main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anybody interested on playing a PbP game right here?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by CharlieHickok-, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    geez.... dont take things too personal, thats why its called role playing.

2. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    Not personal, call it professional...

I like to see good, inspiring, interesting, complex role-playing games. The rules are an important factor in this and the manner they are applied. So whilst a character may have the greatest background ever, when their stats doi not reflect an interesting character, they are not an interesting character (obviously these are just my requirements, if people aren't happy without super-stats, play away, just not in my games)

Frankly even using your system the chances of getting a acharacter with everything 10 or above are fairly reasonable, but a character with everything above 12? It drops below 1 in 10 (even though my combinatorics are a bit rusty). Take the chances of what, 5 or 6 characters having this? Your odds are even lower...

3. Diverjkc

Diverjkc Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2002
    And before you say you're not making a movie, it's SW:RPG, it's a movie.

I totaly agree on that point. But your logic is flawed. In Ep2, ObiWan had no stat under 13, Anakin had none under 12. In Ep4 Luke had none under 12 and Leia (even being a diplomat, where physical skill isn't very important) had no stat under 11. While I am on the subject, I fail to see any major character (aside from force-users who can bolster their stats with enhace ability) who has less than 10 on any stat. Even R2-D2 has 14 STR. Whats he gonna use that for?

With all that aside, Lando was much more charming than Han, (even though there is only a 1 point difference in their CHA) because of their background and personality. Sure Han could probably sell sand to a Jawa if he wanted to, but he probably wouldn't want to. Lando, on the other hand, would start his own sand-bottling factory if he could sell just one.

If Han was controled by someone, lets call him PC1, and Leia controled by PC2 and the GM was named George, George would notice that the character Han Solo was very self centered and usualy semi-violent. George would also know that the Character Leia Organa has a soft spot for "scruffy" men, although she dosn't like to show it. Placing the two of them together is just natural and if PC1 and PC2 play Han and Leia correctly, they will fall in love, and Han will be torn between the carrier he enjoys and the woman he loves. This is the essence of RPGs, decisions made where a 5 or a 20 on a stat make no difference. Emotion and turmoil are what make RPGs interesting, and combat is what makes them exciting. Excitement is not always necessary, but if you have it, it better be good, or your audience will walk out.

4. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    JediBendu, debates about heroic vs non-heroic characters aside, i think you're putting too much emphasis on the the attributes. they really don't make as much of a difference as levels, skills, and feats.

characters with high stats across the board are not going to be good at everything. they'll have the potential to be good at a lot of things, but there are precious few skill points and feats to go around, and so they will have to make hard decisions about what they're actually good at.

it's almost impossible to make a jack-of-all-trades character in the SW d20 system. even if you want to make, say, a heavy combat character, you still have to make choices about specialties. someone who focuses on blasters is going to be very different from someone who specializes in martial arts, or melee weapons, or sniper skills, or small-unit leadership, etc etc etc.

in my tabletop game, i was very generous with the attributes and i started them at level 8. on paper, these characters are sick. however, in actual practice, they have one thing they're really, really good at, and everything else they're OK or worse. the Infiltrator is fantastic at breaking into places, sneaking up on guards, and taking them out quietly, but if a blasterslinger-type corners her, she's toast. the pilot can dodge asteroids in his sleep, but that's what he does. the changeling can shape-shift really well, and knows a lot about different alien species and such, but that's literally all. etc etc etc.

in any case, it's not the GMs job to keep the players weak. that mindset stems from the weird Puritanical mindset of early D&D, where the DM was basically supposed to stock dungeons full of monsters for the heroes to kill, and a party full of superpeople was a sign that the DM was too soft or weak. thankfully, RPGs have grown beyond that into a focus on story and character rather than the adversarial acquistive PCs-vs-stingy DM system.

it's the GMs job to create a game that everyone enjoys, which means making sure everyone gets to contribute something and that that the challenges the PCs face are appropriate to their skills. there's nothing inherently better, purer, or more noble about a game where everyone has scores in the 10-12 range than there is about one where everyone runs around with multiple 18s. it simply doesn't matter. all that matters is whether or not the players have fun and the challenges aren't too easy or too hard for whatever skill level they happen to have.

5. CharlieHickok-

CharlieHickok- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2003
    Bendu, mathematicay speaking, isn't the chance to get an 18 same as the chance to get 1?

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Bendu, mathematicay speaking, isn't the chance to get an 18 same as the chance to get 1?

Only for 3d6 rolling, not for 4d6 rolling -- it's 1/6^3 for 3d6 and 1/6^4 (for a 3) vs. 5/(6^4) (for an 18).

;)

7. Deak_Alder

Deak_Alder Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2003
    Sorry it took me so long to get mine posted. I had to get my RCB back from my friend.

