main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone Agree With Me?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by matty_bon, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matty_bon

matty_bon Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    i want some more novels based in the prequel area of the movies...not these kiddie jedi apprentice books...which are really...well...crap

cloak of deception and rogue planet were pretty good, and i'm still yet to pick up the approaching storm (which i'm really looking forward to) but i want more novels where the jedi are at their full power

otherwise i'll have to buy the comics, and i'd much rather novels

2. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Don't really care for prequel novels all that much, but whatever makes the people happy.

3. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
  4. mirax_T

mirax_T Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 1999
    i'd agree on the no more kid books :)

5. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    The only prequel novel i've ever read is Rouge Planet, and the only reasoni did that was bvecasue i heard about the far outsiders in it.

What are the prequel novels so far? And not the kiddie junior novels.

6. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Cloak of Deception
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter (w/ Darth Maul: Saboteur)
    The Phantom Menace
    Rogue Planet
    The Approaching Storm
    Attack of the Clones

7. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    I like the prequel novels, but I prefer the NJO time period.

8. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I hate th prequals, GL is manipulating the EU to draw attention back to himeself...

9. 181st Fighter Wing

181st Fighter Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2000
    I'd prefer Rebellion era novels.

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    And don't forget Matt Stover's upcoming prequel novel :D

wk

11. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    So far, most of the prequel novels haven't had enough room to truly influence anything. Very few events with any long-term consequences have taken place, and most new characters have been killed off. This is okay for a few books, but to write an entire series, writers need more freedom to work in. That's why we probably won't see many prequel-era novels until after Episode III is out.

12. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    I'm half-way through Rogue Planet and I really like it. I would like to buy Cloak of Deception, but it's still in hardcover!

13. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    ah, another cheepo, like me...
    i haven't even gotten SbS yet.

14. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    i personally don't like prequel books. i like to stick with post-endor books

~NiKe SKyLaRK~

15. Mighty_Green_Midget

Mighty_Green_Midget Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    Put Star Wars on anything in big letters, and ill read it. :D

I dont buy the prequels until they come out in paperback because I prefer NJO, but i still try to read them.

Chissdude...you and your conspiracy threories. :D

16. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    The prequels don't really appeal to me, but they are kinda necessary i guess, so i may read a few inbetween school books and the next NJO. Plus, it would give some much needed background to Episode 2.....

17. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I like the prequel books mostly because they make the prequel movies better. TPM made more sense after reading CoD, although most prequels are less active than the post-RotJ stuff.

18. matty_bon

matty_bon Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    CoD was nice..really gave an insight into chancellor valorum and palpy

it does make me respect TPM more because of it...but the movie should still be able to hold it's own

19. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I'd rather see ToTJ Era novels.

20. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yes Knight I agree with you. I'm reading TAS now and I'm not to pleased with it so far.

21. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >I hate th prequals, GL is manipulating the EU to draw attention back to himeself...

ROTFLOL. Whoo, hee hee, ha ha... [face_laugh] :D :p :) That is *the* funniest thing I've ever heard on the boards.

I think Literature fans have gotten far too "novel-centric." The EU is a multi-media experience, and if you limit yourself to reading only the adult novels, and dismissing all other parts of it, you're missing out on quite a bit.

Naturally you're going to have more prequel-era stuff in the YA novels and the comics, because A: the kids series are released every other month, and the comics every month, so there are just more of them, and B: they got a head start. Rouge Planet wasn't relesed until a year after TPM, whereas JA came out the month before, and the Ongoing series started several months before.

TC

22. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Hence why I'd rather see novels set in the ToTJ era. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing some more comics in that era, but it was the comics that set up that era that draw my attention to it. Most of the comics seem to be set during the Galactic Civil War and New Republic eras, so far a few seem to have been set during the Prequel Era. The ToTJ era has what appears to be the second most set in it, coming in after the Galactic Civil War and New Republic eras.

And if you want to see the Jedi in their full glory, it seems this is a better era to see it in. In the Prequel era the Jedi seem much more hesitant to do anything. Yes, their suppose to be more like diplomats at this time, resorting to force when there is no other option. But it seems like they would rather sit around and contimplate the Force than be sent out to help others. Also, the galaxy seems to be fairly calm during this era. Sure, some things do crop up from time to time that threatens the Republic, but not that often.

But in the ToTJ era the Jedi seemed more likely to be willing to help others. And it is also a time where the galaxy is still facing turbulent times. The Jedi must act not only as peacekeepers but as protectors as well.

23. rave_jedi

rave_jedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    I have read all the prequel books (except kiddie Jedi Apprentice) and I read all the post-Endor books. Each time period has its appeal to me. However I will say that post-Endor , especially NJO are more appealing because the authors get to expand on characters, and cool characters do not die (all the time) by the end of the book. For example in Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, my favorite prequel book, you know that Darsha Assant and dammit, his name isnt coming to me, but the information broker have to die at the end. Though I do admit the way he died after thinking he was safe because Palpatine gave him protection was priceless.

-- Jedi Knight Marcus ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.