main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

anybody know how to make belts/holsters?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by SithKittie, Jul 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithKittie

SithKittie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2003
    i have not a clue how to do this. i made the belts for a jedi costume and that is it. and that didn't require anything fancy. I'm doing Aurra Sing's costume but any help on making any holster or belt would be incredibly helpful. I just don't even really know where to start.

you have to copy and paste the link, but it goes to a page with some pictures of what I need, but, like I said, any general pointers would be enormously helpful.

http://www.geocities.com/aurrasing118/fullbodypics.html

2. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I'm at the same point with my latest costume now. I am in the process of making a holster that I will strap on to my thigh, that I can hang my "Blaster" from, I just picked up a belt today that I am going to use as my first attempt, I plan to measure it around my leg, then cut it, leaving a few inches to add some holes to punch holes in the leather. Then take the left over bit of leather, and loop it, and attaching it back to the belt using some metal studs.

I haven't done any work with leather before, but this seems like a really basic thing to do. I'll let you know how it works :)

3. elismor

elismor Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2002
    I had a professional leatherworker friend make my jedi belt and it's fantastic. I'm sure he could do holsters and the like if given enough direction on how you want it to look.

Drop me a private email and I'll be happy to pass along his name and address. He does great work.

Lisa
    (elismor at earthlink dot net)

4. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Belts are easy if you buy precut strips. Just add buckles and holes and you're done. I buy my leather supplies from Tandy Leather.

I've recently made a couple of holsters for some water pistols I'm making into blasters. For a custom smuggler outfit. It's not really that hard, but there are a lot of steps and you need to have the proper tools to do it right.

I've been getting into leather working and have been buying several hundred dollars worth of tools, which I'm sure is beyond a lot of people's budgets.

Here's a link to the message board at Obi-Wan's Jedi Academy where I describe how I made my holster with pictures of it Holster Making Description

5. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    Thanks guys. I got in touch with one of the guys from the 501st and he told me about 'wetforming' which, yeah, it makes sense but I'm a bit slow when it comes to stuff like that :p

I've heard a lot about Tandy Leather. Are they good to buy from? My budget is pretty tight for now, specially since I quit my job, but hopefully next month I'll be able to start collecting parts again.

I thought of using a regular belt and adding a holster on, but Sing's look to be all one piece. *grumble grumble*

Again, thanks a million. I'll check out the links, though I'm not too keen on having someone make them for me. (I'm one of those people who has to do everything on her own :p) but thanks for the lead. *goes to check out links*

6. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    another possibility is going to garage sales and looking for attatchable holsters. For my Jedi costume(I know Jedi dont use guns, I guess I am just an outcast then :D) that I have right now I am just using one of my brothers tacticle holsters, that he got at a garage sale and doesn't use, it doesn't fit my gun that well but with some work it will.

Forcebewitya!

7. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I've bouhgt all my leather stuff from Tandy, they are very reasonable and if you need help just give them a call....they have people on hand that can assist you in finding what you need (particularly cool if you don't know the proper names for stuff, like me)
  8. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    I agree with Karma. I've been using Tandy for probably 12 years and have always been happy with them.

9. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    Thanks guys, good info to know. We'll see how it all works out. (still have to get the blasters first :p)

10. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    ok, sad that i actually 'dream' about stuff like this, but i woke up this morning after a bizzare dream and i think i figured out how to make the shape - minus the wetforming of course, i still dun have the blasters. I was thinking about cutting the belt, holster backing, and thigh strap all out of one piece. planning on using posterboard first then vinyl for play. Does anybody know where to get the buckles like sing has? preferably not online but i'll stoop there if i have to. what do you guys think of my idea? make sense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.