main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anybody interested in Volunteering at Irish fest?

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by jedisister, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Last year I volunteered for the music history archives tent at Irish Fest and it was alot of fun!! Its for four hrs., you get free admission to Irish Fest and a free meal if you donate 4 hrs. of your time at the MHA tent and we're in need of more volunteers. So, if anyone is interested, please PM or post me here. The dates are Fri. August 16-18. I believe we still need Fri. day covered 12-4; Sat. all day, and Sun. The shifts are, as mentioned, 4 hrs and start at 12:00p.m.(I think, I'll have to double check) and go till 8:00 p.m. We need three people per shift. I'm on one shift already, but if anyone wants to join me I'll work extra shifts.
    Thank you!! Tracey

2. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    I would be interested in helping that weekend on Sunday (Sat I won't be available and I work on Fridays). What do we do as volunteers, and do they give us any training? Let me know!

3. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Music history archives, eh? Sounds like fun! Will there be beer? :D

4. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Well, either before or after your shift you may indulge in beer or whatever they have available(no Guiness I'm afraid which is a peeve of many since it is Irish Fest!!). So, yes, there is beer, just not at the tent, I believe there is a vendor though about one or two tents down that sells beer!! :)

5. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    There is just something inherently wrong with drinking miller at Irishfest. Being Irish nearly to the hilt, it just peeves me to no end...>:{

6. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    I'd love to volunteer that Saturday.

7. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I quite agree with you, sir.

8. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    I too will voice my outrage at Miller drinking at Irish fest...

Don't know if i can volunteer yet, though. Remind me in a couple weeks and I'll let you know, Tracey.

Jeff

9. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I fourth that! When I turned 21, I went to Irishfest for the sole purpose of having my first legal beer. And of course I wanted Guiness! Imagine my utter disappointment and dismay... And I won't drink Miller... yaack!

Give me Guiness or Newcastle any day! :D

Anyway, let me check my calender and I'll get back to you, Tracey. :)

10. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Well, even though I personally am not a beer, whiskey, Guinness(I have tried, though)etc. drinker, I do agree that it is most outragous for them NOT to serve the "motor oil". After all, Guinness is good for you. Miller just makes ya dumb!! Ok, I added that last bit myself only because it is sooo true and I've witnessed it too many times!! BUT, I do believe that they serve Leinie's and Killians, not just miller. So, maybe a small redemption? or not. [face_plain]

Jeff, I'll send ya a reminder, presuming we'll still need the help, of course! :D

11. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Do they at least have Murphy's? Beamish? Anything?

12. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Now here's a subject I know something about. I was there each day last year, and I can say that the best alternative to Miller is Sprecher Black Bavarian, which also happens to be the thickest stout-like beer you can get down there. Maybe now that Miller has been purchased by WorldBrands, they may get someting else in there (English beer would be ironic, but there's nothing like a pint of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale on a roasty-toasty day). Anyhoo, they serve about four or five different types of sprecher, but you have to walk to the north end to get it. Remember--buy in bulk.

Tracey--I'd love to volunteer, but I'll be too busy drinking. Feel free to mention that to your husband. Also, I will be more than happy to lead anyone who attends in a drunken & rousing rendition of "I'll tell me ma". It's a catchy little Irish song that is best sung when totally loaded. I would be happy to volunteer to be your personal beverage-runner, if you'd like (as long as my running would take me past the Sprecher tent).

jason

13. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Well, there you have it folks!! Our own personal beer drinkin, beer runnin, beer finder in a druken stupor to lead to the best ales offered by the fine folks of the summerfest faculities and the Irish fest "producers".(Since Irish fest officials don't have much of a say in the matter of what ales and such can be sold, its something or other thing that they can't sell the mighty G as well as some other types of ales and such. At least that's what I've been told, has something to do with Miller rights.)Stuff and rubbish I say!!
    Thank you to bwing for his "volunteering". :D

14. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Guiness, for those who like their beer to have the look and feel of oatmeal.

15. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Sure beats the bobcat piss that Miller is.

16. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Bumping this up as a reminder, if anyone else is interesrted, I need to know soon.
    I'll get a schedule of what days are still in need of help and when I need to know who is all able within the next couple of days.

17. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Bumming this up again. For anyone interested in volunteering, the dates we still need help are:
    Aug. 16 - Fri. 4 - 8 Aug. 17 - Sat. 12 - 4 & 4 - 8
    Aug. 18 - Sun. 12 - 4 & 4 - 8

Anyone that would still be interested, please PM or email me at jedisister@core.com within the next couple of days as we need to get the schedule figured out soon. Please let me know the day and times you could help. Thanks, Tracey

18. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    What exactly is the Music History Archive tent?

19. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Music History(Irish obviously) both traditional and untraditional that is archived.
    Everything from Chieftans to U2.

We still need about 5 more volunteers if there is anyone else interested. I'll be working Fri. and Sat., possibly Sun. as well. If there is a couple more people that might be interested, please let me know!! Thanks. Email or PM me. Its fun, really. I had a great time last year. :D

20. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Still need about 3 more people for Fri. night and Sun. night. Anyone else interested, please PM me. Sun is 3-7 and Fri. is 4-8. Bands will be meeting people in the tent this year and I've heard the promise of more diplays being added. Should be really fun!!!

21. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Should I bring any music with me?

I just remembered this great track I've got on a tribute CD. Sting and the Cheiftans performing a song by Leonard Cohen called "Sisters of Mercy" ...bard style! :D It's awesome!

I also have a nearly complete collection of U2.

22. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    That does sound cool, but that won't be necesssary, Tom. Thanks though. You should be getting the passes in the mail soon. Probably next week. As to want you'll need to do for helping, you'll probably find out when you get there. :)

Anyone else interested in volunteering, please let me know by Tues.

23. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Hi gang, I'm going to be checking out the Irish Fest with a fellow Chicago Forcer, and we are looking for a hotel to crash at Saturday night. Anyone have any suggestions?

We will be driving into town Saturday afternoon, but I don't want to drive too and from the Fest (which would limit alcohol consumption), so closer is better. Cheep is also good. ;)

Thanks!

24. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Your best bet is the Holiday Inn on Wisconsin Avenue. Its a short public bus ride down to the festival (they might have a shuttle also), and it is the cheapest rate you will find for the proximity (about 10 blocks, give or take). Good luck!

25. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    I was at the fest from 11-3 with Jedisister and Rogue_Eleven today, and it was so cool to get to spend the time with them and help out. Thanks, Traci, for asking if anyone wanted to volunteer! I really would like to do this again next year (and the hubby said he'd go with me this time :) ). I did stop by and watch the Trinity dancers for a bit...wow, if I tried that, I'd be on my face in 2 seconds flat! I'm such a klutz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.