main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anybody in a fraternity or sorority?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  2. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I never had to pay for my friends in college.

AYBABTU?

3. darthlebowski72

darthlebowski72 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 2001
    I am a TKE alumni, Rho-Pi Chapter. [face_devil] [face_devil] [face_devil] [face_devil] [face_devil]

4. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I never had to pay for my friends in college.

I agree 100% with that sentiment, but that's gonna piss a couple of posters a hell of a lot ;)

*grabs some chips, a coke, and waits for the show*

5. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    I understand why some people feel that way. I still feel that way about a lot of them. But not all fraternities are like that. It's just a stereotype.

It's like saying all Star Wars fans are geeks with no girlfriends. I'll have you know that I have a very, VERY beautiful girlie. :)

6. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    I'm trying to get into Phi Theta Kappa, but it's not really a fraternity or a sorority, it's a club for smart people :)

hmmm maybe I won't make it!!

7. MetallicPea

MetallicPea Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    A clun?

Good luck.

8. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    There's too much structure in the Frats and Sororities for moi. I always hated planned 'social events'.

I also have a loathing for guys wearing dirty white caps, drinking beer from a plastic cup and yelling "whooooo!" at the top of their lungs.

9. Zephyr Xux

Zephyr Xux Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 14, 1999
    Yeah, fraternizing and brotherhood were never really my thing.

10. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    LOL [face_laugh]

That is great B'omarr!

11. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    Lambda Lambda Lambda ;)

12. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    Delta Zeta Alum [face_mischief]

13. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    I was in a fraternity in college, and i had a great time in it. i do find it kind of ironic that most of the people who say things like i didnt have to pay for my friends or lump us all into dirty white hat wearing jerks are the same people who try to come acrosss as the "most liberal open people". you cannot generalize all fraternities and sororities any more then you can judge black, white or any othe group of people.
    There are lots of different fratenities out there and i am proud to say that mine was a very diverse one with many different types of people who were brothers.
    Stop being haters.
    Oh and i never paid for my friends b/c i never paid my dues.

14. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Kudos SLEAZO. I never paid my dues either. ;)

15. Master_Hydeck

Master_Hydeck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2000
    [face_laugh] Sleazo, you bum! Pay up! ;)

I agree that on some campuses, you are paying for your friends, especially the big ones. On smaller campuses, like mine, that is not the case. We did a lot for the community, and drank a lot as well. We all had dirty hats, but we pulled our weight, plus we had friends outside of the organization.

I remember when we were doing a legit fund raiser this one time and some philosophy prof (the most open-minded people on campus) accused us (w/o proof) of using the money towards beer. Dumb female dog. Of course it didn't help that she hated all men. Keep that open mind!

16. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    sleazo,
    I respect what you said. When people accused me of "paying for my friends" in college, I translated that as "someone who has no concept of what a group of this nature is about" and never bothered explaining. It is cool that you took the time to do so. :D

The reason I joined a sorority in college is two fold:
    1. Family tradition: father, aunt, sister, cousins were all greek. Therefore, I wanted to continue the tradition.

2. I went to a smaller commuter university where it was hard to meet others. Therefore, I figured that this was one good way to meet like-minded people, and it worked. Furthermore, I also had the chance to gain leadership skills (I served many chairs, lead the judicial board and served as VP) and the opportunity to do some really cool philanthropy work. All in all, it was a great experience (and the cheese puffs were wonderful. :p).

Believe me, I was definatly not the "sorority girl" type, in fact I used to make fun of that sort of thing as well. However, I met some really interesting people in these groups. And the people, not the pretty letters on the shirts, are what propelled me to join.

So, in conclusion, I agree with Sleazo: stop the hate. Take the time to investigate something before you judge. :D

17. sleazo

Aug 13, 2001
    I couldnt agree more, i went to a small school with no intentions of joining a fraternity, but i gotr there andf i happened to get along reallly well with the memebers of the frat id eventually join, there weren't many other social options at the school and i joined.
    I had friends that were not in PSK, but the strange thing is that it actually allowed me to expand the people i might have hung out with b/c i met a lot of cool people who i might not have been friends with they not been in my fraternity.

18. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Hey, I wasn't lumping all frat boys into the beer-swilling jerk catergory, just the majority of them :p

19. Master_Hydeck

Master_Hydeck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2000
    You can lump us into the beer-swilling category :p , but we're not all jerks.

20. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I agree that fraternities/sororities can be diverse, and have many great people in them. Most of my friends, if not all were in them. I pledged a frat for a while, but I quit, not because of the crazy hazing, but because of the attitude of the greeks at our school. I don't consider it necessarily "paying for friends" but it IS joining a group that is exclusive. Some people can join while others can't. Nice, fun-loving, friendly happy-go-lucky people get turned down because they aren't cool enough. They don't wear Abercrombie from head to toe and drive an Acura, and no matter how smart or nice or funny they are, they don't get in. Individuality is also looked down upon. I'd have to say every person I know who has joined a greek organization has changed for the worst (all to different degrees.)

Anyways, sorry to b____, I really don't have any animosity towards greek life, just not my cup of tea.

21. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    All the colleges that interest me have less than 10% of people involved in those things. I dont want to go somewhere the entire social life of the campus revolves around some lame club. The ones I really, really like, like Emerson, hardly have any frats at all. Less the better.

22. Garli Pesan

Garli Pesan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    My school doesn't have any. So it's just not a thing.

23. sleazo

Aug 13, 2001
    Not alll frats look down on diversity. Mine had a lot of different people who engaged in many different activities, in the larger group there were smaller groups based upon certain intrests but those groups tended to mix together as well. We busted each others b;;;;s for these differences but didnt force people to lose their individualities. There were things the fraternity di during the pledge program, but these were to instill a sense of togetherness that made my frat great. We didnt lose people in the mass rather we incorporated those differences while also instilling the ideals of the fraternity on them, more of a epluribus unim approach.
    I mean i definately got made fun of b/c i go on star wars websites and im a geek, but so were others, i just harrassed wh0oever harrassed me back and it was no big deal.
    anyway think b-4 you hate
    and by the way you are the first sorority girl ive known to be a star wars geek, mad love

24. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    What school do you go to? I am a junior of high school in the college search, and fratless colleges usually sound good to me.

25. LumpyMaiden

LumpyMaiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    i'm on alpha phi omega... a co-ed national service fraternity. my main beef with social greeks is the selectivity... at my school you spend a semester sucking up to them, and then they decide whether or not you're good enough to keep hanging out with them. "brotherhood" and "sisterhood" and all that is great, but how can you decide whether or not someone can "officialy" be your friend (or brother or sister).

APO is an open rush, meaning if you want to join, you're in, and our dues are super cheap compared to the social greeks. and we have a purpose besides just social... we're very involved with scouts and other service opportunities on and off campus.

i really don't have anything against people who are in sororities and fraternitites, i have friends who are in them. it's just not my cup 'o tea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.