say "and also rip you off." Or was that the kind of "surprise" Lucas was referring to?"

I couldn't have stated it better myself! AMEN BROTHER!!! ;)

17. DarthSiren

DarthSiren Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    i coldnt' help myself. i gave in and paid the 20 bucks.

18. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Let the rest of us know if there's anything good. ;)

19. TK-6873

TK-6873 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    None for me, thanks. I think I'm already putting on of GL's kids thru college with the stuff I'm buying right now.

20. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Even though I cancelled, I was able to get the pic with Carrie sunbathing in her gold bikini with her stunt double dressed likewise during the 5 day preview. :) :D

21. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    *Ahem*

I think a post of this is in order, Scott. [face_laugh]

22. Toymaster

Toymaster Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I guess the only way to get anybody to pay for any web site is to show a little skin!

23. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I would love to post it, but I don't want to risk "The Empire Striking" at me or my own personal website. Besides, I'm sure TFN would take the link out in a heartbeat & then reprimand me for it. BUT, I'll e-mail it to you if you like. Its actually on my computer at work, so I'll send it to ya Monday.

I thought you guys might find this article interesting:

LUCAS EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

Lucasfilm defends its decision to charge for premium offerings on its Star Wars Web site.

PETER HOWELL

ILLUSTRATION BY RAFFI ANDERIAN/TORONTO STAR

The Force is no longer with Alex Gerhards, Joel Gregoire and a whole lot of other Star Wars fans.

They're furious that series creator George Lucas has made a cash grab out of Starwars.com, the official Web site of the long-running space fantasy franchise. They may have to get used to it, though, because the era of free content on the Internet is fast coming to an end.

Since 1996, Starwars.com has been offering free news, images, chats and other insider content to fans eagerly awaiting each new chapter in the prequel trilogy. It was seen as a reward to the faithful, and good advertising for the next Star Wars offering.

That changed this past week, when Lucasfilm Ltd. began charging $3.95 (U.S.) per month, or $19.95 per year, for access to Hyperspace, a new pay-for-view section of the site that will offer such geek goodies as Web-cam shots of the production, exclusive chats with the cast and crew, a daily set diary and a Starwars.com e-mail address for all subscribers.

The switch comes just as Lucas starts filming in Sydney, Australia, for Episode III, the third film in the prequel trilogy and the final chapter of the Star Wars saga. It's the one where good Anakin Skywalker turns into the evil Darth Vader, but many fans say it is Lucas who has crossed over to the dark side.

Fan reaction to the Hyperspace fee, the majority view of the voluminous e-mail I've received in response to last week's column on the matter, has been strongly critical. Many readers sign their mail, "a former Star Wars fan."

"I feel," writes reader Alex Gerhards, "let down and ready to kick Lucas and his `empire' into the trash. I can't help but feel they want to go for one last money ride with this last movie. The last opportunity to rake in as much as possible over the next two-to-2 1/2 years. What a slap in the face, after spending enough time and money on Lucas and his `empire' to start my own business. This geek is going to move on."

Another reader, Joel Gregoire, voices similar views.

"As a devoted fan of Star Wars, I've put up with Jar Jar and his Jamaican accent, the corniest of love scenes (see Episode II), and scripts that sound as though it's the collaborative effort of a bunch of Grade 2s and perhaps a marketing executive!" he writes.

"This is certainly the final straw, and I can't believe that Lucas (who himself appears to have become a `brand') has so sold out his `art,' and more importantly his fans with what he's done and is continuing to do with his Web site."

Utah Star Wars fan Jaron Janson, who saw my column on the Web (it was re-posted at the fan site http://www.theforce.net), quotes Yoda to express his unhappiness.

"For more than 25 years, we have paid Lucas to give us more and more Star Wars. Now we have to pay more to see shoddy, over-hyped coverage of another lame prequel? Please.

"The great universe created in 1977 by Star Wars is quickly being overtaken by the dark powers of greed. It is too bad ? why can Lucas not gain more fans through giving free information about his last instalment? Instead he has chosen money. I suppose we as millions of fans haven't given him enough of our income. As Yoda says, `Once you choose the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny.' This will change Star Wars forever."

Jonathan Bryans, a reader in Hamilton, Ont., recalls lining up with his dad to see the first Star Wars film on its opening night in 1977.

Enamoured by the story, and subsequent chapters of the original trilogy,

24. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Yup, still a crock-a-poo-doo.

25. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    I won't claim that Star Wars has been completely ruined by this move like the people in that article -- I don't take it quite that seriously. Still, I'm not going to pay extra money unless I'm guaranteed something worth the extra money (I did pay for QT 5.0 Pro during the Episode II trailer releases).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.