main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ohio Anybody see Harry Potter? Discussion thread. Possible spoilers. First post safe.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jade-Walker, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I went and saw this last night with my family.
    I tend to be quite a purist when it comes to movie adaptations of books that I've enjoyed. But I have to say that I really enjoyed it! I think that they did a great job! I didn't see how they could do this book, which is extremely action-packed and could have easily been two boos, into one 2-1/2 hour movie. But they did it. They touched on all of the really major action and plots. And they moved from one to the other pretty well without it seeming rushed.

I also liked that this one was definitely not geared towards kids. There weren't the cutsey things that were in the 1st two movies. Or the annoying talking head from the third. :rolleyes: The overall dark motif was interesting--the more gothic style of the castle and grounds, the color tone of the film, and the score.

There were some minor inconsistencies with the book, but this time they didn't bother me. Like excluding Dobby. I would have liked to have seen him, but it probably made it easier not to put him in there from a special effects and from a plot standpoint.

The only two things that I really wanted to see and didn't were the following:
    The Veilas dance at the World Cup
    Krum call Hermione "Hermioninny"
    Rather minor things, actually. So they didn't bother me too much.

I would have to say that without a doubt that this is the best movie of the four.
    All you adults should see it if you can. But make sure to review the previous 3 movies (or books) first. My parents didn't catch 2 and 3 and were a bit lost at times, but still really enjoyed it. :D

2. phantom_panther

phantom_panther Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2005
    Hey, I went Sat. I've read all the books to date and was quite pleased with Goblet. I agree with you in that I am glad that they clearly made it no longer a kids story. However I was not heart broken to say the least when we did not see any Dobby.

I did miss a few small plot points as well like the rest of the world cup quiddlige. But they made do. This is one of my favorites of the series and was over quite pleased. Now I a REALLY looking forward to the Order Of The Pheniox and of Course The Half Blood Prince. I can't wait to see more of Padfoot and Moony.

3. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    While they missed some plot points from the book, I didn't really miss some of them. The whole SPEW thing annoyed me in the book. The Ludo Bagman story was easy to cut out. Percy was absent. But, again, not necessary to the movie story.

The end did remind me of the end of Fellowship of the Ring where the end is just a prelude to the darker story coming up.

Are there any points which you would have liked to have seen?

4. phantom_panther

phantom_panther Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2005
    Yes I'm quite glad they got rid of SPEW. As for things I missed not a whole lot, they did a good job. The only way to include the entire story would be to make it LOTR length. And there are things that are in the book that make a better more in depth book but would do just the opposite in a movie.

I guess I liked it better than I thought I did.

5. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree. Movie adaptations and the books, by their nature, have to be focused differently. Books can expound on subtle plots and have a slower pace. They can explore ideas and thoughts. Movies, in contrast, have to be primarily visual. Thoughts and ideas have to be brought out by dialogue that my not have existed in the actual book.
    And this book was quite dense. I'm impressed by the job that they did.

Order of the Phoenix will be interesting. That book moved pretty slowly, IMO. There's a lot of Harry being persecuted that can be condensed. I'm sure that the majority of the focus of that movie will be on the visions that Harry has and on the events in the last 100 pages of the book. I'll be happy to see the fat cut from that story. ;)

6. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I must say that Goblet of Fire is definatly my favorite of the Harry Potter movies. I was really disappointed with Prisoner of Azkaban so I was a bit nervouse about this. But they did an amazing job, and hit on all the parts I really wanted to see. I saw it opening day...and since then I've seen it again twice. Excellent movie! :D Can't wait for number 5.

7. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I completely agree!
    I PoA was my favorite book and I was very disappointed in the movie. They didn't explain the origin of the map, who Padfot, Mooney, Prongs and Wormtail were--quite an important detail to leave out! They didn't explain about Harry's dad being an animagus and that's why his Petronus is the stag. Again, a bit of an important point.
    Then there was that talking head that I just found annoying [face_plain]

This one didn't have the "cutesy" stuff that tends to annoy me. And it summed up the book quite well. :)

8. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Exactly, Goblet of Fire definatly covered all the main parts. I will forgive them for the little stuff they missed because the adaption was so good. I hated that stupid head too...where exactly was that in PoA? :rolleyes:

9. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    It wasn't. I remember them saying that on the commentary. They just thought it would be good to add. :rolleyes:

10. Fitzhume

Fitzhume Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2005
    Ya that was done by the director to show his filming background. I didn't care for how they switch around the grounds and such in PoA. Alot of stuff wasn't need but alot was left out that was necessary for the store. I was also skeptical about GoF. But glad I saw it on opening night. Still have to see it again to take more of it in. I felt the stuff they left out was the right stuff to leave out. It told the whole story as closest to the book as they did. Yet I'm with you Jade on wanting to see more at the World Cup matches. Would have explained more of why the guys were oogling over Fleur because she's part Veela. They left out all the house elves stuff which was fine. Wasn't needed to for the main plot at all. I'm looking forward to the next one. By far that was my most fav out of the books. Ok..done rambling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.