Rayf Haken: Adult Male Human, Noble 3; Init +2 (+2 Dex); Def 15 (+2 Dex, +3 Class); Spd 10m; VP/WP 16/11; Atk +2 melee (+2, Combat Gloves), +2 melee (1d3, punch), +4 or +0/+0 ranged (3d8, Blaster [Heavy Pistol]), +4 ranged (3d4, Blaster [Hold-out]); SQ Favor +2, Inspire Confidence, Noble bonus class skill (Pilot), Resource Access; SV Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +3; SZ M; FP: 0; Rep: +1; Str 11, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 15.
    Equipment: 1450 credits, Blank DataCards (for DataPad, 10), Blaster [Heavy Pistol], Blaster [Hold-out], Code Cylinder, Combat Gloves, Comlink [Encrypted], DataPad, Energy Cell x9, Flight suit, Medpac x2, Power pack x10, Utility Belt
    Skills: Astrogate +5, Bluff +5, Computer Use +8, Diplomacy +8, Disguise +8, Knowledge (Tactics) +8, Pilot +11, Profession (Military Officer) +6, Read/Write Basic, Sense Motive +6, Speak Basic
    Feats: Skill Emphasis (Pilot), Starship Dodge (starfighter), Starship Operation (starfighter), Weapons Group Proficiency (blaster pistols, simple weapons)
    Bio: Rayf was raised a child of privilege on Ralltiir. The son of a diplomat he was given the best of everything. When he took an interest to flying his father bought him an Incom T-65B X-Wing indulging Rayf's "passing fancy", but when Rayf decided to make his living as a pilot his father cut him off. Having been spoiled all his life he didn't know what to do so he took his savings, a meager 6000 credits, hopped in his X-wing and left Ralltiir for good to join the Rebel Alliance.

Rayf joined the fleet shortly after the battle of Yavin and has worked hard to attain the position of Lieutenant in Blue Squadron.

8. CharlieHickok-

Sep 18, 2003
    whoa...
    I don't know for what reason, but I was thinking d20 there:)
    But I'd think the same works for any kind and noumber of dice, but you seem pretty sure:)

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't know for what reason, but I was thinking d20 there:)
    But I'd think the same works for any kind and noumber of dice, but you seem pretty sure:)

Yes, on a d20 the chance of getting a 1 or an 18 is the same (5%/1 in 20) but Bendu was specifically addressing stats which are rolled via d6 rolls, which is what I thought you were addressing.

10. CharlieHickok-

Sep 18, 2003
    And what is ^3 is it like this:
    2^3=8
    I don't know the english term for it:)

11. Deak_Alder

Deak_Alder Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2003
    yes the ^ symbol is called a carrot and the operation is called a power. basically 2^3 = 2x2x2 = 8. And his probability is right. On a single dice the probability is the same for all numbers, but when using multiple die you have to factor in the number of combinations that can be made to equal the result.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Exactly right. 2^3 == 2*2*2 == 8

13. CharlieHickok-

Sep 18, 2003
    Thanks guys, it's really hard to talk about math when I don't know the terms in english.

14. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Let us remember that no matter what the stats are... you can still roll a 1.

15. CharlieHickok-

Sep 18, 2003
    I'm working on a campaign set during the NJO era, only without the Vong.
    PCs would be teenagers, obducted from their homes, and brought to a sith academy on an unknown planet.
    The emphasys will be on RPing, this won't be just hack n slash.
    You will all start as lvl 0 commoners(you just get proffesion ranks in whichever proffesion you want), and chose a class to which you will advance to.
    Before every lvl up, you will tell me what class do you want for your next lvl.
    So if anybody's interested, shoot me a mail at tyrokclaw@hotmail.com, with a char bio and proffesion(you get 5 ranks).

-Dp4m, I didn't post here, beacouse people think that all the games here have allready started, and yes, we won't be playing here.
    Sorry if you wasn't refering to this thread.

16. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Any games still open? I might join one if there is.

A few Q's though: Will there be any Dice rolling? If so, who roles, GM or PC?
    2nd: Do I need to know most of the d20 Rules?
    3rd: Do you mind a Newb?

Thanks,
    Jabba

17. CharlieHickok-

Sep 18, 2003
    Sorry, but I'm looking for more expirienced players.

18. Protoss72000

Protoss72000 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    I still wouldn't mind being a GM for a game if there are enough people to start one up.

19. MethaneDealer

MethaneDealer Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    I'm interested if anyone plans to run a SHORT campaign (or at least they don't mind me leaving when Jan. 20 gets here, Spring semester's going to be tough). All I ask is no "nose leading." I hate that. 2 of the DMs I've had in the last 4 years have done that crap and it drives me up the wall. Example:

Me: Okay, I open the door and look inside.

DM: When you go in the door, the ceiling caves in...

Me: Look @#$% it, I didn't say that I went in, I just said I looked in the @#$% door!!

Or they'll pull this crap:

Me: Okay, I jump out the window and cast Featherfall about 15 feet from the ground so I'm not a sitting duck for the archers.

DM: You still take damage from the sudden deceleration because the laws of physics say BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

Me: Look stupid, the spell description says that no matter when the spell activates, you don't take falling damage...

DM: I don't care, you still take damage.

As long as nobody pulls that sort of crap (and I realize this is SW and not D&D), I'll be fine and enjoy myself. I have no compunctions against evil characters and wouldn't mind playing an evil character if the GM allows it. I prefer characters above 1st level, but again, I'm content to start at 1 if you so desire.

20. IkritMan

IkritMan Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    An RPG online!! Cool! Can the GM PM me when you are done with this game? I'd love to play on the next one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.