main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anybody here like the PT who grew up on the OT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jason79, Jul 15, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There are actually people here who would be considered "PT generation," born in the mid-80s or later, who prefer the OT and don't like the PT at all. And as this thread shows, several of us old farts like the PT as much or better than the OT.

That's one reason I hate generalizations and stereotypes. Boxing people into a movie preference by age bracket is stupid.

eht13, Poor Greedo, kainee and 2 others like this.
  2. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    And then there will be the ST generation...... :p

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Probably my kids' generation, but they might be considered more of "TCW generation" now (and my youngest doesn't like TCW at all).

4. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Forgot about the TCW generation.

OOT Fans, EU Fans, OT/SE Fans, PT Fans, TCW Fans, ST Fans.... Can't we all get along? :p

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  6. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I think we should be able to get along.

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Reported.
    ;)

:p

8. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I grew up with the OT and I enjoyed the Prequels. They're not great, but they work as 'real' Star Wars movies for me. I watch them every time I watch the OT, through slightly gritted teeth. Revenge of the Sith is really good, though.

Sarge and Carbon1985 like this.
  9. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I can't watch anything with my teeth gritted more than once. I tried with Lord of the Rings and ended up at the dentist.

10. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    this is really the most remarkable thing, by episode 9 it will be over 40 years since we first learned of this world, so many generations, so many different mythologies and interpretations

11. Enchanted Thoughtfist

Enchanted Thoughtfist Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2013
    I've been reading these forums for about 11 years or something so HELLO ALL but I never joined until now just to say this....

I was born in 1972. I first saw Star Wars at the local cinema a week after I saw posters advertising it when I was dragged to the very same cinema with my Ma, Aunt and cousin to see bloody effing love story. I was wanting to go and see that space and explosion thing that was on the other screen. Anyway, a week later I got to see Star Wars in 1978. I was totally hooked. Back then there were no VCRs, let alone the internet (for us lot, anyway), so all I had was memories, toys and the soundtrack album. Then I joined the fanclub which was American I think (Bantha Tracks mag). Through them I was on the telly with an ex-Goon talking about Star Wars just when Empire came out!!! Saw that at the Odeon in Newcastle (where The Who used to play). Saw A New Hope/Empire double bill at my local cinema, rented the New Hope video all of the bloody time when it was released, then taped it off the telly when it was first shown, with adverts hmmm. Empire got released onto video and that was hired out constantly by me haha! Then Jedi came out when I was 10 and the night before I went to see it I remember it being featured on the local news, for some reason.

I think everyone experienced those 'dark times' during the late 80s/early 90s, although those arcade games filled a massive gap.

I got mega-excited when the Special Editions were released; 3 Star Wars films within a few months on the big screen!!!!! Perfect!

Then came the Prequels. The first time I saw The Phantom Menace was on video. Yes, the one with the 'Z' in the corner. I couldn't help myself to watch it as soon as I could. The quality was uber-rubbish but the sound effects were there, the music was there, the dialogue made sense through the crappy picture quality - I was hooked again. Oh yes I was!!!!! Saw it 5 times at the cinema.

The best ever Star Wars film ever for me will always be Attack of the Clones. That was everything I ever wanted to see in a Star Wars film. When it had finished I went "Hmmmm, so THAT is how it all happened!" It was a great experience.

So yeah, I'm the generation OT but I really really do prefer them Prequels. And for a hell of a lot more reasons too.

12. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    ...... its funny we are the same age, saw my films in Liverpool and Wigan, when the SE came out I was a cinema manager. AOTC is an odd one, you will see its a lot of peoples least favourite (inc mine) but has some of my favourite scenes. I love the OT and PT the same as its one and the same for me

13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm with you fettus. AOTC is well entrenched at number 6 for me, but I agree that it has some really cool eye (and ear) candy in it.

Pensivia, kainee and Vthuil like this.
  14. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    This is totally me. I love all six movies, but if I'm going to sit down and watch the films and only have time to watch one of the two trilogies, the PT is the one I go for.
    BTW, I love your username.

kainee, FRAGWAGON and my kind of scum like this.
  15. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    The funny thing about AOTC is after my first viewing in the theatre, I thought it was the best Star Wars film - I was completely in love with it. Over time, it has dropped down to be my least favorite, but it still has so many things that I love. I still absolutely just love the first section of the film (up until Anakin and Padme leave Coruscant).

and Jango_fett21 - thanks! ;)

kainee likes this.
  16. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I am really in love with Ep II these days. From Kamino on its really quite good. I used to love the OT when it was all we had, now I'm a saga guy and I love Ep II. There, I said it!

darthwannobi, kainee and FRAGWAGON like this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Should be interesting because I am in that group :)

18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I just finished watching AOTC after several years. I still love it. Still love it. Along with THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, it's still my favorite SW movie.

I must admit that I was not impressed with J.J. Abrams' two-movie take on Star Trek. But from what I have heard, he was never a fan of that particular franchise to begin with. However, I hear that he is a big Star Wars fan. I suspect he might do a better job with Episode VII.

kainee and Count Yubnub like this.
  19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    My fingers are crossed. The first JJ-Trek was so meh that I didn't even bother with going to see the second one.

I hope he does Star Wars, better.

20. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    As a casual fan of Star Trek I enjoyed JJ's take on the franchise. I only watch the OS with Kirk and Spock anyway. This was the update the series sorely needed. I enjoyed the action and quicker pace...the tv shows for the most part bore me to death. The original movies were very good too, just feel really dated.

Also i felt the actor portraying Kirk in the new flicks, was channeling Mr Shatner at times. It's most evident in STID

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I was three years old when I saw ANH in '77, so I definitely grew up with the OT. But I loved the PT too, and I enjoy it all as the Saga.