Anyone been to a John Williams Concert?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by MomMaster, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    I'm sure that won't be allowed when I go see him with CSO, but I'm quite glad. I attend a lot of classical orchestra concerts and can't stand it when someone behind me talks and I have to turn around and tell them to be quiet. I can't even imagine what I would do if I saw someone with a lightsaber, but I assume the Hollywood Bowl is a completely different kind of experience and atmosphere that I will probably never get the chance to experience...
  2. DarthTiki Force Ghost

Who is going on Saturday to the Bowl?
  3. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I went to the Bowl yesterday. Great concert, as usual. :D

Here was the lineup:

ROSZA "Parade of the Charioteers" from Ben Hur
    KORNGOLD March from Robin Hood
    HERRMANN "Scene d'Amour" from Vertigo
    STEINER, arr. MORLEY Theme from Gone With The Wind
    STEINER, arr. WILLIAMS Theme from "Now Voyager"
    JARRE Excerpts from Dr. Zhivago (with film)
    JARRE Excerpts from Lawrence of Arabia (with film)

WILLIAMS March from Superman
    WILLIAMS Love Theme from Superman
    WILLIAMS Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra - Music from Catch Me If You Can
    WILLIAMS Three Pieces from Harry Potter
    "The Chamber of Secrets" (with film)
    "Aunt Marge's Waltz" (with film)
    "Harry's Wondrous World" (with film)
    WILLIAMS "Throne Room and Finale" from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Encoures:
    The Imperial March
    Sayuri's Theme - Memoirs of a Geisha
    Flying Theme - ET
    Raider's March

With the exception of some of the first songs, I taped most of the concert. I'm uploading the ones I can (a few won't fit on photobucket or youtube).
  4. DarthTiki Force Ghost

It was a solid show, I just regret not bringing my saber. Though I wish he'd do a show at the Disney in the fall.
  5. Regan21286 Force Ghost

star 1
    Sounds like the same list from I went to a while ago. We made him play the Star Wars main theme and Duel of the Fates as encores. That was fun, cheering him on.
  6. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    He did Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes two years ago when the CSU Fullerton choir joined him for the concert. That was amazing. :D

My favorite part of the concerts is when a song starts, a few people cheer, then once it gets to the main part, the rest of the audience goes "Ooooh!" and applauds. [face_laugh]

I'm still working on uploading the ones I can. So far I only have two up:

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/legomania5/John%20Williams%202007/
  7. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Not John Williams, but same weekend and Star Wars related

I've been (along with a bunch of other FanForcers and SW Fans) to the concert of the London Symphony Orchestra at Canary Wharf in London

Not enough Star Wars, but plenty of good music

They opened (after the Fox FanFare, that is) with Star Trek and then some stuff I've never heard before, like Out of Africa, JFK and When the Eagles ... Fly? Soar? Whatever.
    Also, SPR's Hymn to the Fallen.

First highlight, though, was FotR's Breaking of the Fellowship - I actually teared up again for the first time in ages.
    I think E.T., Jurassic Park, Superman and Call of the Champions were all before the break

After the break they started with The Incredibles, with was weird, as it's originally so much more jazzy.
    Also, the Rocky theme and James Bond

I would have loved to hear some Geisha music, but eh.

The Star Wars part fortunately took long, but it was only three pieces (unless I'm forgetting one)
    - Main Theme/ Rebel Blockade Runner + a long End Credits version
    - Imperial March
    - Throne Room with a long End Credits version
    - ImpMarch again o_O

Not enough, but wonderful to listen to

what was amazing was that it sounded almost perfectly like the versions from the CDs. I have a few recordings of other orchestras playing it and the difference is huge. This one had a somewhat overenthusiastic piccolo, but other than that it was absolutely spot-on. Now, I'm not much of an audiophile, but I do know my SW music.

Wonderful evening!
  8. Cellist Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, looks like it was an awesome concert, Miana! I really wish John Williams would come to Florida.:(

9. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I'm really bummed. A lot of the songs are more than 5 minutes and won't upload. :(
  10. The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus

star 7
    It's always been a dream of mine, but I don't think I'll make it before he retires. :(
  11. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Come to Southern California next summer, Fish! Bring Yvette down too, then we can go to the yearly concert at the Bowl. :D
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.