main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anybody interested in Volunteering at Irish fest?

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by jedisister, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    You're welcome, Christine!! we will be needing volunteers again next year and it is fun. I actually was there all three days helping out. Nice to see the Wampas at Irish Fest and also, Megan, nice of you to drop by before your performance on Fri.

Christine, glad you had the chance to see the Trininty dancers. Oisin might be up there next year, so we may need a really big cheering section next year(HINT, HINT).

Jessie, I'm glad to have had the chance to meet youand hope to see you again.

Thanks to Tom, Christine and Jessie for helping out!!

2. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Forgot to say 'Hi' to ComLinkJammin and son for stopping by. It was good to see you both since the collector's meeting, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing you both again at the next one!

3. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Three beers and I still managed not to embarrass myself too much. One of the Muck Brothers bought me my first! :D

Tracey, don't forget to PM me the name of that warrior dude, Finn McRunfast or something, and the other guy, and the book recommendations. :)

4. Rogue_Eleven

Rogue_Eleven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2002
    Thanks for letting me volunteer, Tracy! It was nice to get to meet you and Christine yesterday. :) I stuck around the festival with my parents after my shift and I'm so glad we had a nice day for it.

5. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Sorry we couldn't wander back and hang out. We're both fair skinned and it was a spur of the moment deal and we didn't bring our sun block...and we really need our sun block..badly. Let me just say...milk doesn't tan.

It was fun and we'll go next year and it's good to point out to folks that Irish culture and music is not about the RiverDance. Oy.

Marcy and Dwayne

6. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Hey guys--I wish I would've seen you at Irish Fest ( I got there lat Saturday night), but I scrrewed with work on Friday and Saturday--both days I had taken off for (everyone working for me is either physically or mentally sick). Anyway, I really was looking forward to it, but it just didn't pan out. But there's always next year (my wife was there 3 of the 4 days, I made it once--what a jip!). Anyway, just curious Tom & Tracey--were you discussing Irish mythology? If so, I would highly recommend The Tain, if you can deal with it. Its about Cuchulainn, the hound of Ulster. Finn MacCool is also quite entertaining. I took a class on Irish myth at UWM, and my wife has about 200 books on Irish myth and history--if you're interested in anything, let me know--we'd be happy to lend some to you! Hope you guys had fun!

7. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Tracey was wearing a t-shirt with the likeness of Finn McCruel on it. I asked her if it was a historical figure, which prompted all the discussion.

8. Rogue_Eleven

Rogue_Eleven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2002
    Wampas - I completely understand about the sunblock thing. :) I got burned after my shift, I was so glad I was in a tent for most of the afternoon.

9. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    The name of the book is "Finn MacCool" by Morgan LLyllwelyn (she spells his last name differently, probably for us American folk).
    Some of her other works are "Bard","Druids"(reading at the moment), "Lion of Ireland"(really good about Brian Boru) "Pride of Lions", "Red Branch"(haven't read yet, one of her first books) and "Grania". She has some other books as well, one is "1916" about the Irish Revolution and a couple of others that I know nothing about. So, there ye be!

10. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Well, I have to say that you Milwaukee folk throw a heck of a party. I was there from like 3 - midnight on Saturday, and pleasantly drank and window shopped my way through the day. We also watched the Trinity Dancers (yeah!), although we had to sit through Carmel Somebody to make sure we had good seats (ouch!). Later we watched Leahy, and was amazed that anyone could play the fiddle and step dance at the same time. [face_shocked]

But a fun day overall, and thanks for the info on the hotel!

~H~

11. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Hey Darth Jurist--

If you like Irish fiddle playing, check out any of Natalie MacMaster's stuff. She plays great reels and jigs, and she's easy on the eyes, too. This was the first time in 3 years she wasn't at Irish Fest, so you may be able to catch her next year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.